Evernote for Windows 6.8 Beta 1 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.8 Beta 1 - you cadownload it here. This release includes a number of fixes to the note experience.  

Please try these out for yourselves and let us know what you think. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor teams! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.8: 

Evernote for Windows 6.8 Release Notes

Improved

More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

• A fix where tables clipped from Microsoft Word or Outlook did not appear correctly in Evernote
  • A fix where additional lines are pasted when pasting a line of text from Evernote to other applications
  • A fix for no longer dropping the check box and end line on copy/paste of a to-do item
  • A fix where some reminders are not synced after clicking the sync button
  • A fix to ensure the app if downloaded from the Windows Store respects the Options>Start on Windows Logon option
  • A fix so that selecting the 'New Note' button when in the Business tab with no notebook selected, no longer creates a note in Personal

90 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

This is probably a dumb comment,  but here goes:  why not paste text without formatting if you don't want ANY formatting,  or paste formatted text if you want the URLs and just use 'simplify' to strip out the non-link-related code?  On occasion I've tried out two or three pastes with different options before I get the result I need.

Well, sometimes clipper doesn't grab what I want or grabs too much so I Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C or drag/copy.  Then I may want to paste it all or just the text with the links for future reference or just the text.  And I'd just as soon do the copy and a single paste action.  My use case anyway.

Simplified article is in the neighborhood for text with links, except you always get the "whole" article, some of the images, and some of the formatting.  So more editing than I care to do.  :( 

Can work with 2 out of 3, but all three would be special.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

This is probably a dumb comment,  but here goes:  why not paste text without formatting if you don't want ANY formatting,  or paste formatted text if you want the URLs and just use 'simplify' to strip out the non-link-related code?  On occasion I've tried out two or three pastes with different options before I get the result I need.

Not at all a dumb comment, but honestly I have no clue what simplify formatting does. 9/10 times when I use it, it doesn't simplify enough, so I cut the text to the clipboard and roundtrip it through Notepad.

I rarely use Remove Formatting because that converts the entire note, not just your selection, to plain text. Great for a new clipping, but not much else.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*

You will never be able to satisfy all of the people all of the time, so this will always be a circular argument until EN changes. There are times when I want to delete the hyperlinks within the text - when they are just keywords that have been linked to some site in which I have zero interest. Sometimes the links are useful information, so I don't want them all deleted. Select the blocks of text and remove hyperlinks might work. Or give me the option to remove or not remove. Kind of like the ability to show all pdfs as the full image or not. Automatic removal of links would be disastrous for me... Just saying.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, lisec said:

and if you don't want the link, right-click and select "remove hyperllink".

Or, I could paste as plain text in one step. 

Have a nice day.

1 minute ago, EdH said:

My example was fake, but broke nothing more than yours did. And I don't want the URLs as text either, because then I need to delete them all out. That is even worse. If you want the info, copy from the web source page.

and if you don't want the link, right-click and select "remove hyperllink".

• Level 5*
Just now, lisec said:

I understand what you are saying, but even you have to acknowledge that your example isn't great. Bold is a formatting issue. Links are information. .A fair compromise would be to insert urls (and to extract them from a href) as text.  So if I get:  " see here (http://www.herereferstothissite.com) for more info" rather than just "see here for more info" then I'm happy. It is the information I want, not the link per se.

My example was fake, but broke nothing more than yours did. And I don't want the URLs as text either, because then I need to delete them all out. That is even worse. If you want the info, copy from the web source page.

2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Third option makes sense to me for the reasons given.  Paste, Paste as plain text (PERIOD), and paste as plain text keep the links behind the text (adios everything else),  Call it the wikipedia paste (just kidding).

haha!  I'll go for that.

I understand what you are saying, but even you have to acknowledge that your example isn't great. Bold is a formatting issue. Links are information. .A fair compromise would be to insert urls (and to extract them from a href) as text.  So if I get:  " see here (http://www.herereferstothissite.com) for more info" rather than just "see here for more info" then I'm happy. It is the information I want, not the link per se.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lisec said:

I would definitely like a 3rd option for "paste as text with links", but  Evernote seems more in the business of fewer options, not more.

