Evernote for Mac 6.12.3 Beta

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

6.12.3 is a dot release - it includes fixes to get sync reliability back to normal levels as well as some fixes for intermittent crashes on upgrade and annotation. You can download it here. This will be going to GA in the next couple of days. 

Please stay tuned for 6.13 which is also coming up soon as this will have some upcoming tweaks to the editing experience based on some of the issues reported here. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team 

Version 6.12.3 

Fixed: Fixed crash and sync issues some users are encountering.

Version 6.12.2 

Fixed: A fix where text when copied from Evernote and pasted into another app sometimes has additional punctuation and other characters added to it.

Version 6.12.1

Fixed: A fix for a crash some users are encountering on quitting the app.

Version 6.12

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights of what you can do with tables now:

• Add more rows and columns with a single click: Point to where you want a new column and click the plus button that appears.
  • Select the contents of a cell by clicking and dragging.
  • Choose the entire column or row just by clicking the header.
  • Drag and drop entire rows & columns.
  • Copy and paste multiple cells: Select the cells you want to move, copy them, move cursor to a new spot and paste all the cells with one click.
  • Adjust the width of one column without affecting the width of the column next to it.
  • Scroll horizontally to view a table with many columns without expanding your window.
  • Hover within a cell to activate advanced table options.
    • You can distribute columns evenly
    • Match the table width to the width of your window
    • Change the alignment of items within cells
    • Add and change background colors

Multi-tasking improvements

• Keep your Evernote content organized using tabs. Create a new tab by selecting the 'New Tab' option under the File menu.
  • Pick up from where you left off - if you exit the app and re-open it, you'll return to your previously opened windows / state.

Separation of Business and Personal

• No longer intermingle your business and personal content in your Evernote experience but still multi-task when you need to. Improving on 6.11 Beta 1 & 2, we've added support for having business and personal notes open side-by-side.

Bug fixes

We’ve fixed several bugs that users reported including:

• Evernote does not update business tags list after the sync
  • Pasting a large amount of text into a note fails with no error message
  • An intermittent crash on account switching

34 replies to this idea

On 9/23/2017 at 5:17 PM, EdH said:

Amen. I wish we could have 90 days of no new features being worked on at all, just FIX. THE. BUGS. 

All platforms, or at least Windows, macOS, and iOS. I cannot speak for Android.

In software development it impossible to fix all bugs - and usually when a product enters only bug fix more - it turns into maintenance only software and users never see any new features :-( 

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Why this continual rush-to-release, especially when you know there are serious bugs in the release???

Amen. I wish we could have 90 days of no new features being worked on at all, just FIX. THE. BUGS. 

All platforms, or at least Windows, macOS, and iOS. I cannot speak for Android.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

Can anyone paste tables from Excel successfully?

@EdH, I know you are probably referring to this ver, 6.12.3 Beta, but just to confirm, paste from Excel does NOT work properly for:
Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.11.6.

This is nothing new.  It has  been reported, and ignored, for years now.

14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

That would be great!  ?

Agreed. And that's my point entirely: new features will be MUCH better received and by extension, adoption rates will probably skyrocket if you JUST FIX THE BUGS FIRST, and introduce new features SECOND. Prioritizing in that order will likely result in higher customer retention. For all of us who've raised issues here, I wonder how many never do, and just end up leaving the Evernote platform without even making a sound?? Likely more than those of us who comment here. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-22 at 5:46 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Why this continual rush-to-release, especially when you know there are serious bugs in the release

Again, you’re posting in the release discussion for a bug fix patch (6.12.3)

I suspect your complaint is about the 6.12 release, in which users identified serious bugs after the release

I’m welcoming the quick release of these bug fix patches and recognize each patch only targets specific bugs

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I suspect your complaint is about the 6.12 release, in which users identified serious bugs after the release

No.  My complaint is about the usual release, more focused on new features than on fixing bugs.

