hi, how do i automatically update to the latest version of evernote for windows?

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're replying to (or commenting on) a previous conversation here -

Why not continue in that thread?

If you can,  it would be useful to have a screenshot of what you can see on your screen when the Evernote window is open...

• Ex Employees

If you've installed the app from the Windows app store, you're on the latest version available from there. If  you want 6.7.5 you'll need to uninstall the Windows App Store version and install the direct download (DDL) from : https://evernote.com/download/

To uninstall the App store version, please go to the "Apps and Features" setting in your WIN 10 PC. The "uninstall a program" option from the control panel will not list the version of the app installed from the Microsoft Windows App store. 

38 minutes ago, 226407_1450305075 said:

I do not have the  tools - options - general - automatically check for updates on my evernote 

This is a good indication that you're using the store version. 

• Ex Employees
12 hours ago, 226407_1450305075 said:

why is it that I do not see the tools - general- options- automatically check for updates on my evernote for windows?    

This option is not visible with the Windows app store version. You will see this option after uninstalling it and installing the direct download from https://evernote.com/download/

To extend what Austin mentions

- The direct download version is installed via traditional Microsoft installer technology (MSI). So it has to periodically "ping" the server to see if there's an upgrade (or you can do that with 'Check for Upgrade') and then run that installer.

- The Windows Store version has no need to ping for a new version because the Store will automatically push a new version. When we release a new version to the store, there is NO option to NOT upgrade. (So, all those people who want to revert to an older version of EN - you can't do that with the Store version)

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I have a similar question : normally, Evernote is automaticly updated on my computer, only this time with the version 6.7.5 its telling me that I have no access rights to the folder... No idea why.

Do I risk to overwrite all my existing notes if I install Evernote 6.7.5. from a new download ?

Thanks for your answers

Schroeder

• Level 5*
On 17/11/2017 at 3:03 PM, Schroeder said:

Do I risk to overwrite all my existing notes if I install Evernote 6.7.5. from a new download ?

I've had a couple of updates where the download didn't quite take,  so I manually downloaded the latest version and started over.  As long as you log in with the same user details you should see the same notes.  If you're in any doubt,  make sure you backup your database before reinstalling.

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, NA-JR said:

I cannot get into Evernote on my Windoze 7 machine, as it keeps trying to find a file to do an update.  Any idea why it can't find a file (it looks like an msi one).

Hi.  Sounds like your Evernote is temporarily unable to auto-update.  Try direct downloading and installing again,  as above...  as long as you log in with the same details you'll see your existing notes once the app is open.

Archived