Third option makes sense to me for the reasons given.  Paste, Paste as plain text (PERIOD), and paste as plain text keep the links behind the text (adios everything else),  Call it the wikipedia paste (just kidding).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lisec said:

But why? Plain text was plain text before the internet!  So why not just have plain text that includes links as the post internet version? I mean what's it hurt? As far as I can tell plain text doesn't send any program in a tizzy if it includes a link, and it certainly doesn't do anything to Evernote (which is not a "plain text program").  Let's assume links are included.  How many of us would first paste into Notepad to remove the link? I would guess very few, especially considering Evernote already includes a "remove link" option in the right-click menu (granted it doesn't work when you select a bunch of text and it should).

I can see wanting to clean up a long list of links, but I would much rather do the ol' Notepad dance with that, for the amount of time it happens.  Losing links, though, well there really isn't anything you can do about that.  

I would definitely like a 3rd option for "paste as text with links", but  Evernote seems more in the business of fewer options, not more.

Then I want Plan Text with Links and Bold. I mean, what's the hurt? Plain text doesn't send any program into a tizzy if it has bold, and it certainly doesn't do anything to Evernote. 

But the truth is:

• I don't want anything but plain text.
  • I don't want artifical underlined text in my notes.
  • I don't want blue text in my notes.
  • I don't want purple text in my notes.
  • I don't want web pages launching if I click on linked text to change the text. I just want to edit the text, not have to put my cursor before/after the text, then move it with the arrow keys to prevent triggering the link.
  • I don't want my cursor changing from a line to a hand when I mouse over.
  • I don't want the status bar changing to a URL vs doc stats when I mouse over.

I want plain text when I paste as text. it is that simple. Plain. Text.

2 minutes ago, EdH said:

But plain text is plain text and that is what we want. Without Notepad round-tripping.

But why? Plain text was plain text before the internet!  So why not just have plain text that includes links as the post internet version? I mean what's it hurt? As far as I can tell plain text doesn't send any program in a tizzy if it includes a link, and it certainly doesn't do anything to Evernote (which is not a "plain text program").  Let's assume links are included.  How many of us would first paste into Notepad to remove the link? I would guess very few, especially considering Evernote already includes a "remove link" option in the right-click menu (granted it doesn't work when you select a bunch of text and it should).

I can see wanting to clean up a long list of links, but I would much rather do the ol' Notepad dance with that, for the amount of time it happens.  Losing links, though, well there really isn't anything you can do about that.  

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, lisec said:

However, please consider keeping links.

Please no. 

The true fix for this scenario is to paste normally, then use a format paintbrush to apply desired settings. There just isn't a format paintbrush in Evernote like there is in many other apps that support formats. Or a 3rd "paste with links" option.

But plain text is plain text and that is what we want. Without Notepad round-tripping.

2 hours ago, EvernoteAlex said:

For EN Win v6.8, we will be reverting Ctrl-Shift-V (Paste & Match Style) to the way it was in prior to the EN Win v6.6 release. I.e., only the text will be pasted in - links, images, attachments, etc., will be stripped out.

That is the behavior that users have come to expect, based on their experience with Evernote over the years, as well as with many other apps and web browsers.
Based on user feedback, we will consider other improvements to paste in future releases.

Excellent.  However, please consider keeping links.  People hardly ever include full urls anymore; they tend to use a href with a title, and once the link is stripped we have no clue what the title refers to.  I find myself always having to go back and copy/paste the links. Is there really any reason to ever strip them? 

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, EvernoteAlex said:

For EN Win v6.8, we will be reverting Ctrl-Shift-V (Paste & Match Style) to the way it was in prior to the EN Win v6.6 release. I.e., only the text will be pasted in - links, images, attachments, etc., will be stripped out.

cheering_minions.gif.c82d31f92de002f434e593342fd5b4d5.gif

That is the behavior that users have come to expect, based on their experience with Evernote over the years, as well as with many other apps and web browsers.
Based on user feedback, we will consider other improvements to paste in future releases.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

As a workaround, wordpad seems to work as you would expect, as reported in other threads.

Yeah, Evernote is likely picking up on the rich text that Wordpad puts up on the clipboard...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, cacotigon said:

These would all be useful but requesting that these be keyboard shortcut customizable from the user perspective. Most people I think have gotten use to Ctrl Shift V being "Paste as Plain Text" since that is what Firefox and Google Chrome seem to do.

