Can't set default font size (to 10). Evernote keeps reverting to 9.

There is an annoying bug on Evernote for Windows (I have not tested this in other platforms) that has been around for over a year now I believe. 

If I try to set my default font size to 10 (under options->note font), Evernote will keep reverting to size 9. Oddly enough, if I set it to 11, or 12, or apparently any other, this issue does not occur.

Please, someone have a look at this and fix it, as font size 9 is too small for me, and 11 is a bit too big, so I've been living with the annoyance of manually changing the font size to 10 for a long time now.

• Level 5*

My default note font size is 10 (Tahoma), in 6.7.4. Works for me... ?!?

If you're really having problems with this and don't want to wait, try completely shutting down Evernote by right-clicking on the Evernote icon in the Windows notification tray, and selecting Quit Evernote. Open the registry editor and navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Evernote\Evernote and look for the value labelled "NoteFontSize". If it's not 10, then edit it.

Having the same problem on 6.7.4.5741. Set my default font to Calibri, size 11, about 10 days ago. For the first week the font window insisted on showing Segoe Size 10. I finally managed to trick it into show the correct information in the menu bar. When I'm typing, the system will randomly revert to size 10 in the middle of a line or sentence. It's obvious the font size has changed, but the system still shows size 11 in the menu bar. I have to select all text and manually select 11 and the text in the wrong size will switch back. A few minutes later I have to repeat the process.

Updated to 6.7.5 today and also checked the value of key NoteFontSize under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Evernote\Evernote, and it was set to 10.

The problem still persists. I am attaching a screenshot.

How such a basic thing as font size can't work properly in a note-taking software is beyond me.

evernote-scnshot.png

So my issue is a little different then. My toolbar states the correct size, but the font is not sticking to that size. Even if I click in text that's the wrong size, Evernote tells me it's size 11. If I then select all and change the font size to 11, it magically bumps up to the correct size.

Screenshot. Problem starts at line 5 "I'm armed...

You can see the font size has changed, but the toolbar still shows the size 11 I've told the system to use. Selecting all text and telling Evernote to use size 11 corrects the problem with any existing text, but doesn't fix the issue.

image.thumb.png.38c1f1a19f23b380815d87ece53a0a30.png

Same thing has been happening to me. 

Evernote Version: 6.7.5.5825 (305825) Public (CE Build ce-1.28.2184)

Options > Note > Note Font: Arial; 10

New Note has Arial; 9

Registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Evernote\Evernote > NoteFontSize = 10

sc_20170925-072218.thumb.png.f95de84ef258ddfb2d698a0e5885db91.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. For me the default note font size setting is 10, but a new note always opens in font size 9. If I manually set the font size to 10 before typing it will stay 10 for that note, but all my old notes add new text in font size 9 (same as @MRodriguez shows in his picture).

I have been a paying customer but this bug has finally "motivated" me to move my notes to a different service :angry:.

It started a few months ago and has only got worse recently. Not only is it impossible to set a fixed font size in the Windows application, but there is also no consistency between Windows and Android. Even if I set one size for the whole note in Windows, the exact same note is displayed in two different sizes in Android (???). I am not sure what is going on, but I am simply unable to use the service any more as I have been wasting more time on fixing the font sizes than on actually managing my content.

I agree. One year ago they broke the application to force free customers to pay. At the time they promised great new features. Haven't seen any great new features. The greatest feature would be finally getting fonts to work. Font problems have been an issue forever. This is just a new variation. It's really pathetic.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, MRodriguez said:

I agree. One year ago they broke the application to force free customers to pay.

What broke one year ago?

afaik  The Basic Account level is still free, and there is  no charge for the client software

Basic is still free for two devices. I had been and still require three. I ponied up the cash unlike many others who jumped ship. One year later and I still can't even get basic functions like fonts to work properly. This particular error was reported 6 weeks ago and it seems no one gives a damn since there hasn't been any kind of response from anyone official. Not even a "we're working on it."

