Paste and Match Style Behaves Unfavourably in 6.7.5 Update

davidhecker

Idea

In version 6.7.5, the behaviour of Paste and Match style has been altered - unfortunately for the worse. There are two main difference that I would prefer to have returned to their previous incarnations, or at least have a setting in the Options to change it back.

- Web links that were previously stripped out are now being included

- Bullet point lists copied from gmail used to come in as '- ', but now come in as bullets. This is super annoying as I don't want the actual bullets there anymore.

- Selecting text with a trailing space (such as '- ') results in the space not being copied anymore. It used to work just fine in 6.5.4. I know it's not being copied because I can copy the same text from Notepad to paste into Evernote, and the trailing space is maintained.

I use Evernote largely as a format-stripping tool when gathering text from multiple sources, but these changes have rendered the latest update useless for this task, and I now have to do much more manually than before.

Pleasepleaseplease can you revert these to the previous way they worked?

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I think the official definition of what happens during a paste and match style operation is here:

‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves 
   Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
   And the mome raths outgrabe.

I've just not been able to interpret it. Neither has anyone else in these forums.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, EdH said:

I think the official definition of what happens during a paste and match style operation is here:

‘Twas brillig, and the slithy toves 
   Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
   And the mome raths outgrabe.

I've just not been able to interpret it. Neither has anyone else in these forums.

I guess this means they run the pasted text through their vorpal blades -- or maybe more accurately, run the pasted text through with their vorpal blades... :) 

In truth, I think that they know what they mean, and have a spec and all of that, but it's one of those devlishly tricky things to get implemented just exactly perfectly; at least that's my sense of it, from outside the bubble. One of those Rubik's Cube deals where you can get five sides right pretty easily, but getting the sixth side right ruins one of the other ones (and no, I never solved it).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

I guess this means they run the pasted text through their vorpal blades -- or maybe more accurately, run the pasted text through with their vorpal blades... :) 

In truth, I think that they know what they mean, and have a spec and all of that, but it's one of those devlishly tricky things to get implemented just exactly perfectly

I'm not sure since it seems to morph with each iteration. Seems a perfectly cromulent way to do it though.

Archived