Yeah, hence the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-V or whatever suggestion for the not paste, not paste plain text option.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Happens with just notepad too.  There is a similar issue being tracked for Mac - but I filed a new bug for this to make sure no one forgets it 

As a workaround, wordpad seems to work as you would expect, as reported in other threads.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

An issue with code blocks:

So I open up a new line, and make it a code block, using Ctrl+Shift+L. Inside the code block, the typeface shows as Monaco (strange choice for WIndows, but it's monospaced, so whatever). 

Go to NotePad++ and copy some text (ClipSpy shows just plain text in several varieties, with no formatting), and paste it into the code block.

The code block continues to show Monaco, but the pasted text is no longer monospaced.

Same thing occurs if I paste from good old Notepad.

Curiously, in this case, empty lines are preserved. Also curiously, if I type in the bottom of the code block, below the pasted text, the typed text is monospaced.

Screen cap:

image.png.92243a6ddf52c21ba2c77a6ef1a56184.png 

Edit: I did not write the above code, just in case you're wondering. :) 

We have 2 issues tracking similar problem with Code Block and fonts not behaving - not sure of the time frame for the fix at the moment 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

Just FYI, this worked for me in Windows client for a long time.  My main use case was to create a table of contents note, open that note on its own, then click links, carry out some work, then use back to get back to my list.  Not sure if there is anything special about that workflow.

What's special is if you create a search, or use a saved search, or a shortcut, or select a notebook, etc., that appears to be saved as context, along with the last note; if you go back, not only will you be returned to the note, you should also get back the context you found the note in.

This auto linkifying of recognized URLs when I'm just trying to paste plain text is killing me.

Can someone please tell me the last EN version before this "option" began?  This needs to go away.
(And is it possible to access a previous version repository?  I'm leery of installing previous versions of Evernote found on the web)

• +1 on Paste and Match Style.  I don't know what this does.
  • If I copy and paste from Notepad, I get my text linkified.
  • If I copy and Paste and Match Style from notepad, it still linkifies my text.
  • If I paste into a new Note and try to Simplify Formatting, it does nothing.

This is impractical.  I'm not going to go through every line of this document to remove the auto-created URL.
Agreed, this needs to be a Paste option for those who want it, but we need a true Paste in Plain Text option, or a way to tell Evernote to stop linkifying recognized URLs.

5a22bd09b2eab_evernotelinking.thumb.png.ab25511e10220fbf2bd2b45c2a0ab0f6.png

19 hours ago, eafpres said:

Windows 6.8.1.5832

As noted in my earlier post, I see significant performance issues with this release.  Since installing, I noticed very sluggish performance from my PC although the resources weren't being maxed out (e.g. the "Not Responding" when Disk is at 100%).  I tried shutting down various apps and memory was only around 60%.  Then I realized that EN was running in the background (I think that has to do with the sync settings).  I killed it in Task Manager and bingo, my PC is fast again.  So this is a significant problem for me.

Have you had a chance to check Beta 2 yet? 

Windows 6.8.1.5832

As noted in my earlier post, I see significant performance issues with this release.  Since installing, I noticed very sluggish performance from my PC although the resources weren't being maxed out (e.g. the "Not Responding" when Disk is at 100%).  I tried shutting down various apps and memory was only around 60%.  Then I realized that EN was running in the background (I think that has to do with the sync settings).  I killed it in Task Manager and bingo, my PC is fast again.  So this is a significant problem for me.

On 10/13/2017 at 3:32 PM, steveo33 said:

image.png.e5bc8e1a98e73da5afcebfd05313754e.pngCapture1.PNG.3d05e3a03c31ebbadc0c7326a92e44ac.PNG  

There's the before & after. That has happened to me, I don't know, 25 times, in the past week or two. Here it is copy-pasted into another note: http://www.evernote.com/l/AKiJ6qcdOvZJsIMrHe585CM5qb6Wp9-IbQc/.

I am typically hitting the shortcut keys to make a formatted list (ctrl + shift + O/B), then tabbing to get to the level I want.

Interesting, so far just typing (I didn't copy and paste anything into the note) and using only hotkeys, I haven't had the list misbehave yet - currently I am using Beta 2

50 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

For the lost formatting issue, do you have a sample note dev can take a look at (along with a screen capture of what it looked like before it broke?) 

