(Archived) What's the elephant called?

I asked our marketing guys, and even suggested some options (e.g. "Stampy", "Brainy"). They weren't impressed, so I went back to my cave ...

So I don't think it currently has a name.

And here's my suggestion:

Kandula

from Wikipedia:

Kandula, the most famous elephant of Sri Lanka was given to an infant prince Dutugemunu in the 2nd century BC. The king and his elephant grew up together.

(Mainly because I like the bit that says 'The king and his elephant grew up together'. I think that neatly fits with Evernote.)

• Level 5*

Naw, names aren't limiting; they're just names (see also Wm. Shakespeare, Gertrude Stein)...

I had seen the unicorn meat issue too. Ridiculous. Up hereabouts in Maine, a few years back, there was a campaign to promote lobster as "the ultimate white meat'. Of course, the pork producers protested, and it became a federal case. *sigh*

~Jeff

• Level 5*

I'm thinking that you don't want Evernote software associated with rats. It's ripe for photoshopping the image into a rat-like countenance, too.

[+1 for the clever suggestion, though]

~Jeff

I'm thinking that you don't want Evernote software associated with rats.

Not to mention packrats/hoarders don't have the same cachet of someone who can quickly retrieve info they are looking for. (B/C IME, packrats & hoarders typically can't find things they are looking for. They know "...it's around here, somewhere...oh, LOOK! I was looking for this a couple of months ago!!!")

[+1 for the clever suggestion, though]

Indeed.

Yeah, as much as I like a good cease and desist letter ...

Don't even know where to begin with that one - sense of humour by-pass in operation somewhere.

I love the humour in all this but sadly there might be a good reason for that letter. When I worked for the Unix division of AT&T (a very long time ago) there was a department called ZOOM (Zero Occurence Of Misuse). This department's sole function was to issue these sort of letters to anyone misusing the Unix trademark because under trademark law (at least at that time) if the trademark holder wasn't deemed to have defended the trademark sufficiently then it could be revoked so AT&T routinely pounced on stuff like this. I suspect these lawyers had standing orders to do similar.

Either that or there were unicorns secretly controlling the law firm and/or the national pork board.

- Julian

Yeah, it's all pretty funny, but US Trademark law is the main reason. If you don't actively enforce a trademark, then the law says that you don't really care about it, and it can go away. So everyone has to do stupid stuff like that just to maintain their trademarks. Not as much of a problem with other IP like copyright, patent, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived