Thoughts and tips on the Fujitsu iX500 ScanSnap Scanner?

arose10

I'm considering purchasing the Fujitsu iX500 ScanSnap Scanner for the main purpose of integrating it into my Evernote workflow.  I'm sure there are many others out there with this setup.  I'd be curious to hear about their experience, both the positives and the negatives, as well as any tips they have on which model to purchase, the optimal settings to select, etc..  (Speaking of, does anyone know the difference between the two models currently available on Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Document-Scanner-PA03656-B305/dp/B01G3JYVYM?)  Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I have an S1500 - the old version of the IX500 - still running well after several years of serious scanning.  (I used to have a substantial paper library.  I now have a digital one).

Beyond a need to keep the glass clean (true for all scanners) I can't think of a downside.  The only difference I can see between the two main items on your link seems to be a 3-year warranty.

There have been several discussions of scanning methods in the forums here which you could (couldn't resist) scan through if you wish.  How you use it though depends on your particular workflow.  Mine is to 'batch' scan once(ish) per day -- I'll collect documents until I have enough to process,  run them through the machine to produce searchable PDF files*,  and output those files to a folder on my hard drive.  I mainly use a 'smart' title for my notes instead of tags and multiple notebooks,  so the folder gives me a chance to edit and retitle scanned documents before moving them to an Import Folder (Windows).  They're then sucked into Evernote and available for searching.

The ScanSnap software - "ScanSnap Manager" - gives you a number of pre-set options for scanning to printer / email / PDF / computer folder which you can customize to your needs.

* That's a change of process for me - I used to leave OCR until I edited files so scanning was as quick as possible,  but updates to ScanSnap Manager seem to have sped up the 'on the fly' process so it's academic.

• Level 5*

Similar to @gazumped.  I have been using the ScanSnap S1300i for years.  Small footprint on the desktop and can handle 10 pages duplex without issue.  I created custom scan profiles which puts the scans in my Import Folder from which they are automatically moved to my local Scans notebook.  Scans is like Inbox, it is a transition notebook, typically empty, but when there is something in it there is work to do.  I let ScanSnap do the OCRing.  From there I re-title if need be (not always), add tags, and move to the notebook of choice.

Archived