Are the TODOS indented with the space bar, or tab or the indent buttons (or hot keys) and are you also using the check boxes or just having an itemized list? 

image.png.e5bc8e1a98e73da5afcebfd05313754e.pngCapture1.PNG.3d05e3a03c31ebbadc0c7326a92e44ac.PNG  

There's the before & after. That has happened to me, I don't know, 25 times, in the past week or two. Here it is copy-pasted into another note: http://www.evernote.com/l/AKiJ6qcdOvZJsIMrHe585CM5qb6Wp9-IbQc/.

I am typically hitting the shortcut keys to make a formatted list (ctrl + shift + O/B), then tabbing to get to the level I want.

5 minutes ago, steveo33 said:

This release has made Evernote unusable. First, the bug that changes font size all the time, then the extra whitespace on every note, and now my formatting is disappearing daily. I have lists with ~50 items, with various levels of nesting underneath, and they keep getting collapsed to one level. I can't read my to-do list anymore, and I have to use another app. I have spent way too much time reformatting notes, only to have have their format disappear every few hours. Let me know if those issues get fixed. Until then, I'm switching apps, after happily using Evernote for five years.

For the lost formatting issue, do you have a sample note dev can take a look at (along with a screen capture of what it looked like before it broke?) 

Are the TODOS indented with the space bar, or tab or the indent buttons (or hot keys) and are you also using the check boxes or just having an itemized list? 

This release has made Evernote unusable. First, the bug that changes font size all the time, then the extra whitespace on every note, and now my formatting is disappearing daily. I have lists with ~50 items, with various levels of nesting underneath, and they keep getting collapsed to one level. I can't read my to-do list anymore, and I have to use another app. I have spent way too much time reformatting notes, only to have have their format disappear every few hours. Let me know if those issues get fixed. Until then, I'm switching apps, after happily using Evernote for five years.

• Level 5*

An issue with code blocks:

So I open up a new line, and make it a code block, using Ctrl+Shift+L. Inside the code block, the typeface shows as Monaco (strange choice for WIndows, but it's monospaced, so whatever). 

Go to NotePad++ and copy some text (ClipSpy shows just plain text in several varieties, with no formatting), and paste it into the code block.

The code block continues to show Monaco, but the pasted text is no longer monospaced.

Same thing occurs if I paste from good old Notepad.

Curiously, in this case, empty lines are preserved. Also curiously, if I type in the bottom of the code block, below the pasted text, the typed text is monospaced.

Screen cap:

image.png.92243a6ddf52c21ba2c77a6ef1a56184.png 

Edit: I did not write the above code, just in case you're wondering. :) 

27 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Sounds like a reasonable workflow.  My expectations of the back/forward arrows were for them to perform just like a browser, it just never worked that way for me.  I would always get the list as if I had held the press on the arrow.  It works now, so all is good.  But I had years where it didn't.  So, I 'm guessing less to do with this Beta, more to do with something else on my machine.  I did update to the Creator version of Windows, maybe that flicked a switch deep in the bowels of the OS....  :wacko:

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't disappear without warning.  If it's a Windows thing, who knows.  The clock in the lower right of my taskbar is still unreadable from several updates ago, the scroll inactive window hasn't worked since the anniversary update, etc.....

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Just FYI, this worked for me in Windows client for a long time.  My main use case was to create a table of contents note, open that note on its own, then click links, carry out some work, then use back to get back to my list.  Not sure if there is anything special about that workflow.

Sounds like a reasonable workflow.  My expectations of the back/forward arrows were for them to perform just like a browser, it just never worked that way for me.  I would always get the list as if I had held the press on the arrow.  It works now, so all is good.  But I had years where it didn't.  So, I 'm guessing less to do with this Beta, more to do with something else on my machine.  I did update to the Creator version of Windows, maybe that flicked a switch deep in the bowels of he OS....  :wacko:

18 hours ago, csihilling said:

I was looking for the functionality but it never worked for me until this beta.  Again, weird.

Installed 6.8.1.5832 Prerelease yesterday; today the "Not Responding" with Disk at 100% (in Task Manager) seems back with a vengeance.  Could be subjective on my part, but it seems like performance has regressed.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, jefito said:

Hmmm. I don't use the history functionality that often, but I certainly noticed this some time ago, well before this beta. I was pleasantly surprised when I caught onto what it was doing. 

I was looking for the functionality but it never worked for me until this beta.  Again, weird.

