V6.7.5.5825 Formatting lost

When I got the notification about a new version, I closed out my notes and updated it.  When I went back into the notes I was working on, I immediately noticed two things.

• All of the text with Strikethrough is now normal.  This just made the note useless.
  • For font sizes smaller than 10, while the text size changed to something smaller, the line spacing stays at size 10, increasing the white space and length of my note significantly.

Is there an easy fix for this?  Can I downgrade the version and get my formatting back?

• Level 5

I've seen a number of requests to be able to downgrade, and I just suddenly realized that there may be an easy way to do this. On my Windows 7 system the update files are stored in C:\Users\{MyUserName}\Evernote\AutoUpdate. All the older version update files are there. You might check to see if that's an option for you to downgrade. But before downgrading I'd be real sure I had a complete backup of my notes (or was prepared to delete the database and let it sync with the servers if something went wrong). I also wouldn't downgrade too far, lest the older version of the program prove incompatible with the current format of the notes.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Rickgaz said:

When I got the notification about a new version, I closed out my notes and updated it.  When I went back into the notes I was working on, I immediately noticed two things.

• All of the text with Strikethrough is now normal.  This just made the note useless.
  • For font sizes smaller than 10, while the text size changed to something smaller, the line spacing stays at size 10, increasing the white space and length of my note significantly.

Is there an easy fix for this?  Can I downgrade the version and get my formatting back?

You can go to filehippo.com to get a previous version of EN. 

No guarantees, but any notes that you did not view may have not been adjusted by the new release.  Those that you did view may have been permanently altered.

I want to thank you both.  I did back up my files before doing anything else, and I looked in the Updates folder for a previous version.  The only one there was v 4.1 from 2010.  Can't believe I've been using and relying on Evernote for so long!  So, I did uninstall v6.7.5, and reinstall v6.7.4 from FileHippo.  Same issue, sortuv.

I also tried looking at documents via the web interface.  Interestingly, a number of older documents still have the Strikethrough formatting on the web, but it's not being displayed correctly in the Windows clients.  So, not touching those and have it get destroyed like the notes I was working on the last couple of days.

I'm at a crossroads now.  At least two versions of Windows clients is not displaying the same formatting as the web.  I have a couple of documents that are screwed up and have to spend some time fixing, or archiving them and starting fresh.  Frankly, I'm not sure if I can trust Evernote any more.  I've dealt with bugs and glitches and my own mistakes over the years, but have never applied an update and had existing notes get turned into mush.  This is unacceptable.

I see a few options.  Keep trying older and older revisions until it works, use the web client until Windows client can be trusted, or migrate to another solution.

Any other ideas?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Rickgaz said:

Interestingly, a number of older documents still have the Strikethrough formatting on the web, but it's not being displayed correctly in the Windows clients.  So, not touching those and have it get destroyed like the notes I was working on the last couple of days.

You are welcome.  You could try copying one of the "good" notes on the web, sync to your desktop, and then see how the copy looks on the current desktop client.  It it is hosed, you may have to drop back another release to try and preserve the formatting.  I think this and other issues have been caused by the new editor not playing nice with the format of older notes.  Why that is another question.

So got to get to a release before the editor.  An opinion in any case.

Archived