Best hardware scanner for Evernote

Hi,

i have been using my snap scan since 4 years and I like it however I'm looking for something more efficient and powerful. 

Customer support team from Evernote hasn't really be helpful answering my questions  that's the reason why I'm asking the community for help :)

I would need a scanner which is:

compatible with macOS

can process all formats up to A4 

can do ocr (I believe this is helpful for text indexation in Evernote)

can send the scanned document directly to evernote

can process 30 pages or more reasonably quick and most importantly without supervision

I hope I could describe my needs as clearly as possible. If I haven't please don't hesitate to ask me about things i could have overlooked. 

Thanks

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, jeanjacquesd said:

I would need a scanner which is:

It would be a good idea to add “Scanner” to the title of this discussion

Personally, I’m just using my iPad camera for scanning into Evernote.  I almost never use my flatbed scanner

>> can send the scanned document directly to evernote

Do you mean directly to the Evernote Mac app, or directly to the Evernote servers?

My setup is scanning to a Mac import folder where the scan is automatically sucked into Evernote

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It would be a good idea to add “Scanner” to the title of this discussion

Personally, I’m just using my iPad camera for scanning into Evernote.  I almost never use my flatbed scanner

>> can send the scanned document directly to evernote

Do you mean directly to the Evernote Mac app, or directly to the Evernote servers?

My setup is scanning to a Mac import folder where the scan is automatically sucked into Evernote

Just edited the title. 

I would prefer a scanner which sends documents directly within the Evernote app on my desktop. 

So far the Fujitsu Fi-7160 looks like a good fit but I'm not sure if it's well integrated within Evernote as the snapscan is.

• Level 5*

I'd be more concerned at identifying the right scanner for the documents you're digitizing - all scanners will save their output to a file on a desktop computer,  and when that happens you can set up an Import Folder (Windows) or use scripting (Mac) to pass the file onto Evernote immediately.  I prefer to scan to folder because I can do some editing of content and titles and batch OCR before moving the files to an Import Folder.  Going one step further and sending the file direct to Evernote without touching the desktop first does require some integration but I'd imagine Fujitsu Support would be able to confirm whether or not the Fi-7160 will handle that...

Thanks gazumped for the advice regarding the import folder, I'll do it this way then.

Regarding the types of documents I plan to digitize it's mostly A4 rector/verso papers, this is about 90% of what I scan. My SnapScan took the bad habit of getting blocked while scanning 20+ pages this is why I'd like an upgrade.

Regarding the OCR, I believe this is done automatically using Snapscan. I don't mind having everything into a synced folder however I'd like to avoid adding a step in my workflow by using abbyy. Is it a compulsory step to add the one off OCR within the workflow  or could it be automated?

Thanks

• Level 5*

A batch OCR just seems to me to be the most efficient way to do this.  If I let my scanner produce a searchable PDF file (meaning it OCRs whilst scanning) it takes a minute or two per document.  If I switch OCR off,  the scan zips through at something like two sides of a page per second. 

When I've edited the files,  added the occasional missed page and tidied up,  I get Acrobat to OCR all files and go have a coffee.  When I come back I can add the files to my import folder and start over.

None of that is obligatory - you can OCR as you scan if that's your preference (and the scanner supports it...)

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

A batch OCR just seems to me to be the most efficient way to do this.  If I let my scanner produce a searchable PDF file (meaning it OCRs whilst scanning) it takes a minute or two per document.  If I switch OCR off,  the scan zips through at something like two sides of a page per second. 

When I've edited the files,  added the occasional missed page and tidied up,  I get Acrobat to OCR all files and go have a coffee.  When I come back I can add the files to my import folder and start over.

None of that is obligatory - you can OCR as you scan if that's your preference (and the scanner supports it...)

Out of interest how dense is the text on the documents you are scanning?  Using the ScanSnap software I find it takes about a second per two sided page to OCR a document.  Probably not the densest of documents relative to word count, but still.  I use what I think is the most recent version of ScanSnap manager, 6.5 L61.  It takes Adobe about 6 seconds per two sided page to recognize text in the same file.

I just went and searched to be sure my scans are being OCRd and they are.  You spooked me.  :wacko:

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Sorry if I panicked you!  Maybe I misremember how long it was taking then - my stuff is mainly letters in 10pt text or larger,  and printed stuff - report pages and things with type down to barely legible for the small print.

I did a test a couple of years ago to compare the scan speed of searchable PDFs vs plain scans and it seemed to be substantially faster.  Could have been the content I chose for that session I guess...  now it's just 'the way I do things'...  

I still prefer the batch method anyways - I don't often often do any major edits to a scan,  by way of adding pages or re-ordering pages,  but it does happen.  This way I OCR after I finish messing with the content.

• Level 5*

No problem, a quick search and all was well.  That and another dram or two...

I do remember it taking a bit longer on the previous version of ScanSnap Manager, though not much.  This one is lickety split though.  Horses for courses as always.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using an older version of the canon imageFormula P-215 for around 2 years. It has Evernote as a config option in their P-Touch software. I only scan around 100 pages per month, all colour duplex and searchable. Each page takes around 4 seconds. Mostly work docs and bills etc. I have found the document feed style of scanner makes a huge difference to the speed of the process, although I do feed it a page at a time to avoid getting two pages driven through together. It's also not great for photographs or very thick card. Very annoyed that they have dropped support for the latest OS X High Sierra from my scanner rendering it useless on my Mac. So I am sort of recommending Cannon and not at the same time. Very useful!

Archived