How to create notes under stacks with the same name

Lawrence25

So for university I have multiple modules. 

I have created a seperate notebook for each module and created them as a stack. This is how I would like it to look

Module Name (Stack)

To Do List

Essential Reading

Module Name 2 (Stack)

To Do List

Essential Reading.

Problem is that I can't have two notebooks of the same name. Is there any workaround other than putting a number after each one which looks messy.

Thanks in advance

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Lawrence25 said:

Problem is that I can't have two notebooks of the same name. Is there any workaround other than putting a number after each one which looks messy.

There is no workaround for this, for notebooks in a single account. Notebook names in an account must be unique.

One approach that would work: maintain separate notebooks for each module, and tag notes that are to items with a 'Todo' tag, and notes that contain essential reading with an 'Essential Reading' tag.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Lawrence25 said:

My vote is for generic tags “To Do List”, “Essential Reading”

You could also also prefix your names, like “Module Name (Stack) To Do List”

1 hour ago, jefito said:

There is no workaround for this, for notebooks in a single account. Notebook names in an account must be unique.

One approach that would work: maintain separate notebooks for each module, and tag notes that are to items with a 'Todo' tag, and notes that contain essential reading with an 'Essential Reading' tag.

But wouldn't that then show all essential reading for all modules? The reading is unique to the module. 

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My vote is for generic tags “To Do List”, “Essential Reading”

You could also also prefix your names, like “Module Name (Stack) To Do List”

That is a good possibility actually thank you. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Lawrence25 said:

But wouldn't that then show all essential reading for all modules? The reading is unique to the module. 

Not if you do the tag search with context limited to one notebook (module) as opposed to All Notes.  Then you will only get notes from that notebook that have the tag.

If you used one notebook you could add a tag for module to each note and when you do a tag:module tag:todo search you would find all todos for that module.  Or do a tag:todo search to get todo's across all modules, sometimes a beneficial search.  Different perspective.  YMMV.

7 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not if you do the tag search with context limited to one notebook (module) as opposed to All Notes.  Then you will only get notes from that notebook that have the tag.

If you used one notebook you could add a tag for module to each note and when you do a tag:module tag:todo search you would find all todos for that module.  Or do a tag:todo search to get todo's across all modules, sometimes a beneficial search.  Different perspective.  YMMV.

I tried this out a little bit after I posted this and I am quite happy with it. It works great on the iPad and computer but on my Samsung it's not as good. 

With the iPad and computer your can just filter tags but on android you have to search and it shows all your previous searches in there which includes searches from other notebooks. Not the end of the world but ashame.

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

Can you create a saved search on the Samsung by module and enhance the search from there.  Don't know how the Samsung works.

It applies to all notebooks which means it's visible on whicever notebook you are on. It's not a huge deal as I know the difference between each notebook so I know which is which.

Archived