If Evernote provided better testing and QA, then there would be fewer new bugs in each release.  But, in the advent of the release of a material bug, then I would welcome a quick release with the bug fix (it still needs good testing and QA to make sure the fix doesn't break something else).  A good example of this is version 6.11.1, which was entirely focus on fixing the bugs (and some changes in behavior widely objected to) in 6.11.

I was much encouraged by 6.11.1, but unfortunately Evernote reverted to prior approach to new releases with 6.12+.

On 9/23/2017 at 5:16 PM, EdH said:

Can anyone paste tables from Excel successfully? I still get the issue where the column selectors are bunched up on the left and you cannot resize the columns. This seems to be a macOS version. I'll test tomorrow on Windows version, but don't recall seeing that there recently.

We test with Excel often, and haven't run into this suggesting we are missing a formatting style or template that use with your tables that are impacting the new table UI

Can you share more details?

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I don't know if you intend to be this way, but you continually come across as  ...

My intention is to protect my computer from unworkable software bugs, and to advise users on the steps they can take.  I’m more interested in posts on how to solve issues than “Evernote is bad” posts

I participate in the beta testing program, and log bug reports.  Other than that,  I have no involvement with Evernote’s QA and testing, and am not in any position to defend, excuse or apologize. 

>>It is NOT our job to risk our critical daily workflows by testing beta software.

I see no problem with

• Participating in the beta testing program / or not participating.  Its a personal choice
    I have the time and hardware, and am happy to beta test.  
    It helps to fix bugs before they get released to the public
  • Personally delaying upgrades until bugs are identified
  • Personally downgrading the software version if unworkable errors are encountered

>>Why don't you give it a rest, and let Evernote ...

Why don’t you give it a rest with your posts advising Evernote on how to do their work.  Do you really think your comments serve any purpose?   Let them do their job even though it’s not  up to your standards

• Level 5*
On 9/25/2017 at 1:06 PM, Jason Miller said:

usually when a product enters only bug fix more - it turns into maintenance only software and users never see any new features :-( 

Where have you seen this?

In my 30+ years experience of intensive, very frequent use of software, as a developer, as a IT manager, I don't recall seeing this happen.  Sure it's possible, but that is what management is for, to strike the proper balance between fixing bugs and adding new features.  IMO, the best, most reliable software comes from a dual track in development: (1) short-term updates fixing bugs;  (2) long-term updates/upgrades adding new features.

Let me cite such a software, that is highly successful, highly reliable, is quick to fix the few bugs that are released, but once a year has an incredible upgrade: Keyboard Maestro .  You can add to this:  Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, and I'm sure there are more.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:47 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

it includes fixes to get sync reliability back to normal levels

I still get sync conflicts while editing a document...

I've had 2 in the last 2 days...

About 10 over the last month...

This is while editing a note ONLY on my Mac (without the app active nor running on another device)...

It's never been this bad ;'(

The earliest Conflicting Changes is from 2017-08-24

Could you recommend me a version to downgrade to that's earlier than that date?

23 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Where have you seen this?

In my 30+ years experience of intensive, very frequent use of software, as a developer, as a IT manager, I don't recall seeing this happen.  Sure it's possible, but that is what management is for, to strike the proper balance between fixing bugs and adding new features.  IMO, the best, most reliable software comes from a dual track in development: (1) short-term updates fixing bugs;  (2) long-term updates/upgrades adding new features.

Let me cite such a software, that is highly successful, highly reliable, is quick to fix the few bugs that are released, but once a year has an incredible upgrade: Keyboard Maestro .  You can add to this:  Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, and I'm sure there are more.