• Level 5*

Yeah, got that.  It just never worked that way for me until this beta.  One of those sweet mysteries of life things I suppose.

Hmmm. I don't use the history functionality that often, but I certainly noticed this some time ago, well before this beta. I was pleasantly surprised when I caught onto what it was doing. 

• Level 5*

Yeah, got that.  It just never worked that way for me until this beta.  One of those sweet mysteries of life things I suppose.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, jefito said:

The back arrow should take you back through your history, and that should include shortcut, saved search, and notebook contexts as well, as near as I can figure, and possibly more.

• Level 5*

Hmmm.  Prior to this beta whenever I clicked the back arrow I was presented with the list of notes.  Not the expected response, but I never reported it. 

Now when I click the back arrow I go back one note, as expected.  When I click and hold I get the list of notes, as expected.  So not sure what happened, but thanks.  :)

The back arrow should take you back through your history, and that should include shortcut, saved search, and notebook contexts as well, as near as I can figure, and possibly more.

• Level 5*

Hmmm.  Prior to this beta whenever I clicked the back arrow I was presented with the list of notes.  Not the expected response, but I never reported it. 

Now when I click the back arrow I go back one note, as expected.  When I click and hold I get the list of notes, as expected.  So not sure what happened, but thanks.  :)

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Why? “the pasted text should not include the hyperlink”

Folks seem to want

1. Paste
  2. Paste and Match Style (keep hyperlinks)
  3. Paste plain text

'Twould seem many think Paste and Match Style should be plain text.  As it once was, I think?  I'm all for adding Ctrl-Shift-Alt-V or whatever to get plain text.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, bioadam said:

If I use ctrl+shif+v to past text with a hyperlink, the pasted text should not include the hyperlink.

Why? “the pasted text should not include the hyperlink”

edited: withdrawn - I was experiencing a Paste and Match Style flashback

On 9/27/2017 at 9:25 AM, Karczag said:

Sorry to be harsh but Evernote Jesus Christ can you please fix copy-paste once and for all?  It's incredibly buggy and inconsistent.  Simple: Paste (control-V) should paste the formatted content of the clipboard, including font type, size, color, attributes (underline/bold/italics) and links;  Paste-text-only (control-shift-V) should paste text only and adopt the "local" formatting at the point of paste (including font type, size, color etc.).  Really, not complicated.  It's ridiculous that you can't get that right.  Every single user of Evernote I speak with agrees.  It it weren't so frustrating it'd be funny.  Version 6.7 actually made it WORSE.  Can this be finally fixed in 6.8?  PLEASE?  Can't be that hard.  Really.  

If I use ctrl+shif+v to past text with a hyperlink, the pasted text should not include the hyperlink. Please fix. 

Why is there suddenly an extra .25" of whitespace between the note editor window and the note list window, to the right of the dividing line? This wasn't there in 6.5.4.4720 (304720), which I still have installed on another computer. Seems unnecessary.

• Level 5*

Found a somewhat annoying issue with note search (Ctrl+F); not sure that it's been reported:

So you hit Ctrl+F, and type some text, and find a string in your note.  "Great, here I am! Now to get busy." So, OK, hit Escape, and prepare to read or edit or whatever in that location. But Escape sends you back to the top of your note (not even where you were when you initiated Find), and you lose your place. My expectation is that you'd just stay where Find brought you. You need to reach for the mouse and click in the document to stop Find and continue editing.

I'd cite as precedents Visual Studio and Notepad++. Curiously MS Word's Find will put you back where you started Find if you hit Escape, but not at the top of the document.

Bonus points if the text highlighting were discarded in favor of an actual selection, so that Escape would let you start typing immediately and replace what you found, or make a selection, or paste, etc. That seems like pretty common behavior as well. 

In any case, kudos for making Find be incremental, something I miss greatly when it's not available....

20 hours ago, Sam Jensen said:

Code blocks are disappearing in this release.  I create a new note and add a code block and everything looks OK.  Open another note and when I come back to the original the code block is gone.  Seems to only change/break notes that I open.  Reverted back to 6.7 and the issue is not present.  Untouched/viewed notes seem to be fine.

Before.png

After.png

This issue has been fixed and will be in the next beta 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TYVM_23 said:

WIN + SHIFT + F doesn't take me to the search bar.

