"Assign Tags" dialog (similar to Windows client)

What I am searching for

The "Assign Tags" dialog on Windows, for Mac.
image.png.0d6296b35858ba015928d3c7f6708dd2.png 

I found a great reply implied that there was no equivalent functionality on Mac back in 2015.

What I am trying to do

My implementation of GTD workflow relies heavily on tags. For example, every note should have assigned at least one project, context, energy, time, and priority tags. For each note, there are about 5~10 tags assigned to it.
On Windows client, the "Assign Tags" dialog helped a lot. I can see all assigned tags in one same view while editing tags.
For Mac client, even with editor window maximized, it is not unusual the single-lined tags field cannot display all the tags assigned. Especially with the relatively small screen of MacBook.

image.thumb.png.a8eec0a91a59ea758060b76ed1e97894.png

Workaround
Copying tags field to a text editor (or simply another new note). It would become a comma-separated list. With line-wrap turned on, I was able to refer to that list while editing tags field.

image.thumb.png.7508e60c5aef4f373809346b0ce5434b.png

Beside the "Assign Tags" dialog solution, "multi-lined tags field" were also suggested to solve a similar problem.

Personally, I prefer the "Assign Tags" dialog.

I know some people implement GTD using tags too. I was wondering if they are facing the same problem, and how they deal with it. Any kind of suggestion would be welcome. Thanks.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, kttann said:

What I am searching for

The "Assign Tags" dialog on Windows, for Mac.

Sadly, the tag picker list hasn’t made it to the Mac platform
I was wondering how you restricted the list to just the GTD Tags?

>>For example, every note should have assigned at least one project, context, energy, time, and priority tags. For each note, there are about 5~10 tags assigned to it.

59ce2b6000913_ScreenShot2017-09-29at04_14_44.png.f55f101e779d2b893b1dd08da229c844.pngFor my processing, I use applescript to generate a selection list.  
I have complete control of the list items; hardcoding, parent tag, ...

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Sadly, the tag picker list hasn’t made it to the Mac platform
I was wondering how you restricted the list to just the GTD Tags?

Actually, I didn't.
I simply checked "Hide unassigned tags" and there happened to be only GTD tags assigned to that note.
By following certain tag naming convention, I don't feel there is a need to do so.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

>>For example, every note should have assigned at least one project, context, energy, time, and priority tags. For each note, there are about 5~10 tags assigned to it.

59ce2b6000913_ScreenShot2017-09-29at04_14_44.png.f55f101e779d2b893b1dd08da229c844.pngFor my processing, I use applescript to generate a selection list.  
I have complete control of the list items; hardcoding, parent tag, ...

I am not sure I understand your solution correctly.
I suppose that you typically create a new GTD note by selecting one template from the dialog you programmed with AppleScript. Is that correct?
If so, it seems to be a pretty good solution to me. It would definitely speed up my creating process. I would love to take some time to tinker around AppleScript.

Is it possible to even generate our own "tag picker dialog" with AppleScript?  There are times I have to edit tag list of an existing note.
btw, I know nothing about AppleScript. So if it sounds silly...:rolleyes:

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, kttann said:

I am not sure I understand your solution correctly.

You saw the list generated by the script.
The example was a template list, but it could be any items I choose; for example a list of projects

It's functional, but I'd like to have the checkbox 

After selecting the entries, the script will execute any actions I coded
This could include assigning tags as in "at least one project, context, energy, time, and priority tags"

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

After selecting the entries, the script will execute any actions I coded
This could include assigning tags as in "at least one project, context, energy, time, and priority tags"

I get it.
So it's totally possible to assign a serial of tags to an existing note.
I will just have to design dialogs matches my own flow.

Will give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Archived