(Archived) I can talk to Evernote 3's notebooks

I’ve configured a contact in JOTT (http://www.jott.com) with the first name “EverNote” (last name left blank) and set the contact's email to my “secret” Evernote 3.0 email address. Now, when I want to add something directly to my Evernote 3.0 from my cell phone using my voice, I dial Jott and say “Evernote” when Jott asks me, “Who do you want to Jott?”.

Jott’s excellent transcription service (and the link in the note to the voice file when the transcription isn’t so hot) makes sure I get the information I am trying to capture.

Within Evernote 3, a saved search that searches for “Jott” makes sure I don’t miss a message. I wish there was a way to mark them as "To-Do" items as well, but haven't investigated that yet.

Pretty cool.

I’ve configured a contact in JOTT (http://www.jott.com) with the first name “EverNote” (last name left blank) and set the contact's email to my “secret” Evernote 3.0 email address. Now, when I want to add something directly to my Evernote 3.0 from my cell phone using my voice, I dial Jott and say “Evernote” when Jott asks me, “Who do you want to Jott?”.

Jott’s excellent transcription service (and the link in the note to the voice file when the transcription isn’t so hot) makes sure I get the information I am trying to capture.

Within Evernote 3, a saved search that searches for “Jott” makes sure I don’t miss a message. I wish there was a way to mark them as "To-Do" items as well, but haven't investigated that yet.

Pretty cool.

Drew,

I was going to ask why this was a superior technique to just making an EN3b voice note, and then the word "transcription" penetrated my thick blond skull. Great idea. 8) Thanks for sharing the tip.

:D

This is very cool. I've had a Jott account for a while, but have never really used it. I added evernote as a contact and did a test - worked really well. I think this will be very productive.. (and the transcription? I know it's not always like this, but in this particular test - 77 words, 489 characters - 100% accuracy)

Thanks for the idea!

This is very cool. I've had a Jott account for a while, but have never really used it.

Really? I use Jott ALL the time... I do a fair amount of driving and one never knows when a brainstorm will hit. I've got filters set up in my Outlook for when I Jott notes myself. When those Jotts arrive in my Outlook inbox, my filters mark them as important, convert them to tasks, and show me a pop-up message (I want to make sure I see these brainstorms!).

I added evernote as a contact and did a test - worked really well. I think this will be very productive.. (and the transcription? I know it's not always like this, but in this particular test - 77 words, 489 characters - 100% accuracy)

That's awesome! Marc_Clarke has some good tips on achieving 100% accuracy somewhere on this forum...

Vogelap,

Great idea. I have used Jott for quite a while, too. Great service. I also use it in conjunction with Sandy (http://iwantsandy.com) which I really like, too. I actually posted a "wish" that we could call into EN and have it transcribe the note. I guess this was a case of not seeing the forest for the trees!

Thanks for the tip! Now, if we could just print directly to a PDF in EN! ;-)

This is brilliant! We've been getting requests to integrate with Jott and now we can announce the completion of our major integration effort.

Shouldn't I be on the payroll if I'm "completing major integration efforts"? ;-)

JUST KIDDING!

I'm loving this idea Drew. It also works with EN2.2 as long as you have an auto-import email address set up. Maybe Phil will be willing to reimburse you in services. You know, maybe push through some of those enhancements the power users are looking for? Hint hint wink wink. For my part, if EN3 continues the way it's going I'll never have the opportunity to grow up to be a power user. :?

Dave

I'm loving this idea Drew. It also works with EN2.2 as long as you have an auto-import email address set up. Maybe Phil will be willing to reimburse you in services. You know, maybe push through some of those enhancements the power users are looking for? Hint hint wink wink. For my part, if EN3 continues the way it's going I'll never have the opportunity to grow up to be a power user. :?

Dave

Dave,

How do you set up Auto-Import Mail in EN 2.2? If I set up to import one of my regular email addresses, way too much email will be imported! Plus, it is then auto-deleted from the mail server, which means that the email messages could no longer be received by my email client.

Is there a specific way that you set this up just for your Jott email?

Thanks!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I just use two "extra" POP email accounts. One is dedicated to EN2.2, the other to EN3 Beta. EN2.2 auto-import mail accounts need to be "real" POP3 accounts though; for some reason gmail doesn't work.

I've been trying to get some auto-tagging going on but it's a little funky since I have to speak the keywords. Saying "at project pound 724" (@Project #724) doesn't cut it. I may have to create my own lexicon of nonsense words. :)

Dave

Jim: I also use a separate email account for POP auto-importing in EN 2.0, but I direct mail to beta 3.0's address. As an aside, most commercial (ISP) email accounts allow you to keep mail on the server after its been downloaded by POP, though a setting. Change your account's mail settings through your ISP's web interface.

If you want to get fancy you can set up a forwarding rule from your main email address to the second (Evernote POP dedicated) address, for all texts from your cell phone. That way you only have to email yourself at your main address.

Here's where Drew first made the brilliant leap to Jott (hey, I gotta nudge myself toward the power user realm, or I'll' never get there either.. :wink: ).

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5312&p=19030

Drew - Very nice idea for Beta 3.0, and a great use of Jott!

Thank you. I'll have to think this through. I already use Jott pretty extensively, but most all my email addresses are IMAP except for my main ISP address, which receives way too much to have download into EN! I might have to set up one of my secondary ISP email addresses specifically for EN.

Jim

That is exactly what I would do. Set up one of your secondary ISP addresses. Configure it as POP, and only Jott to it for Evernote (2.2) auto-import - and of course do not use it for anything else ike buying stuff (or else your Evernote will be getting spammed!).

Let us know how it goes for you.

Archived