Many companies I have worked at 

• Level 5*
On 9/25/2017 at 11:05 AM, Jason Miller said:

We test with Excel often, and haven't run into this suggesting we are missing a formatting style or template that use with your tables that are impacting the new table UI

Can you share more details?

this is what I see. This is a simple table from Excel just pasted in. The columns are not adjustable. This was made with the latest beta by the way, installed last night. I am just replying here to your post.

screenshot.png.b39e7934c746a14918c953defeac720e.png

The actual note is here - Bad Table.enex

• Level 5*
On 9/25/2017 at 11:06 AM, Jason Miller said:

In software development it impossible to fix all bugs - and usually when a product enters only bug fix more - it turns into maintenance only software and users never see any new features :-( 

No one is suggesting you fix 100% of the bugs, that isn't possible. Neither is anyone suggesting you cease new development.

Evernote though seems to be on the opposite extreme of that - headlong into new features at high speed that are buggy, and at best not well implemented, and at worst not well though out as far as what the repercussions are. Paste Matching Style is a train wreck and no one likes it, the new tables look good, but introduce unbearably fat margins, aren't reliable in how they work and are inconsistent. The spell checking of contractions hasn't worked in 2 years. And those are just my short list.

What I said was 90 days. 90 days. Ninety. Days. Just fix bugs. Quit working on new stuff and tighten up what you have. 

10 minutes ago, EdH said:

No one is suggesting you fix 100% of the bugs, that isn't possible. Neither is anyone suggesting you cease new development.

Evernote though seems to be on the opposite extreme of that - headlong into new features at high speed that are buggy, and at best not well implemented, and at worst not well though out as far as what the repercussions are. Paste Matching Style is a train wreck and no one likes it, the new tables look good, but introduce unbearably fat margins, aren't reliable in how they work and are inconsistent. The spell checking of contractions hasn't worked in 2 years. And those are just my short list.

What I said was 90 days. 90 days. Ninety. Days. Just fix bugs. Quit working on new stuff and tighten up what you have. 

AGREED! Just tighten up the feature set so they WORK AS ADVERTISED. We're suffering from 'New Feature Fatigue'. Honestly, it took over a year just to fix the 'bullet list bug', and that should have been addressed MUCH sooner. What's an acceptable timeframe from a bug being reported to having it fixed? I'd say a very GENEROUS 30 days should be more than ample, unless it's due to an operating system or API glitch that's out of your hands. But if you introduce a new feature, and it's buggy as hell, then I give you 30 DAYS to fix it. That's all. Who's with me on this??

1 hour ago, EdH said:

this is what I see. This is a simple table from Excel just pasted in. The columns are not adjustable. This was made with the latest beta by the way, installed last night. I am just replying here to your post.

screenshot.png.b39e7934c746a14918c953defeac720e.png

The actual note is here - Bad Table.enex

We'll have QA look at it more, paste from Excel (Office 365?) on Mac

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

We'll have QA look at it more, paste from Excel (Office 365?) on Mac

Correct. Has been going on since the new table format was created, so many iterations of Excel 2016 on the Mac (MS releases updates frequently) and may iterations of Evernote, both release and beta.

EDIT: This issue does not exist on Evernote for Windows.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

6.12.3 is a dot release - it includes fixes to get sync reliability back to normal levels

I'm still seeing ongoing getSyncState activity as well as what looks like full syncing.  
I can provide activity logs.  
Its not causing conflicts; just unexpected activity with Sync turned off

Version 6.12.3 Beta 1 (455511 Direct)

Cursor keeps shifting positions when editing a field in a business card note. I'll type two or three characters, then the damn cursor will JUMP back on it's own to the first position on the line. GRRRR. Damned annoying and keeps me from using Evernote the way I'd like to. 

FIX PLEASE!!

18 hours ago, corpjester said:

Version 6.12.3 Beta 1 (455511 Direct)

Cursor keeps shifting positions when editing a field in a business card note. I'll type two or three characters, then the damn cursor will JUMP back on it's own to the first position on the line. GRRRR. Damned annoying and keeps me from using Evernote the way I'd like to. 

FIX PLEASE!!

