Evernote for Windows 6.7 Beta 2 Released

gbarry

Idea

Hey everyone! Apologies--we erroneously removed a beta thread yesterday and have been unable to retrieve the conversation. The core issue has been fixed but the thread remains in the dustbin.

Our regularly scheduled beta releases will continue as normal from @Chantal Leonard and company, but for now here is the download link for the latest posted beta. Please feel free to continue to leave your feedback on the release below.

71 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Austin G said:

This is a known issue we're looking into. Until this is resolved, please use Evernote for Windows Desktop 6.5.4 or Evernote Web. Thanks for your patience as we work on a resolution. 

This is a known issue confined to Windows 10? So the advice to use v6.5 applies only to Win 10 users?

• Ex Employees
23 hours ago, Hienning said:

I don't know what you changed, but EVERY VERSIONS since 6.5 were failed to sync on my windows 10. I thought it was some sort of network block in China but I was wrong, It happened again and again even sync over a proxy from japan. See some lines from the activity log:

00:57:08 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:09 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:26 [INFO   ] [33284] [53344] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/08/28 00:45:00
00:57:27 [INFO   ] [33284] [12688] Client synchronization started
00:57:27 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:27 [INFO   ] [33284] [41828] 0% Loaded updateCount: 34154
00:57:29 [ERROR  ] [33284] [50856] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
00:57:30 [ERROR  ] [33284] [41828] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
00:57:30 [INFO   ] [33284] [12688] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
00:57:30 [ERROR  ] [33284] [12688] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
00:57:30 [INFO   ] [33284] [12688] * elapsed time: 3s
00:57:30 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:31 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:33 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:34 [ERROR  ] [33284] [50856] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:00:24 [INFO   ] [33284] [53344] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/08/28 01:00:00
01:00:26 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)

I upgraded from v6.5 and had to downgrade to 6.5, and it worked without any error. What's wrong with those versions?

This is a known issue we're looking into. Until this is resolved, please use Evernote for Windows Desktop 6.5.4 or Evernote Web. Thanks for your patience as we work on a resolution. 

5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Another format issue.

Here is what a note looks like on the desktop version, basically a blank note.

Scree1nClip.png.3902f59293c15156d1f4cc94a0ac62ec.png

Here is what it looks like on the web, as one would expect.

ScreenClip.png.9fbf9e53174847dd5a08c54c318d50c7.png

Interesting in that if I export the note in HTML format and then import the contents are displayed.  ENEX does not work with an export/import.  Sending a copy of the ENEX to @Jason Miller

Thanks for sending the ENEX

• Level 5*

Another format issue.

Here is what a note looks like on the desktop version, basically a blank note.

Scree1nClip.png.3902f59293c15156d1f4cc94a0ac62ec.png

Here is what it looks like on the web, as one would expect.

ScreenClip.png.9fbf9e53174847dd5a08c54c318d50c7.png

Interesting in that if I export the note in HTML format and then import the contents are displayed.  ENEX does not work with an export/import.  Sending a copy of the ENEX to @Jason Miller

On 8/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, csihilling said:

Email forward format issue.

Forwarded an email to EN.  First image is view in mail client, second image is view in EN.  Boxes and color somehow added in the transition.

ScreenCl1i1p.png.2696654dac64fd9770b5bf9a9f3ee91f.png   ScreenClip.png.fabcabaa9a5f92be6f95b95d0e49f12b.png

Created a new bug for this (including the info you messaged with me) 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, csihilling said:

Forwarded an email to EN.  First image is view in mail client, second image is view in EN.  Boxes and color somehow added in the transition.

ScreenCl1i1p.png.2696654dac64fd9770b5bf9a9f3ee91f.png   ScreenClip.png.fabcabaa9a5f92be6f95b95d0e49f12b.png

Sorry about that, do you happen to have an note (with safe to share information) I can share with Dev so they can take a look at what is going on?

I don't know what you changed, but EVERY VERSIONS since 6.5 were failed to sync on my windows 10. I thought it was some sort of network block in China but I was wrong, It happened again and again even sync over a proxy from japan. See some lines from the activity log:

00:57:08 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:09 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:26 [INFO   ] [33284] [53344] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/08/28 00:45:00
00:57:27 [INFO   ] [33284] [12688] Client synchronization started
00:57:27 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:27 [INFO   ] [33284] [41828] 0% Loaded updateCount: 34154
00:57:29 [ERROR  ] [33284] [50856] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
00:57:30 [ERROR  ] [33284] [41828] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
00:57:30 [INFO   ] [33284] [12688] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
00:57:30 [ERROR  ] [33284] [12688] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
00:57:30 [INFO   ] [33284] [12688] * elapsed time: 3s
00:57:30 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:31 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:33 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)
00:57:34 [ERROR  ] [33284] [50856] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:00:24 [INFO   ] [33284] [53344] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/08/28 01:00:00
01:00:26 [INFO   ] [33284] [23128] GA: Failed to send event (error: The download of the specified resource has failed.)