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MRodriguez said:

One year ago they broke the application to force free customers to pay.

57 minutes ago, MRodriguez said:

Basic is still free for two devices. I had been and still require three.

Got it.  June 2016, Basic Account restricted to two simultaneous devices; web access not counted

I figured out what was causing this Evernote font problem for me…

I’m running Windows 10 Pro and have the problem noted at the beginning of this post (if I try to set my default font size to Tahoma 10 (under options->note font), Evernote will keep reverting to size 9).

FYI, the reg key "NoteFontSize" doesn’t exist if you are using the Windows Store app, that had me stumped for a while but I uninstalled that and installed the “normal” Evernote app. I then found and checked the key and it was set correctly (Tahoma 10 pt) but the problem still existed.

I then decided to check my Windows Display settings as I’ve seen those cause font problems with some apps. I have multiple monitors, one is on the small size and at 1080p the fonts/apps are a bit too small for me so my Windows Display settings are set to “Change the size of text, apps, and other items” to 125%. I changed this to 100% and the Evernote problem is gone. But I can’t keep things that way so I went back to 125% and in Evernote have set my default font to Caliber 11 pt (the Display settings only cause problems for some fonts, not others, so it’s a matter of finding one that works for you). I like that font and Evernote seems happy with it as well.

Hoping this info may help others and the Evernote team get to the root cause of the problem.

2 hours ago, Kimball said:

I figured out what was causing this Evernote font problem for me…

I’m running Windows 10 Pro and have the problem noted at the beginning of this post (if I try to set my default font size to Tahoma 10 (under options->note font), Evernote will keep reverting to size 9).

FYI, the reg key "NoteFontSize" doesn’t exist if you are using the Windows Store app, that had me stumped for a while but I uninstalled that and installed the “normal” Evernote app. I then found and checked the key and it was set correctly (Tahoma 10 pt) but the problem still existed.

I then decided to check my Windows Display settings as I’ve seen those cause font problems with some apps. I have multiple monitors, one is on the small size and at 1080p the fonts/apps are a bit too small for me so my Windows Display settings are set to “Change the size of text, apps, and other items” to 125%. I changed this to 100% and the Evernote problem is gone. But I can’t keep things that way so I went back to 125% and in Evernote have set my default font to Caliber 11 pt (the Display settings only cause problems for some fonts, not others, so it’s a matter of finding one that works for you). I like that font and Evernote seems happy with it as well.

Hoping this info may help others and the Evernote team get to the root cause of the problem.

Thanks, Kimball! I checked my Windows settings, and I also had the 125% option selected. I did the same thing that you did (changed Evernote's default font to Calibri 11), and I am not seeing the issue anymore either. Thanks again!

• Ex Employees
Just now, Aisha_Aslam said:

There have been an increasing number of complaints ( via Directly) on the font reverting back to a size 9. Nothing seems to be helping. Could someone @Austin G please respond here so we know if there's a fix on the way. Thanks

Yes. I've seen the increase too. We're having issues reproducing this issue 100%, but hoping to get it fixed by the 6.8 GA. 

I understand that, although the problem was reported almost 2 months ago, unfortunately, there is no solution yet. It is very frustrating to see that Evernote continuously reverting to font size 9. I also noticed that in text copy-paste operations, Evernote always pastes in font size 9, irrespective of the font type and size of the source.

Saying "... hoping to get it fixed by the 6.8 GA" after 1.5 months doesn't help. Unfortunately, Evernote has been too slow to fix this flaw. 

I'm having the same problem, and am working directly with Evernote Support to find the root cause.

As others have mentioned, you can change your default font size to 9 or 11 in Evernote to avoid this problem. To do this, go to Tools -> Options -> Note and select a font size other than 10.

Update: I confirmed that I'm having the same problem Kimball describes in the next comment. I've passed this along to Evernote Support.

