Skitch High Sierra bug draggin the image will post the first screenshot you took

mvaneijgen

Idea

Because it is difficult to explain I have made a screen cast of the thing that happens. 

But in short, you have to force quit skitch to place the correct image, when you keep it open it will always place the first screenshot you took (see youtube link) this only happened to me since High Sierra Mac OS 10.13

73 replies to this idea

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this and for your patience. We've filed a case for this issue with our Skitch developers and the fix is slated for the next update, version 2.8.1. I don't currently have an estimate on when that's going to be released. I will continue to update this thread with more information as I receive it, let me know if there are any questions.

Crickets from Evernote.   How extremely disappointing.   Skitch is one of my favorite Mac apps.   Please release an update.  I don't need full-blown evernote.

If there isn't something soon, I will go look at Snagit, which many people say does everything Skitch did (when it worked).

Well, SnagIt costs $49 which seems like highway robbery.  To to screen recordings I just use quicktime player, so I really only need quick, simple, efficient screenshots and marking up of them.   There must be something else out there. 

Based on an earlier post, I have replaced with TechSmith's SNAGGIT.  Does everything skitch does and much more/better (including scrolling capture, video, etc) as well as having many more editing and markup options and effects.  

Today is 05/01/2018 drag/drop bug is still unsolved. Everytime I have to select png and back to jpg to send actual print screen. It cost me some extra clicks plus few mistakes that can be very annoying if you use messenger. Today I have to say goodbye to Skitch and search for some other alternatives. Good luck!

I usually stop short of knocking on doors asking if people want to hear the word of Skitch. Seriously, everyone loves my issues and pull requests filled with screenshots and arrows. 

Or at least I was, until I upgraded to High Sierra, just to see all sorts of low-level utilities go with flying marks, but Skitch showing both bugs (continuous crashes and messing up the screenshots). I'd purchase it (but not Evernote, not interested in it), but given they apparently bought Skitch just to suck its features and close, I'm evaluating TechSmith SnagIt. ?‍♂️ 

On 11/14/2017 at 12:22 PM, ___ said:

Also broken for me, please fix this.

I just accidentally dumped some super sensitive information to someone after dragging the wrong image into slack. 

This is a risk.  It NEEDS to be fixed.

Good news: last week I got the following answer from the Evernote support (this is my translation of the German original message).

Our Development Team works with highest priority on a solution wich should be available in the first half of January.

Though they did not mention the year I guess it should be 2018. ;-)

Does anyone have recommendations to alternatives?

There are a few others out there but my most needed feature that Skitch has is the ability to move and resize the capture window after dragging it out. It is nice to be able to do this before I capture a screenshot.

I would love any recommendations for alternatives.

Yes, same issue here (not dropping the most recent image). I use skitch every day, many times per day. Telling me that the same features are available in Evernote (for which I am paying) is not helpful. My usage of Skitch in my workflow is outside of my usage for Evernote. I need both, but not necessarily together.

Please fix this bug!

On 12/10/2017 at 12:12 AM, OldMan said:

Not exactly the same problem but if you begin to drag a jpg and you drop it while the small image is still over the Skitch window, Skitch freezes and you have to Force Quit.

I also have this some time, if you figured out how to reproduce the constantly I would create another topic. 

On 11/30/2017 at 11:36 PM, mvaneijgen said:

So I don't know if this is fixed by using the `brew cask install skitch` command or will work with every version, but this is better than quitting the app every time I take a new screenshot. 

Yes, I think you right. Once I set to sync with Evernote I ran into the exact same problems again. Sorry to have wasted your time. There's a couple people on my team who aren't running into this issue and that seemed to be the common denominator.

Monosnap FTW! Just deleted Skitch. Good riddance! I had all of the problems listed above. All have been fixed/replaced with Monosnap. Thank you to Stoic33 for originally recommending  it. It's a very similar workflow to Skitch although I haven't figured out how to save to Evernote automatically. I GLADLY paid the $5 for the upgrade.

Skitch/Evernote has lost a lot of money over this (and other issues) given the fact that we the users are dropping like flies and willing to pay for Monosnap, Snaggit, etc. Gee, if only Evernote would have charged for Skitch, maybe it would still work.

Hey Evernote moderators, as an Evernote ECC I am disgusted and ashamed to be affiliated in any way with you given your lack of support and updates. Do everyone a favor and shut down Skitch. At least then we as users will know where we stand.

I have followed this thread long enough, hoping that Evernote would grant us some love on the issue.  I took BruskiZA's suggestion and tried out Monosnap and it is awesome.  I have been trying it out for the past couple of weeks and today just uninstalled Skitch (RIP).

I have also cancelled my membership with Evernote and moved over to OneNote since it is free.  I think I still like Evernote more than moving to Microsoft, but not enough to make me stay at this point.  

Good luck everyone!  Try out monosnap...it is a great replacement.

On 1/26/2018 at 7:21 AM, BruskiZA said:

It's a real pity.

I have been using Skitch for years and would very much like to continue doing so.

However, until it's fixed, the best alternative I have seen so far (that's free) is http://monosnap.com/en/page/download/mac.

A real shame I'm having to use something else, Screenshotting and annotating screens is a big part of my workday and I need a tool that works.

