Set a default image editor, open in editor on double-click

mds386

Idea

This used to work for me. I don't recall which version it was that it went away.

I used to be able to double-click on an image, which would let me annotate it in my preferred editor — in my case, Photoshop. I imagine that in a previous version, I was able to set that in options. Then I could double-click, edit the image, and save it, and the edited image would replace the original.

Now a double-click is bringing up the image in it's own window within Evernote. For me at least, that is useless. I don't want to just view it. I wanted to edit it in some way.

Yes, I can right click the image, and choose Photoshop from a list of about 5 image editors. But how can I assign a default option for double click to get back to where I used to be?

I'm using 6.7.5

20 replies to this idea

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be the case here (Win 10, 1703).  When I choose "Open With" and then "Choose Program", it brings up the default application menu for the .PNG file type (attached image).  .PNG is already associated with my preferred image viewer app, so there's nothing for me to do here.  When you double-click an image inside of a note, it continues to open in the internal Evernote image viewer.

The interesting part is that if you right-click an image file inside of a note, the default option (indicated by bold text) is "Open".  (Attached image.)  If you click "Open", it opens properly in the external app.

So it appears that when you double-click an image inside of a note, it does not perform the default action.  It is bypassing these open options and doing its own thing by opening in the internal Evernote image viewer.

Open With.png

Image Context Menu.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Taufan said:

6.9.2.6423 (306423) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494)

In my PC, double-click on image turns me into WHITE BLANK PAGE.

I must exit the app and open it again.

Also, when I right-click on the image there's no option "ALWAYS open" with my external photo editor.

How to fix this?

Very frustrated :(.

Known bug that has been reported.  Hopefully the next beta addresses the issue.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not having the same experience - I'm on Windows 10 and Evernote 6.9.2,  and my prompts are all Windows menus when I right-click an image and choose 'open with' -

Methinks the issue is double clicking not opening in the preferred app.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Taufan said:

Also, when I right-click on the image there's no option "ALWAYS open" with my external photo editor.

How to fix this?

Not having the same experience - I'm on Windows 10 and Evernote 6.9.2,  and my prompts are all Windows menus when I right-click an image and choose 'open with' -

ScreenClip.png.b2e87853d26ff75119b042a9947387d7.png5a427346333e7_ScreenClip1.png.a232d505bb3300431ec7648613808593.png

Open With gives me a list of possible software,  with Choose Program... at the bottom.  Select Choose, and I can see which is the default app and either retain that or choose another default.

(image upload seems flaky at the moment - I'll retry a little later...:huh:)

Edit: Pics added - glitch was down to my system settings.

How to fix this?

Changing the double-click picture editing option from user-preference to the Evernote viewer makes my day-to-day Evernote usage frustratingly inefficient. IMHO wrong move, and I don't understand the whys and what was gained by it. Please roll it back!

• Level 5*

Yeah, I think double clicking on an image only opens the EN viewer at this time.  Discussed in the beta thread when this feature was introduced.  Same thing happened to PDF viewer in the current beta (can't even double click to open a PDF in another app, have to right click and select).

I think I understand what you're saying.  But my intention here is to change that double-click action from the slideshow to simply opening the .PNG in the external application.  If I want to see a slideshow, I'd rather make that the right-click option.

It sounds like this option is not available and should be a feature request?  "Image Double-Click Action" [Open in Slideshow | Open in Default Program] or something.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, HighcardEN said:

when you double-click an image inside of a note, it does not perform the default action

Not strictly true.  Evernote have chosen the double-click to open the image in the 'slideshow' feature which (I think) will display multiple images in sequence if you have them in the note.  If you right-click and choose 'open',  then Windows will open it in the default application.  After I got resigned used to the change-over,  Windows now skips the choice screen and jumps straight to opening the image.

Hi,

After one of the recent updates to the desktop client, clicking an image in a note opens the image in the built-in Evernote image viewer, which is not very useful.  If you right-click the image and select "Open" or "Open With" it will open with your default image viewer application, but is there a way to make this the default again?

Thanks

I hope hard that there will be an option to select this "feature" because i NEED to edit fotos OFTEN and so it ist much more work do do with this new "feature".

so please evernote developers let us choose if we want to user "internal" editor or editor of OS!!!!

5 hours ago, dconnet said:

We (Windows devs) fought that. We lost. Hopefully in the future (don't read anything into this) we can make it an option...

;-)  I'd even take a registry tweak if that's the most they'll let you do.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:02 AM, gazumped said:

The bad news is that this is a default chosen by Evernote

We (Windows devs) fought that. We lost. Hopefully in the future (don't read anything into this) we can make it an option...

That was very helpful. On one PC, it's working. On the other, it was not and I need to look into why.  Right-click and open isn't so hard, but I wish I still had the old way of double-cliking and getting in. I have PhraseExpress as well and will look into seeing if I can have a hot key that will do the trick quicker.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The bad news is that this is a default chosen by Evernote - double-click opens a slideshow mode so you can scroll through all the pictures in your note.  There isn't a user-definable option.  The good news is that if you right-click the image and choose 'Open',  it will open in the default app set for that file type.  You (should) get a Windows pop-up with a list of installed apps,  the normal app choice highlighted,  and an option to set another app as the default if you wish.  A keypress opens the application and the image.

If you're doing a lot of processing,  a text expander like Phrase Express would allow you to assign a keyboard shortcut to do the same thing.

http://www.phraseexpress.com/

Archived