Jump to content
We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×

Safari Clipper Freezes Safari


Dgolf

Recommended Posts

Hi. OS 10.12.6, Safari 10.1.2.

Safari was freezing each and every time I used it. I had only one extension added: WebClipper. I removed WebClipper. Not Safari works fine. I miss WebClipper and don't want to use another browser. Anyone heard of a Safari-freezing issue caused by WebClipper? 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
On 11/09/2017 at 9:40 PM, Dgolf said:

Anyone heard of a Safari-freezing issue caused by WebClipper? 

Not apparently in the past few days...  while you're waiting for responses,  have you uninstalled / reinstalled and checked out the cookie issue with Safari?

 

 

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Hi again.  Sorry - right principle,  wrong link:  

Again,  wrong issue - there aren't any reports (AFAIK) of Safari 'freezing' - but it seems possible that the block is caused by Clipper being unable to verify a connection with Evernote.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having this problem. Haven't been able to use the web clipper for over a year. Installed High Sierra, Safari 11 retried the web clipper. Extension installed OK but it causes Safari 11 to crash every time I try a search.

Link to post
On 15/09/2017 at 5:53 PM, Dgolf said:

Thank you for the reply, Guru. The cookies exception being discussed in the thread was for this forum, not the clipper. Do you (or does anyone here) know what cookie exception I'd add for Web Clipper? 

Did you get an answer?

Link to post
On 9/15/2017 at 4:32 PM, gazumped said:

Hi again.  Sorry - right principle,  wrong link:  

Again,  wrong issue - there aren't any reports (AFAIK) of Safari 'freezing' - but it seems possible that the block is caused by Clipper being unable to verify a connection with Evernote.

This delete, reinstall solution does not work in High Sierra for me.  Apple seems to have removed the "Always accept cookies from this site" option and "Accept cookies from websites I visit".  These optiions are not in Privacy or Websites that I can find.  I'm down to trying to log what Evernote web clipper login is trying to load and whitelisting those individually unless there are idea from other High Sierra users.  

(Of course I notice this issue less than a week after premium renewal!)  ; )

Link to post

Some serious thread necromancy, but since it's been hijacked for this new issue...

Seeing the same thing on two systems running MacOS 10.12.6 and Safari 11, with the latest Evernote Web Clipper. Reinstalling does not help, logging in again does not help, and "Privacy > Cookies and Web Data" is set to "Allow from websites I visit". However, I do know that Apple significantly tightened what "visit" means, so if you're relying on that functionality to make the extension work, then you're probably out of luck. I'm certainly not going to allow everyone to track me so you can make your toolbar button work.

Link to post
  • Evernote Staff
6 hours ago, Byter68 said:

This delete, reinstall solution does not work in High Sierra for me.  Apple seems to have removed the "Always accept cookies from this site" option and "Accept cookies from websites I visit".  These optiions are not in Privacy or Websites that I can find.  I'm down to trying to log what Evernote web clipper login is trying to load and whitelisting those individually unless there are idea from other High Sierra users.  

(Of course I notice this issue less than a week after premium renewal!)  ; )

 

1 hour ago, Joshua Ochs said:

Some serious thread necromancy, but since it's been hijacked for this new issue...

Seeing the same thing on two systems running MacOS 10.12.6 and Safari 11, with the latest Evernote Web Clipper. Reinstalling does not help, logging in again does not help, and "Privacy > Cookies and Web Data" is set to "Allow from websites I visit". However, I do know that Apple significantly tightened what "visit" means, so if you're relying on that functionality to make the extension work, then you're probably out of luck. I'm certainly not going to allow everyone to track me so you can make your toolbar button work.

Hi All, sounds like you've actually encountered a newer issue we identified today. More information in my post here: 

 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

Hi! 

I have the same issue as described here... Safari freezes when you search in Google and you have the option "open in new window" activated in your Google options. Seems that the issue is related to java script. For some reason I really don't know, evernote extension meses up the java script. If you deactivate java script things work. Or if for example instead of let the option for open in new window do its job and you open in new tap manually (whether you do with right click or with command key + left click) things work fine. 

I've been struggling with this issue for long time (perhaps the last 5 months or so). In the beginning I just clean caches and cookies and seemed to work. However, now I just uninstall evernote extension and reinstall it and that's it. 

Guys from evernote, please fix these issues... this one and the other one with linkedin ... This one is specially annoying. 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

I have the same issue (safari beachballing) and also tracked it down to the web clipper. Looks like it happens on sites which redirect (maybe more then one redirect). 

Examples are twitter shortlinks via t.co and aws web console logins. Disabled clipper, no "crash". 

It would be good it there could be an option to blacklist sites in some kind of plugin configuration similar to ghostery. 

Maybe a debug option is also helpful for more advanced users.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Basically this gets worse every day now. Starts to beachball on article clipping etc. Currently i have the clipper disabled and the workflow now is:

Reenable it, reload page, try to clip, pray that it does not crash. If clipped disable again. This is far from a good user experience. 

If i consider the behaviour of the evernote editor, which has some own issues on formatting i think i have to reconsider my subscription. 

Link to post
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I lost track of the Safari Saga a while ago - so many updates of the Mac App and the Clipper that I thought this had been resolved...  I'd suggest you raise this with Support - https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  If they don't know there's still an issue,  they won't be working on a fix. 

I'm not a Safari user but there are other Mac / Safari types around here - until they comment,  have you tried using another browser to clip to your account?  Or maybe saving to Pocket (or another website reader service) and clipping from there?

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I have suffered from the same issue for a bout 6 months

macOS 10.13.3 

web clipper 6.13.2

Safari 11.0.3 (13604.5.6)

The extension almost crashes Safari every time I open a new page from google search results.

When I stop use web clipper, everything goes back fine, again.

It would be kind of you to provide me some suggestion.

Link to post
On 2/9/2018 at 3:06 AM, VonSong said:

It would be kind of you to provide me some suggestion.

What seems to help for me is deleting web site data in safari. At least it works for some time then. But not for long. I suspect the stored data is too big and it takes too long to process.

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...