Some GTD questions from a newbie

KW_S

1. Why use symbols at the front of notebook or tag names? At first I assumed this was to keep the main notebooks at the top of the list but then I realized that shortcuts can be made and ordered however you want.
  2. Are notebook stacks just cosmetic? example: Action/Next/  the "Next" notebook doesn't function any differently just because its part of the "Action" stack does it?
  3.  What are the various views on keeping next actions for projects along with support info in the same note? GTD suggests keeping things simple is important and it seems to me that having lots of supporting info in a note somewhere else that I have to check from time to time might be more complex. On the other hand, sometimes have a ton of info in your face when you go to to tackle a next action might be too overwhelming when all you need to know is what's next. Just looking for input from some users that have tried the various methods.

Many thanks for your input!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, KW_S said:

Why use symbols at the front of notebook or tag names? At first I assumed this was to keep the main notebooks at the top of the list but then I realized that shortcuts can be made and ordered however you want.

I have minimal Notebooks;  I use Tags for organization and reminder dates for task priortization

I prefix my tagnames with symbols.  This is simply a method of classification ?Who !What @Where .When

I know the GTD process proposed by TSW (The Secret Weapon) advocates notes sorted by tagname, requiring the tagnames be prefixed with 1 2 3 4 5

fwiw  I  prefix my project note titles with symbols.  This ensures the project notes display in the sequence I require for my project reviews

• -Project Master Note
  • ++Next Action Tasks
  • +Other Tasks
  • .Scheduled Tasks
  • Miscellaneous Notes
  • ΩCompleted Tasks

>>Are notebook stacks just cosmetic? example: Action/Next/  the "Next" notebook doesn't function any differently just because its part of the "Action" stack does it?

Mostly cosmetic, although you can search for notes in a stack     stack:aaaaaa

>> What are the various views on keeping next actions for projects along with support info in the same note?

I have a project master note, but I keep all my tasks as separate notes.  

This allows me to produce different views; Project View, Current Task List, Upcoming Task List, Completed Task List ...

• Level 5*
  1. For tags a prefix helps when selecting tags in the tag picker or when adding tags to a note.    ScreenClip.png.7d265b2e493375c2033d43fe184d7f61.png
  2. Notebook stacks help create a context for searches by grouping notes.  I use tags as opposed to notebooks, personal preference.
  3. Unless it's a tome, makes sense to me to include the important data in the task note.  One task per note for sure.
  • Level 5*

I think it's wrong to assume there's a GTD template which can be applied to all individuals and all tasks.  The degree to which you need GTD systems depends a great deal on the type of activities with which you're involved.  My prime takeaways from the original material are

1. use the GTD elements that are appropriate to your needs:  don't make things more complicated than they should be.
  2. get everything out of your head and onto paper (or the electronic medium of your choice)
  3. grade things by priority
  4. track progress

My personal view has been:  start really simple and add extra bells and whistles only when and if necessary.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

My prime takeaways from the original material are

1. use the GTD elements that are appropriate to your needs:  don't make things more complicated than they should be.
  2. get everything out of your head and onto paper (or the electronic medium of your choice)
  3. grade things by priority
  4. track progress

Connected with #3 Priority, my takeaway was to focus your attention; Next Action, instead of your entire task list

There was also stuff about context which I never used

Archived