(Archived) GPS Location Inconsistent

All,

Haven't found this addressed before, but I'm a new user (love the apps!) and have noticed that location tags between the iPhone app, the online/web version and the desktop (Windows) version are all different. I took a photo last night and created a note for it in Evernote. When I click the coordinates in the iPhone app, it takes me to a map that has the pin in the exact and correct location of where I took the photo.

However, when I click the "view on map" link in the desktop version, or in the website, it takes me to a map that has the pin in a completely different place. It's in the right city, but it's in a different part of the city. But the iPhone app's pin remains correct.

Is this a known issue?

FWIW, I entered some coordinates in the desktop version and it did the same thing, but after it synced, it showed up correctly in the iPhone app. Still shows up funky in the desktop version.

We store the latitude and longitude within Evernote, and use this in both places. It's possible that we're not giving the coordinate correctly to Google Maps when you try to view it. Which desktop client are you using?

Thanks

We store the latitude and longitude within Evernote, and use this in both places. It's possible that we're not giving the coordinate correctly to Google Maps when you try to view it. Which desktop client are you using?

Thanks

@engberg - I'm using Evernote version 3.5.4.2343 on Windows Vista. When I click, it opens Google Maps in Chrome. (Is that what you're asking?)

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue until I realized what's going on:

Google Maps (or other maps websites I found) does not "understand" the longitude coordinates Evernote records. It simply understand the name of the city that is stored within the notes (for example, New York, ny), and that's where the pin will be when you look online.

However, the coordinates are there and ready to use when you use Evernote with your phone. If you download Google Earth, for example, and put the coordinates in, it will take you exactly to where you took the picture. So you see, the issue is with "explaining" these coordinates to Google maps, it's not in Evernote.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a similar issues with location accuracy when EN opens up maps.google.com

Evernote Premium. Windows client 3.5.5.2567 (91341) on Vista and I have the latest version of Google Chrome set as my default browser.

One of the many things I track with EN is photography locations that I have researched. One location per note tagged with county, state and photo-subject. For about 95% of these notes, I am entering the location's GPS lattitude and longitude by hand based on values I get out of Google Maps (i.e. right mouse click and "What's here" menu option). The other 5% is made up of notes taken with my HTC Drodi Incredible and camera snapshot option from EN with GPS activated.

For the manually entered GPS locations in notes, I paste those values into the proper fields in EN under "Set Location" and save. If I then use the "View on map" function, it opens up a new tab in Google Chrome with google maps but with a location pinpoint that is sometimes several miles off and sometimes several hundred miles off. The GPS location that it passes over to maps seems correct and if I take the location and paste it into a brand new tab with google maps, the location pin will indeed be placed accurately. It is only innacurate when it is launched via the "view in maps" function.

As a sample, I created a note for a known location of a very cool One-Room Schoolhosue nearby that I want to photograph.

Lattitude = 40.54453

Longitutde = -75.761451

Street address = 1100 Eagle Point Rd Kutztown, PA 19530

When EN opens up maps.google.com I find that the location pin has been positioned soemwhere up in Columbia County and above route 80 which is roughly 90 miles away from the actual destination in the note.

Is there some special format that the GPS location must be entered into EN as in order for the accuracu to be preserved ?

Archived