• If I'm already viewing All Notes, then it takes me directly to the search field. If I'm having another search open, I have to do the command twice, as the first time, it only takes me to All Notes without the cursor being in the search bar. 
  • I believe that this feature has been available before as it's just now that I'm getting the frustration.. 
  • Running 6.8.1 on Windows. 

Strange, this seems to work for me on 6.8.1. on Win 10.

I was going to suggest that you check that this shortcut key is enabled by checking Tools / Options / Shortcut Keys, but your scenario seems to suggest that this is working only in certain situations. I can't seem to make it fail whether I have a current search or not.

Weird.

WIN + SHIFT + F doesn't take me to the search bar.

• If I'm already viewing All Notes, then it takes me directly to the search field. If I'm having another search open, I have to do the command twice, as the first time, it only takes me to All Notes without the cursor being in the search bar. 
  • I believe that this feature has been available before as it's just now that I'm getting the frustration.. 
  • Running 6.8.1 on Windows. 
  • Ex Employees
3 hours ago, Sam Jensen said:

Code blocks are disappearing in this release.  I create a new note and add a code block and everything looks OK.  Open another note and when I come back to the original the code block is gone.  Seems to only change/break notes that I open.  Reverted back to 6.7 and the issue is not present.  Untouched/viewed notes seem to be fine.

Before.png

After.png

Thanks for mentioning that, I see exactly what you're showing. I've reported this unexpected behavior to the development team.

• Level 5*

OK, just wanted to link to someone else's issue that's a problem in 6.8 Beta 1: plain text on the clipboard (from say, some source code, and delimited, in my case, with CR/LF pairs) loses any blank lines when pasted into an Evernote note. This occurs also if you paste into a code block. The original topic is here: 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

That URL works fine to bounce me through to the web version of the note,  but won't go to the Evernote Desktop version

There is a process to set standard behavior, Google below, don't know if there is an equivalent for FF.

Relative to the stack of open windows, try unchecking Open note links from other... in Options - Navigation.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, csihilling said:

So I think it is working for me, eM Client and Wunderlist anyway.. 

Now I know how all those folks feel where I've said "It's working on my system" when it's NOT working for them.  ;)

Duly motivated,  I went on to experiment further (as they say).  It seems to be down to how the software you're pasting into deals with links.  Turns out Workflowy (that I was using there) receives the note title in a straight paste,  but doesn't accept a usable link.  If I paste the URL from the same link,  Workflowy can't process it - though it works quite happily with standard links. 

TickTick,  which is my normal To Do app,  accepts the link URL,  but does not display the note title.  That URL works fine to bounce me through to the web version of the note,  but won't go to the Evernote Desktop version - though Evernote 'jumps' as though goosed when the web page pops up.

Some days I hate my life...  :(

EDIT: - OK it can get worse.  Just cleared the decks to actually get some work done,  and the notes that I "couldn't get to" via the links are all stacked up behind the Evernote main window.  So Copy Internal Link does work for some software,  just not for others.  I'll winge at Workflowy later...  ^_^

Before.png

After.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Karczag said:

Sorry to be harsh but Evernote Jesus Christ can you please fix copy-paste once and for all?  It's incredibly buggy and inconsistent.  Simple: Paste (control-V) should paste the formatted content of the clipboard, including font type, size, color, attributes (underline/bold/italics) and links;  Paste-text-only (control-shift-V) should paste text only and adopt the "local" formatting at the point of paste (including font type, size, color etc.).  Really, not complicated.  It's ridiculous that you can't get that right.  Every single user of Evernote I speak with agrees.  It it weren't so frustrating it'd be funny.  Version 6.7 actually made it WORSE.  Can this be finally fixed in 6.8?  PLEASE?  Can't be that hard.  Really.  

The problem is "Paste as Text" isn't on the menu. It is "Paste and Match Style" and that can mean whatever you want it to mean.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Karczag said:

Sorry to be harsh but Evernote Jesus Christ can you please fix copy-paste once and for all?

Buddha says "Meditate first, then post." Really.

Simple: Paste (control-V) should paste the formatted content of the clipboard, including font type, size, color, attributes (underline/bold/italics) and links

I'm seeing this working, in simple cases at least. There may be edge cases where it fails. That's where we can help them pin things down, by specifying scenarios where it fails. I'm testing in the 6.8.1 beta, btw.