Sorry this is fixed, but the updates didn't make into the beta - it will be in 6.13

22 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Sorry this is fixed, but the updates didn't make into the beta - it will be in 6.13

Sorry. NOT fixed. Just updated to release version of 6.13. Bug still exists. PLEASE FIX ASAP, it's utterly unexpected behaviour.

• Level 5*

Can anyone paste tables from Excel successfully? I still get the issue where the column selectors are bunched up on the left and you cannot resize the columns. This seems to be a macOS version. I'll test tomorrow on Windows version, but don't recall seeing that there recently.

Oops. My bad. You are right. Not 6.13. Only updated to Version 6.12.3 (455520 Direct). And yes, the cursor jumping bug still exists in this version. What I don't understand is why, if you have the code to fix it, you haven't included it yet? it's a pretty heinous bug as far as performance is concerned. 

17 minutes ago, corpjester said:

Oops. My bad. You are right. Not 6.13. Only updated to Version 6.12.3 (455520 Direct). And yes, the cursor jumping bug still exists in this version. What I don't understand is why, if you have the code to fix it, you haven't included it yet? it's a pretty heinous bug as far as performance is concerned. 

No worries, as for the "why" the editor library was updated, but the team didn't have a time to include the update and get the build out (as fast as they wanted) - logistics 

6 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

No worries, as for the "why" the editor library was updated, but the team didn't have a time to include the update and get the build out (as fast as they wanted) - logistics 

Then I would strongly recommend not releasing an update with such a glaring code malfunction. Quality beats quantity anyday, everytime. I'd rather wait for something to work properly than use a broken piece of software. As a Premium User for several years now, I've observed this happen more often than I'd like. If that's how you're using my annual fee, I'd like my money back. Sorry if that harsh, but I think I'm entitled (as are the rest of us paying customers) to a certain amount of rigour and code-checking prior to ANY release. Its become a de facto standard to 'push it out' rather than proof it properly. And I know this to be a software industry-wide cultural phenomenon. Its not just you. I'm just tired of it. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-22 at 1:38 PM, corpjester said:

Then I would strongly recommend not releasing an update with such a glaring code malfunction.

A good recommendation but I think the problem is less about “releasing” and more to do with missing identifying the “glaring code malfunction”

You could assist with this by participating in the beta testing program to identify these bugs

On our part, as users we can control the software versions on our computers.  We don’t have to install upgrades, and we can revert back to  previous versions

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

You could assist with this by participating in the beta testing program to identify these bugs

On our part, as users we can control the software versions on our computers.  We don’t have to install upgrades, and we can revert back to  previous versions

@DTLow, I don't know if you intend to be this way, but you continually come across as excusing and apologizing for the very poor testing and QA by Evernote.  Why don't you give it a rest, and let Evernote defend their own software, their own decisions to release.

It is NOT our job to risk our critical daily workflows by testing beta software.  I think it is a fair expectation of Evernote for their entire team to produce software that is reasonably free of material bugs.  I'm not asking for "bug-free" software -- we all know that is near impossible.  But it is also clear that Evernote could and should produce software that has many less bugs than they do.  They should especially fix all of the obvious bugs that most of us see as soon as we run the app.

4 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

as for the "why" the editor library was updated, but the team didn't have a time to include the update and get the build out (as fast as they wanted) - logistics 

ATTN: @Evernote ( @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller )

Why this continual rush-to-release, especially when you know there are serious bugs in the release???

EN Mac 6.11.1 seems reasonably stable, with very few, if any, material bugs.  Why don't you guys just stick with that version until you can properly design and test the next version?  As far as I'm concerned, every 6.12 version has been way premature, still in early beta condition, that no one should risk their critical workflows with.

If you guys would figure out a way for us end-users to install a Beta version while keeping and not impacting our current production version, I would be glad to test it.  Or, if you want to pay us for beta testing, I would install a virtual machine to test the Betas.  But I also expect you to do you part first.

Archived