GTD question from a newbie

KW_S

When processing your Inbox, how many items do you move to various contexts? Just those you plan to work on soon or everything that fits? If I put tasks that I think I'll work on next week into my @Work PC context, for example, it seems like it may save me a step. While if I throw it into Someday/Maybe then I've got to review it all over again, at least in terms of deciding the context. Not sure the right answer here.

As an example: I write blog posts on various topics and the topics come to me at different times. It's usually helpful to compare one topic to another to prioritize. If I only put the one I plan to work on right now into @Work PC , and the rest into Someday/Maybe, it would make that comparison difficult.

Many thanks for your input!

• Level 5*

You should move everything into your contexts.

Your Inbox should always be empty. If you leave stuff in it to review later, then you will review things many many many times before finally moving them to contexts. The goal of GTD is to touch as few times as possible. Times you'd normally touch them:

• First put in inbox
  • Move to your pending folder with the who/what/where/when set.
  • Adjust in the pending folder during a weekly review
  • When you actually do it.

If you keep things in your inbox, it becomes something you dread going to because there is so much crapola in there.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, KW_S said:

my question is more about moving tasks/items into "Someday/Maybe" or the various contexts. 

When you say “moving into” it sounds like you’re using notebooks, and applying a single concept to task
I would want to assign both concepts (context and priority) to a task.

My process is tag based.  
So, a tag to identify context, and a tag to identify priority.   I also use a tag to identify the project.

>>When processing your Inbox, how many items do you move

As per @EdH, by end of day I've moved all items out of my Inbox(s)

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, KW_S said:

I agree with that 100% but my question is more about moving tasks/items into "Someday/Maybe" or the various contexts. Any thoughts there? Thanks for your quick response.

That is 100% your call based on when you think you will do them or need to do them. I found that "someday/maybe" meant "delete this later." :D So for me, pretty much everything is next, soon, or never.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, KW_S said:

As an example: I write blog posts on various topics and the topics come to me at different times. It's usually helpful to compare one topic to another to prioritize. If I only put the one I plan to work on right now into @Work PC , and the rest into Someday/Maybe, it would make that comparison difficult.

Add a Blog.Posts or the like  tag to each of the topic notes.  Then you can search across contexts if you want to re-prioritize.  Add _Completed Date to the note when you are done and then adding  -_Comp* to the search will only return active topics.  Or delete the Blog.Posts tag when done.  Function of what you want to remember long term I suppose.  FWIW.

Archived