Paste-text-only (control-shift-V) should paste text only and adopt the "local" formatting at the point of paste (including font type, size, color etc.).

Ditto for this, except that links are maintained. Remember, they don't call it Paste-text-only; they call it "Paste and Match Style". Both have their uses, in my world, and having ways to do both would be nice. I think there's also a use case for Paste-in-Default-Format. I'd use it, anyways.

This is probably related to the Clear Formatting operation (which maintains links currently), and Remove Formatting (which seems to not be working at all, so maybe a regression there; I'll need to pull this out and report it separately), but should probably remove links as well. I would use both of these operations.

Really, not complicated.   It's ridiculous that you can't get that right.  Every single user of Evernote I speak with agrees.

Except that HTML formatting is complicated. I'm guessing that that's one of the major difficulties.. I'm also wondering about the keep/remove link  issue.  Also I'd say that there might be some disagreement as to what the fundamental operations should do. Anyways, to summarize the set of operations that I'd like to see:

Possible paste operations:

• Simple: paste and retain any current formatting of the pasted text. Keep links as links.
  • Paste-and-Match-Style: pasted text takes on the formatting that's active at the point of insertion. Keep links as links.
  • Paste-and-Match-Style-No-Links (I'd guess that this is equivalent to what people call Paste-Text-Only): pasted text takes on the formatting that's active at the point of insertion. Remove links.
  • Paste-In-Default-Style: pasted text takes on the current default style as  defined in Tools / Options / Note / Note font and size. Keep links.

Possible formatting operations:

These operate on selected text in a note, or the whole note if there's no selection:

• Clear-formatting : convert formatting to default style, but maintain links as links
  • Remove-Formatting : clear formatting to default style, but remove links
  • Remove-Links : maintain current formatting, but remove links

I haven't gotten into the shortcut key issue (without using Alt-, and think that they avoid that, you'd need more than Ctrl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V), but all of these options ought to be at least available on the right-click context menu.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not sure when this started,  might have been with this release;  but I was just trying to get a 'classic note link' to refer back to Evernote from my ToDo app,  and I can't now seem to do it.

Ctrl + Copy Internal Link or Share > Ctrl + Copy Shareable Link give the same result as clicking those options without pressing Ctrl.

Copy Internal Link gets me a link showing the note title which will not work in Firefox or my ToDo app.  If I copy the location I see "evernote:///view/120.... etc" but that won't work at all.

Copy Shareable Link takes me to the Web version of my note only - not terrible,  but not what I want.

Did I miss something obvious???

I just did a test with an email and a todo in Wunderlist.  In both cases I used Copy internal link/paste and in both cases focus was transferred to the note in EN.  Still opens a tab in Chrome first, but end up in EN.  So I think it is working for me, eM Client and Wunderlist anyway.. 

Link is of the form https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/nl/.....

• Level 5*

Not sure when this started,  might have been with this release;  but I was just trying to get a 'classic note link' to refer back to Evernote from my ToDo app,  and I can't now seem to do it.

Ctrl + Copy Internal Link or Share > Ctrl + Copy Shareable Link give the same result as clicking those options without pressing Ctrl.

Copy Internal Link gets me a link showing the note title which will not work in Firefox or my ToDo app.  If I copy the location I see "evernote:///view/120.... etc" but that won't work at all.

Copy Shareable Link takes me to the Web version of my note only - not terrible,  but not what I want.

Did I miss something obvious???

Sorry, I cannot find the 6.7.5 public release discussion.  I installed it today, Paste and Match Style is still broken, copying and pasting from various web sites inconsistently pastes either plain text, or full graphics and formatting, I cannot determine a pattern of when it works and when it doesn't.  

Back to 6.5, where it works as it should.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Pasting text from notepad strips out extra lines. So (I am using NotePad++ in this example, same thing - raw unfomatted text):

image.png.81340f77ada0a738fcf872e49ec2d738.png

Pasting that into Evernote will just give 6 lines of text without the extra lines. Doesn't matter if you Paste or Paste Matching Style.

Happens with just notepad too.  There is a similar issue being tracked for Mac - but I filed a new bug for this to make sure no one forgets it 

• Ex Employees
48 minutes ago, EdH said:

Pasting text from notepad strips out extra lines. So (I am using NotePad++ in this example, same thing - raw unfomatted text):

Pasting that into Evernote will just give 6 lines of text without the extra lines. Doesn't matter if you Paste or Paste Matching Style.

