Additional "numbered" list style types: alpha, roman, etc

Dave Land

Idea

I know that Evernote is neither a word processor nor a Web development tool, but it is based on a variant of HTML (ENML), and I know that by editing the ENML, it is possible to create ordered lists that look like this:

2017-09-07_21-33-49.png.8fc2434962e91163f8e8512c17b25d74.png

Please make this possible in Evernote on Mac. And Windows, while you're at it: my Windows-loving friends deserve love, too.

Thanks

PS: I will not be holding my breath for this feature. If I did, I would have been dead many years ago waiting for highlighting in different colors then yellow.

Edited by Dave Land
Added snarky comment about Evernote's glacial response to feature requests.
  • Like 5

8 replies to this idea

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

As a work-around, users have the option of switching out to a dedicated word processing app and adding the document as an attachment    to the note

I find the Evernote editor adequate for simple notes, but for serious work I switch to dedicated editor apps

I've done that, but I have also been known to edit the ENML directly, using the amazing Evernote HTML Editor greasemonkey script from https://andrealazzarotto.com/2015/03/30/modificare-lhtml-delle-note-in-evernote-web/. It's not especially convenient to be forced to use a completely different editor because Evernote can't be arsed to improve theirs. I'd much prefer to right-click and choose the list style type. Even WYSIWYG web editors (notably CKEditor) support this.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, ETep0715 said:

I've always wondered why the numbered list function in the app doesn't seem to allow for sub-notes/sub-tasks?

I merged your post with an existing request discussion  
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

I agree the Evernote list numbering options are quite basic     

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I’ve moved the discussion to the General Forum so it’s a cross platform request

To indicate your support for this request; use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

For those interested in the Evernote format (enml), there’s documentation at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Dave Land said:

Thanks for moving it to the General forum.
I would vote for it, but I wrote it, so the forum won't let me :-).

You can vote on any of the existing requests for the same functionality...

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Dave Land said:

I know that Evernote is neither a word processor nor a Web development tool, but it is based on a variant of HTML (ENML), and I know that by editing the ENML, it is possible to create ordered lists that look like this:...

As a work-around, users have the option of switching out to a dedicated word processing app and adding the document as an attachment    to the note

I find the Evernote editor adequate for simple notes, but for serious work I switch to dedicated editor apps

Hi, I've always wondered why the numbered list function in the app doesn't seem to allow for sub-notes/sub-tasks? I've never seen a list that uses a 1. for the subtask as well.

1. Here is an example
    1. subtask

Apparently this text editor does it the same as evernote. What I would expect from a numbered list would be that subtasks would be noted by something different than just reusing the original number or bullet.

If I'm not describing it right, I've attached two screenshots from Word, which is how I've always seen tasks/subtasks done.

Am I not understanding?

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 5.57.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 5.59.40 PM.png