Update brings undesirable Cmd-Tab behavior on Mac OS X

hatomie

Idea

Until I recently updated Evernote on Mac OS X, pressing Alt-Tab from another application would bring me back to the last Evernote window I was working in, whether it was an individual note window or the main Evernote window.

Now, pressing Alt-Tab automatically displays the main Evernote window, regardless of whether I had previously been working in that window.

This is ridiculous and unproductive because it now forces users to use two sets of keystrokes to return to the specific note they are looking at. This is regressive.

If this is not a bug, I strongly suggest the design team consider returning the application to the original behavior.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5
4 hours ago, hatomie said:

Until I recently updated Evernote on Mac OS X, pressing Alt-Tab from another application would bring me back to the last Evernote window I was working in, whether it was an individual note window or the main Evernote window.

Now, pressing Alt-Tab automatically displays the main Evernote window, regardless of whether I had previously been working in that window.

I assume you mean command-tab.

What OS and Evernote versions are you seeing this in? I just checked with 6.12.1 on 10.12.6 and I see the behaviour you describe as desirable. i.e. When I switch to Evernote using Cmd-tab, whatever window last had focus still does.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:48 PM, Adjusting said:

I assume you mean command-tab.

What OS and Evernote versions are you seeing this in? I just checked with 6.12.1 on 10.12.6 and I see the behaviour you describe as desirable. i.e. When I switch to Evernote using Cmd-tab, whatever window last had focus still does.

Yes, I'm sorry, I meant Cmd-Tab, not Alt-Tab.

I am using Version 6.12.1 (455454 App Store) on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

The behavior I am seeing is not as you describe, i.e., whatever window last had focus still does. For me, it is automatically the main Evernote window, all the time.

I can confirm this as well it is incredibly frustrating and slowing me down.

OSX 10.11.6

Evernote Version 6.12.1 (455453 Direct)

PLEASE Resolve this!!!!!

If you are working in another app and fats switch back to Evernote it returns you to the main Evernote window. NOT the last Evernote window you had open. IE I open a note to work on it in its own window, go to another app ie chrome then switch back it does not return to the original Evernote "Note" window but the main Evernote window, meaning that I have to then mouse back to the window I actually need.

On 9/15/2017 at 2:43 AM, ohiggins said:

I can confirm this as well it is incredibly frustrating and slowing me down.

OSX 10.11.6

Evernote Version 6.12.1 (455453 Direct)

PLEASE Resolve this!!!!!

If you are working in another app and fats switch back to Evernote it returns you to the main Evernote window. NOT the last Evernote window you had open. IE I open a note to work on it in its own window, go to another app ie chrome then switch back it does not return to the original Evernote "Note" window but the main Evernote window, meaning that I have to then mouse back to the window I actually need.

Exactly! It's frustrating and dramatically slows down one's work. Terrible, terrible behavior. The opposite of what you want an update to do.

I've contacted support about this issue. The thing is, on El Capitan I don't have the cmd-tab issue by default but have it with a third-party app augmenting the OSX cmd-tab interface. And support said it won't be fixed since the software is marked as 'beta,' never mind that not one other application had this problem in the last three years.

Here's a helpful message from support:

If you are trying to find a way to switch windows on your Mac device, please follow the steps below as workaround.

Press tab + command on your Mac keyboard to switch windows on your Mac device.

Same here! This now happens on both Mac OSX and windows 10. It's driving me nuts.

In a recent update, probably a month or so ago, it also now seems to select the main window of evernote when it syncs. So I'll be in the middle of typing a note, it auto syncs in the middle of my typing, and stops me from typing! It seems to just select evernote as a whole application instead of staying within my note and allowing me to type.

Both issues have really slowed down my productivity with the tool as I constantly have to click to select where I was to continue typing.

Archived