Thanks @EdH, I've reported this to our development team and they're investigating.

• Level 5*
On 9/29/2017 at 8:45 AM, Jason Miller said:

Thanks I am sharing all the comments with Product Management 

If this happens, The names should be changed.

• Paste
  • Paste as plain text with hyperlinks (or links)
  • Paste as plain text

No one knows what "paste and match style" means since no one can figure out what it actually does.

• Level 5*

Table formatting bug.  Pretty sure this isn't a beta issue, it is also in the previous Windows version.  

The background table color process fails when you return to a note where you have set some background colors and you change one.  Example below.  Set the background color to light green, left the note, came back and changed the background color to light blue.  The original color sort of shades the text.  Not the most difficult bug to find....

ScreenClip.png.ad56c6d509b10662ea9e7c64256e0932.png

EDIT:  Bug submitted, support ticket #2224894

Not a beta issue, sorry the fixed hasn't be brought in (into the editor) yet for this 

• Level 5*

Table formatting bug.  Pretty sure this isn't a beta issue, it is also in the previous Windows version.  

The background table color process fails when you return to a note where you have set some background colors and you change one.  Example below.  Set the background color to light green, left the note, came back and changed the background color to light blue.  The original color sort of shades the text.  Not the most difficult bug to find....

ScreenClip.png.ad56c6d509b10662ea9e7c64256e0932.png

EDIT:  Bug submitted, support ticket #2224894

One minor bug to report. When tagging a single note, pressing the Tab key will auto-complete the selected tag (if it already exists). However, when tagging multiple notes, pressing the Tab key does nothing and forces the user to select the existing tag with the mouse.

On 9/28/2017 at 6:41 PM, csihilling said:

Folks seem to want

1. Paste
  3. Paste plain text

'Twould seem many think Paste and Match Style should be plain text.  As it once was, I think?  I'm all for adding Ctrl-Shift-Alt-V or whatever to get plain text.

These would all be useful but requesting that these be keyboard shortcut customizable from the user perspective. Most people I think have gotten use to Ctrl Shift V being "Paste as Plain Text" since that is what Firefox and Google Chrome seem to do.

13 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Well, one of the three would work for you?

Not really - they seem mutually exclusive, with the hyperlinks only in the "match style" option. I would want it with plain text as well, for the reason I stated.

I'm not a fan of the "match style" because half the time I'm using Ctrl Shift V (in 6.5) to fix a formatting issue, like double spacing or something. 

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, lisec said:

I definitely want to keep hyperlinks no matter how the paste ends up working formatting wise. Too many sites use <a href> for links, where a word stands in for the url. Without the link there is no way of knowing what the link was.  I see no harm and only a benefit it including links. It's quick enough to select the paragraph and choose "remove formatting" if the links really are unwanted.

Well, one of the three would work for you?

22 hours ago, csihilling said:

Folks seem to want

1. Paste
  3. Paste plain text

I definitely want to keep hyperlinks no matter how the paste ends up working formatting wise. Too many sites use <a href> for links, where a word stands in for the url. Without the link there is no way of knowing what the link was.  I see no harm and only a benefit it including links. It's quick enough to select the paragraph and choose "remove formatting" if the links really are unwanted.

36 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Did I miss this all along, or has the capability to have each EN premium account open in its own just appeared?  You have to switch for basic accounts, but a window each for premium accounts.  

It has been part of the business split, so in place for a bit, but not long 

• Level 5*

Did I miss this all along, or has the capability to have each EN premium account open in its own just appeared?  You have to switch for basic accounts, but a window each for premium accounts.  

17 hours ago, csihilling said:

Folks seem to want

1. Paste
  3. Paste plain text

Thanks I am sharing all the comments with Product Management 

23 hours ago, jefito said:

Strange, this seems to work for me on 6.8.1. on Win 10.

I was going to suggest that you check that this shortcut key is enabled by checking Tools / Options / Shortcut Keys, but your scenario seems to suggest that this is working only in certain situations. I can't seem to make it fail whether I have a current search or not.

Weird.

Hmm, could be that it's just my Windows 7 @work. @home I have Windows 10 and it works like a charm. 

Archived