Jump to content

Exporting and Parsing evernote titles


Recommended Posts

Hi, I keep thousands of guitar chords and lyrics for songs on evernote. I am starting to stream covers and i want to share the list of songs that i can play with viewers.  I have three questions about this, Could you please help?

 

1. Is there any way that i can quickly export the names of many notes in evernote to a txt, doc, spreadsheet, or something like that? I just want something would make it easy for viewers to see the titles of all the songs.  All of the chord/lyric notes can be seen in evernote by searching "guitar chords". Usually i access the notes by searching "guitar chords", but i could put them all in a certain notebook or tag if it makes it easier.

 

2.  If this is possible, Is there any way to auto-parse out repeated  and unwanted data? For example, some of the notes say things in the title like "guitar chords from ultimate guitar.com". Is there a way to just make it include the title and the artist of the song?

 

3. If this is possible, is there any way to have this done automatically (so that new songs added to my evernote will also show up in the list that viewers can see)?

 

Thanks, Dan

Link to post
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, danklim said:

Is there any way that i can quickly export the names of many notes in evernote to a txt, doc, spreadsheet, or something like that?

It's not an Evernote feature but there are different options depending on the platform

Win/Mac users have access to the database and can use sql tools
Mac users have scripting tools

Link to post
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, danklim said:

Hi, I keep thousands of guitar chords and lyrics for songs on evernote. I am starting to stream covers and i want to share the list of songs that i can play with viewers.  I have three questions about this, Could you please help?

 

1. Is there any way that i can quickly export the names of many notes in evernote to a txt, doc, spreadsheet, or something like that? I just want something would make it easy for viewers to see the titles of all the songs.  All of the chord/lyric notes can be seen in evernote by searching "guitar chords". Usually i access the notes by searching "guitar chords", but i could put them all in a certain notebook or tag if it makes it easier.

 

2.  If this is possible, Is there any way to auto-parse out repeated  and unwanted data? For example, some of the notes say things in the title like "guitar chords from ultimate guitar.com". Is there a way to just make it include the title and the artist of the song?

 

3. If this is possible, is there any way to have this done automatically (so that new songs added to my evernote will also show up in the list that viewers can see)?

 

Thanks, Dan

  1. You can do this with minimal Excel skills on Windows.  Have the notes of interest in one of the list view. Select a note in the list, Ctrl-A followed by Ctrl-C to copy the columns to the clipboard, open Excel, and paste match destination format.  
  2. You can then parse the title using the Excel functions.  
  3. You have to recreate the list each time.
Link to post
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, danklim said:

1. Is there any way that i can quickly export the names of many notes in evernote to a txt, doc, spreadsheet, or something like that? I just want something would make it easy for viewers to see the titles of all the songs.

In the Windows client (may work for the Mac as well), you would make a "Table of Contents" note: 

  • Select the notes you are interested in
  • In the multi-selection panel that appears when you have nore than one note selected, click on "Create Table of Contents Note"

This creates a note containing the titles of your selected notes, one per line, and each of which is a note link to the associated note.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Thanks for the help everybody!

 

On 8/30/2017 at 10:53 AM, DTLow said:

Mac users have scripting tools

 

I use a mac, what are the best Mac scripting tools for this? I've used Applescript a bit and Keyboard Maestro, but have no idea how i would do this (or if these are the right tools for the job). Do you (or anybody) know how to do this? Or where there are any resources that could help me figure this out?

 

On 8/30/2017 at 11:50 AM, csihilling said:
  1. You can do this with minimal Excel skills on Windows.  Have the notes of interest in one of the list view. Select a note in the list, Ctrl-A followed by Ctrl-C to copy the columns to the clipboard, open Excel, and paste match destination format.  
  2. You can then parse the title using the Excel functions.  
  3. You have to recreate the list each time.

On a mac, this doesnt seem to work. When i select the note(s) in list view, the copy command does not work. It seems that it doesn't copy the note title this way. Unless i'm missing something?

 

On 8/30/2017 at 1:29 PM, jefito said:

In the Windows client (may work for the Mac as well), you would make a "Table of Contents" note: 

  • Select the notes you are interested in
  • In the multi-selection panel that appears when you have nore than one note selected, click on "Create Table of Contents Note"

This creates a note containing the titles of your selected notes, one per line, and each of which is a note link to the associated note.

 

 I just tried this and it works well, the only problem is that it requires me to add new notes to the table of contents manually (and it also requires me to parse the title information manually, which isn't that big of a deal but adds alot of repetitive labor). Would be much better if this could be automated, but this the manual method is good as a backup plan. 

Is there any way to automate this table of contents note?  Perhaps I could create the table of contents note for the notebook that the notes are in, so that all new notes added to the notebook will be added to the table of contents automatically?
 

 

Also, I just tried using the export function with a group of notes and it allows me to export the notes to a folder where each note is an html file. This might also be helpful part of the solution, it maintains the titles and gets it out of evernote. Anybody have any ideas if/how this could be used to accomplish what i'm looking to do?

 

 

 

Link to post
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, danklim said:

I use a mac, what are the best Mac scripting tools for this?

Applescript documentation at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php

I have Applescripts for copying note titles to a spreadsheet or text file

Here's my Applescript for parsing and adjusting note titles

tell application "Evernote"     
set theSelection to get selection     
repeat with theNote in theSelection         
     set theTitle to title of theNote         
     if text 1 thru 10 of theTitle = "Journal - " then             
          set thedate to modification date of theNote             
          set theTitle to text 10 thru 20 of theTitle & " -Journal " & text 21 thru -1 of theTitle             
          set title of theNote to theTitle             
          set modification date of theNote to thedate         
     end if     
end repeat

Link to post
  • Level 5*
54 minutes ago, danklim said:

Is there any way to automate this table of contents note?

My preference is to use saved searches instead of a static TOC.  You could rebuild the TOC nightly using a script

Here is my Applescript to build a TOC note

Select the notes for whatever criteria

tell application "Evernote" to set theNotes to find notes ("updated:day-1 -updated:day")

As you process the notes maintain a log
You could get clever with this and acually format a hyperlink

set scriptLog to scriptLog & return & "     " & title of theNote & " " & note link of theNote

At the end, generate a note

tell application "Evernote"         
     set note_Title to "Status: Evernote Metadata Script - " & yyyymmdd         
     set new_Note to (create note with text scriptLog title note_Title notebook "Filing?")         
     assign tag "!Archive" to new_Note         assign tag "!Status" to new_Note     
end tell

Link to post
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, danklim said:

On a mac, this doesnt seem to work. When i select the note(s) in list view, the copy command does not work. It seems that it doesn't copy the note title this way. Unless i'm missing something?

Will need a Mac user response here, but guess is the Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C to copy the list and its columns does not work on the Mac.  Sorry.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...