HEIF images not shown in iOS and Windows apps of evernote

I upgraded to iOS 11 on my iphone yesterday and opted to save phone photos in the HEIF format, which consumes less space and offers equal or even better quality than the jpg format.

However, when I created a note in the iOS version of evernote and inserted two HEIF images, the note only shows two blank squares, while the thumbnail of this note in the note list view shows correctly.

I then opened the evernote app on windows, and the note only shows two HEIF attachment icons.

Is there any work-around? Does evernote plan to solve this in the future?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  PNG, JPG and PDF files are the only ones whose content is generally shown 'inline' rather than showing as an attachment - although PDF files can be switched between the two.  All other files types including,  apparently HEIF images,  show up as icons.  As with all other file types (and many other images) it should be possible to open HEIF pics in a compatible viewer,  despite them not showing up online.  There's no way (AFAIK) to include compatibility for that specific file type,  and if Evernote have considered,  or are considering including that in a future update,  they're not usually inclined to comment in advance of a beta release.  The only way to see the pciture in your note is to use one of the standard three formats.

If you're concerned about saving space in that note on your device by using a more efficient picture compression,  don't be:  your HEIF file will be converted to the database format,  and the note will be stored on the server,  not your device.  It occupies temporary storage only while on your device.

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-23 at 9:59 AM, Kaaaaai said:

Does evernote plan to solve this in the future?

You may want to post this as feature request at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/304-evernote-feature-requests/?do=add

I'd add my vote - it's the new image format standard being used by Apple and I'd like to an inline viewer

On 2017/9/28 at 7:08 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  PNG, JPG and PDF files are the only ones whose content is generally shown 'inline' rather than showing as an attachment - although PDF files can be switched between the two.  All other files types including,  apparently HEIF images,  show up as icons.  As with all other file types (and many other images) it should be possible to open HEIF pics in a compatible viewer,  despite them not showing up online.  There's no way (AFAIK) to include compatibility for that specific file type,  and if Evernote have considered,  or are considering including that in a future update,  they're not usually inclined to comment in advance of a beta release.  The only way to see the pciture in your note is to use one of the standard three formats.

If you're concerned about saving space in that note on your device by using a more efficient picture compression,  don't be:  your HEIF file will be converted to the database format,  and the note will be stored on the server,  not your device.  It occupies temporary storage only while on your device.

Thanks for the comments! I will convert HEIF to JPG for now. Let's see if Evernote will add support for HEIF in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 1:08 AM, gazumped said:

PNG, JPG and PDF files are the only ones whose content is generally shown 'inline' rather than showing as an attachment - although PDF files can be switched between the two. 

How can I show Pdfs inline on iOS? All my Pdfs are shown as attachment, which drives me crazy.

• Level 5*

Sorry - should have specified that they default to 'inline' in the dektop applications. 

Mobiles don't have a local copy of the note (unless it's been viewed or edited earlier in a session,  in which case a version might be available in temporary memory).  The whole note has to be downloaded on initial viewing.  To avoid killing user bandwidth when a someone opened a note with a 20MB PDF attached,  Evernote initially only show the icon - allowing users to choose whether or not to download the content.

PNG and JPGs on the other hand are always shown inline,  so if you have essential information you want to see quickly,  try exporting the page / file to an image and attach to the same note.

Archived