Option to disable automatic hyperlink formatting

Cccc

Idea

I copy and paste a lot of email addresses and have notes whose content is largely email addresses. They are maintained as plain text so that I can copy them to other places (without the blue formatting) but - most important - so that l can click on the note to make it active without triggering an new email.

I used to be able to put a semicolon after each address and it would not recognize it as such. I could then copy/paste the addresses around and they stay plaintext.

The new version broke this. Now, copying/pasting these triggers the hyperlink formatting. I then have to laboriously select each one - making sure NOT to click, as that triggers an email - and being sure to include exactly all characters in the address, not missing any and not having extras, then remove the link that I never wanted in the first place.

I would be happy with any of:

1) restoring the previous behavior

2) being able to select a region of text which includes links and non-links, then removing all links in the region

3) having a preference setting to disable automatic link creation

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 replies to this idea

There's another post on this same topic.  An evernote guru (don't think it was an employee), replied and said if it's important to you, it needs up votes.  Automatic hyperlinks are a huge problem for me.  Wish they'd work on it or at least let us know what the status is (or if they plain don't want to implement that feature).

• Like 3

Yeah, a lot of the notes I make are related to network and Internet technology. I very very often include dummy URLs/URIs that do not exist, just as examples of what the settings or contents of some network/Internet technology should look like. This means my notes are filled with links that look like they should be links, but are not links, and just lead nowhere. Get rid of them please!

• Like 1

I agree. And it makes it even more difficult to deal with when the tooltip window pops up every time your mouse hovers over a hyperlink. Some notes I have are mostly email addresses and it makes using the note almost impossible with how much it pops up asking if you want to open the hyperlink.

This is super irritating and needs to be fixed.  I use my tablet a lot so get no value from right click features or ctrl characters to delete these stupid auto links.  I often copy paste part numbers to keep track of and this set up turns them into links that I can't get rid of.  Brutal.

How do I upvote.  I'm a newbie.

• Like 1

I've given up unlinking them over and over.  If you use Apple Notes on a Mac there are Substitution options and one of these is Smart Links. I've resorted to Apple Notes for notes that I don't want auto linked. I then create a short note in Evernote with a reminder to look in Apple Notes!  

1483692272_ScreenShot2019-07-15at8_17_20pm.png.0b9b8439687a937d0ce25c1f24b60874.png

296627184_ScreenShot2019-07-15at8_17_45pm.png.83a495032f5a2b4a69dd02b0eee408ae.png

@evernnote Did we fix this yet? Not being able to disable something like this is poor software practice. 

Especially now that there are so many more domains besides, .com, gov., .org ... you get the picture. 

Please fix this fast.

• Level 5

Nobody will fix anything on forum posts - especially when a stupid „@address“ is used and even misspelled. This won‘t work …

If you want a topic changed, you can use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.

To me is the most annoying "feature". I copy and paste IP addresses and domain names all day and, especially in the case of IP addresses, to have these automatically turn into web links makes no sense. Very few of the IP addresses on the Internet are web servers and virtually all web servers are accessed via domain names, not IP addresses. I have been using a workaround of putting lots of my notes inside code blocks, where this automatic formatting does not happen, but no one should have to go to such extreme. Unless someone explicitly types "http(s)://" at the beginning of an IP address, it should not be automatically formatted in to a web link.