FYI, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, for me the causal factor was Windows Display settings - my Windows Display settings are set to “Change the size of text, apps, and other items” to 125%. If I change this to 100% the Evernote problem goes away.

@Kimball - Thanks! I had seen that comment in your earlier post, but completely forgot that my own Windows Display settings were also set to 125% magnification for "text, apps, and other items". With your re-emphasizing that point, I went back and checked my settings, and I confirmed that this problem goes away for me, too, when I switch to 100%.

I've passed this along to Evernote Support. Obviously, this is not the desired behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.10.2017 at 9:03 PM, Austin G said:

Your post was timely. I was reviewing this thread as you posted. Thanks for your patience as we work on a fix. 

As an Evernote Premium user I'm getting increasingly frustrated by your inabality to provide a fix for this widespread bug that keeps messing with my notes. It occurs on every Win7 computer we're running evernote on yet you guys are having trouble reproducing the issue?

After over a month my patience is coming to an end, how long does it take you to offer a solution? (Reverting back to 100% display scale is not a solution since it makes the GUI of other software too small!)

Luckily for you there's no real alternative for Evernote available, otherwise I'd already be gone!!

• 4 weeks later...

This is definitely a bug that still exists in the most current version (6.7.5.5825).  I have done several clean installs of Windows and then just Evernote - it is a bug that needs to be fixed asap.

• Level 5
On 11/13/2017 at 10:03 AM, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

As an Evernote Premium user I'm getting increasingly frustrated by your inabality to provide a fix for this widespread bug that keeps messing with my notes. It occurs on every Win7 computer we're running evernote on yet you guys are having trouble reproducing the issue?

After over a month my patience is coming to an end, how long does it take you to offer a solution? (Reverting back to 100% display scale is not a solution since it makes the GUI of other software too small!)

Luckily for you there's no real alternative for Evernote available, otherwise I'd already be gone!!

Welcome to the forums. We are primarily other users here; Evernote staff check in sometimes, but it's not a direct line to them. Since you're a Premium user, you can contact support directly about this.

One thing, which I hesitate to suggest, might be to revert to a previous version of the Evernote software, if this is something that has developed with a recent update. On my Windows 7 computer, there is a folder C:\Users\{My_Username}\Evernote\AutoUpdate, which has the downloaded installers of some previous updates. Possibly installing one of those over your current version might revert away from the problem; but I don't know that for sure, and don't know how far back you'd need to go.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, yasab60 said:

After the recent upgrade in Evernote for Windows, this problem seems to be resolved. However, the same problem persists in the Evernote for Android. I wonder if there is a solution to this problem.

What is that problem in the Android app? AFAIK, there's no way to set the font size at all in that! (Though it has been requested: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/108418-change-font-size-and-formatting-on-android/.)

• Level 5
19 hours ago, MRodriguez said:

The problem carries over from the Windows app. I have different sized lines of text in my groceries note (because it was screwed up on Windows) that appear in my Android app. 

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. These kinds of formatting problems are why I haven't updated to any of the more recent versions of Evernote for Windows, so I also appreciate the information!

ok, with Version 6.8.7.6387 the front size bug got fixed.

However, some new bugs surfaced, the most nasty one that horizontal lines don't work anymore. Trying to insert them just gives you blank space and a weird cursor position. I cannot duplicate existing horizontal lines anymore, they vanish into thin air when I try to copy them, arggggghhh...

I thought that this is an official evernote forum and thus at least one of the hundreds of evernote employees is checking in regularily

EVERNOTE - FIX THE HORIZONTAL LINES DAMN IT!!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

I thought that this is an official evernote forum and thus at least one of the hundreds of evernote employees is checking in regularily

What makes you think that they're not? 

I see horizontal rule insertion working fine, at least in the most recent beta (6.9.2.6423). I can't say that I've every tried to move one, they seem to move if you copy/cut and paste  and there's some normal text on either side of your selection, but if not then they sorta disappear.

Archived