Wow thanks, that is basically the same thing as Skitch and works super nicely. Thanks for the tip, didn't know that one and Snaggit is soooooo big and slow, typical bloatware.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mvaneijgen said:

this is really insane how it seems we just get no feedback.

Evernote have never (well,  hardly ever...) commented on what may or may not be in development,  or justified decisions one way or another.  If you want direct contact,  use https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not. 

5 hours ago, slowberd said:

I purchased Snagit from Techsmith and handily replaces Skitch.  It does 100 other things as well and can do scrolling captures which is useful. 

I am also currently trying snagit on my 2016 Macbook Pro. Is it normal the the capture cursor is SOOOO laggy and also the app in general is slow to start and come up after the capture... I think it is just too bloated compared to Skitch which is much faster. And I really don't need video or scrolling capture and all the other bells and whistles of Snagit. If it was fast it would be nice, but it is so slow.

5 hours ago, slowberd said:

I purchased Snagit from Techsmith and handily replaces Skitch.  It does 100 other things as well and can do scrolling captures which is useful. 

Thanks for you feedback, that sounds very nice. I'll will move to that one soon to, this is really insane how it seems we just get no feedback.

Hi josh_works 

Works great. Even purports to record GIFs but this doesn't work for me (if you need GIFs LICEcap is excellent and super slim). Everything else about Annotate is dope.  Thanks for the suggestion. Bye, skitch. 

Anyone know a good replacement for Evernote ;) 

On 24/01/2018 at 9:19 AM, josh_works said:

I recently stumbled across a great (and as far as I can tell, free) Skitch alternative. I downloaded it and have been using it for a few days, it's a perfect replacement.

It's called "Annotate App" by Linebreak. Link to the mac app store, if the forum will let me: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/annotate-capture-and-share/id918207447?mt=12

I spent months frustrated by Skitch breaking, including reading through all these posts, hoping for a solution.

I recently stumbled across a great (and as far as I can tell, free) Skitch alternative. I downloaded it and have been using it for a few days, it's a perfect replacement.

It's called "Annotate App" by Linebreak. Link to the mac app store, if the forum will let me: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/annotate-capture-and-share/id918207447?mt=12

I was shocked at how hard it was to find this app, given how perfectly it replaces Skitch. That's the only reason I CREATED AN ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM to post this message.

Good luck, everyone. I hope Annotate does what you need.

I cannot emphasise enough how disappointing it is Evernote that you are not supporting Skitch. I rely on this tool as part of my Evernote paid subscription. It is, in fact, one of the core reasons for being a subscriber to Evernote. You have historically not supported this awesome product very well and this is just another example of your lack of commitment to this too. Didn't you purchase Stich 1.0? Then you "updated" it which was already, in many people's opinion, a step backwards, and now it doesn't work. Please please please fix this asap. 

Same issue for me as well...I have been using CMD+C to copy the image and paste it manually...works for me in most scenarios, but there are some where I have to have the drag and drop.  I have no workaround for the constant crashing though :/.

I live by Skitch...hoping there is a fix here soon.

So glad I found this thread and that this isn’t just me. Yes this is driving me absolutely nuts. Evernote: please fix this ASAP. Seriously, my workflow is ruined. I’m currently looking for a better alternative to Skitch. If anyone has any suggestions i’m looking forward to hearing them!

Thanks,

9 hours ago, Brent Hoover said:

I was running into this but found installing it via the Homebrew Cask utility (instead of the APp Store version) resolved the issue for me. Might be a little difficult for people aren't comfortable with the command line but only involves copy and pasting a couple of commands to the terminal (and installing XCode to be fair)

https://caskroom.github.io/

Once brew and cask are installed it's just

`brew cask install skitch`

Thanks for the tip, it doesn't work though. I just tried it and it has exactly the same bug.

I was running into this but found installing it via the Homebrew Cask utility (instead of the APp Store version) resolved the issue for me. Might be a little difficult for people aren't comfortable with the command line but only involves copy and pasting a couple of commands to the terminal (and installing XCode to be fair)

This blows my mind Evernote!?!? You have a tool that is market leading which beautifully syncs with my single source of notes for I've forgotten how many years now and now you're letting it die and recommending a separate tool. I cannot remember a more frustrating week of force quitting, dragging previous screenshots into my presentations. You must not understand how useful it is to have the associated screenshots alongside the notes you're building around a deck. I would happily pay for Skitch as the benefits are huge for productivity and historical tracking in my line of work. Surely there's a business case here. It's terrible to see such an engaged audience be left so frustrated. Seems like a crazy decision. Just my 2 cents

On 19/10/2017 at 11:14, JaimeD dijo:

Any solution?.  without fix i can't use skitch anymore. 

Please Help

More than a month and no answer from EverNote. Now I use Snagit, it has everything that skitch has and much, much more.

9 hours ago, Brent Hoover said:

Thanks! By default the setting of Skitch (with a first install) "Save New Skitch Notes to Evernote" is equal to "Ask" if this is on this setting Skitch will ask you to discard the current screenshot, this is annoying, but if this is true the image will save properly, if not the issue persist. So I don't know if this is fixed by using the `brew cask install skitch` command or will work with every version, but this is better than quitting the app every time I take a new screenshot. 

Archived