I upgraded from v6.5 and had to downgrade to 6.5, and it worked without any error. What's wrong with those versions?

• Level 5*

On Windows, the percentages for zoom in the annotate Window for PDFs are messed up. Setting it to 200% gives 400%, which isn't on the menu. Fit Width doesn't work either. It also just shoots you to 400%. And zoom in/out are inconsistent. I was at 25% and zoomed out. It went 50% - 400% - 75% - 100% - 150% - 400%. Zoom in is just as messed up. Just press CTRL - or CTRL + a few times and cycle through it. Seems almost random, both the order and the percentages chosen.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*

Minor annoyance with checkboxes and bullet lists. TO reproduce:

• Create a new bulleted list (Ctrl+Shift+B)
  • Add a checkbox (Ctrl+Shift+C); now you have a checkbox on the first line of a one-item bullet list
  • Type some text: 'Bug 22412'
  • Go to the beginning of the line (Home); the cursor is now in front of the checkbox
  • Hit the Enter key. 
    • Expected result: a two-item bullet list with the first line being empty, and the second line containing a single checkbox at the beginning, with the cursor in front of the checkbox
    • Actual result: a two-item bullet list with the first line being empty, and the second line containing a two checkboxes at the beginning, with the cursor between the two checkboxes

The new checkbox should not be added.

18 hours ago, EdH said:

Here is a good way, at least on my machine, to render Evernote useless for editing.

1. Create new note
  2. Type a few things in a list.
  3. Add a PDF to the bottom of the file. 4-5 pages should be fine. I snipped these from a non-DRM protected ebook I own.
  4. Go back to top and keep adding notes.

At this point, step 4 becomes brutally slow with stops, stutters, pauses. I have my auto-save set to 180 seconds, but I am not getting much more than 10-15 seconds of good typing time before the UI freezes for a few seconds. I can either remove the PDF, or edit the thing on my phone or on the web, but not on my desktop version. It isn't my PC either. Surface Pro 4, i5, SSD, 16GB of RAM.

Thanks for the report and notes, created a new bug to track this and ran into similar behavior using your steps

• Level 5*

Here is a good way, at least on my machine, to render Evernote useless for editing.

1. Create new note
  2. Type a few things in a list.
  3. Add a PDF to the bottom of the file. 4-5 pages should be fine. I snipped these from a non-DRM protected ebook I own.
  4. Go back to top and keep adding notes.

At this point, step 4 becomes brutally slow with stops, stutters, pauses. I have my auto-save set to 180 seconds, but I am not getting much more than 10-15 seconds of good typing time before the UI freezes for a few seconds. I can either remove the PDF, or edit the thing on my phone or on the web, but not on my desktop version. It isn't my PC either. Surface Pro 4, i5, SSD, 16GB of RAM.

8 minutes ago, chirmer said:

I apologize profusely if this has been posted already, especially since I see reference to paste & match style throughout the thread...

When copy/pasting from GitHub, even as plain text, it renders the pasted code as belonging to a table (not EN table, but HTML table) and there's no way to get rid of it. Neither Simplify Formatting nor Remove Formatting work. I click "Upgrade Table" in the right-click menu and nothing happens. It's dead in the water. It normally wouldn't be so bad, but the paste butchers the indentation. This all happens inside a note's code block, too.

Attached images.

(EDIT: Didn't realize the forums don't show the file names. Adding now.)

GitHub code copied.

GitHub_code.png

Pasted plain-text into Evernote.

Evernote_plain_paste.png

Highlighted to show table underlay.

Evernote_highlight_shows_table.png

Does paste and match style help any?  (control+shift+v) and do you have the URL of the Github page you are pasting from so I can show Dev?

• Level 5*

I apologize profusely if this has been posted already, especially since I see reference to paste & match style throughout the thread...

When copy/pasting from GitHub, even as plain text, it renders the pasted code as belonging to a table (not EN table, but HTML table) and there's no way to get rid of it. Neither Simplify Formatting nor Remove Formatting work. I click "Upgrade Table" in the right-click menu and nothing happens. It's dead in the water. It normally wouldn't be so bad, but the paste butchers the indentation. This all happens inside a note's code block, too.

Attached images.

(EDIT: Didn't realize the forums don't show the file names. Adding now.)

GitHub code copied.

GitHub_code.png

Pasted plain-text into Evernote.

Evernote_plain_paste.png

Highlighted to show table underlay.

Evernote_highlight_shows_table.png

12 hours ago, jefito said:

Minor annoyance with checkboxes and bullet lists. TO reproduce:

• Create a new bulleted list (Ctrl+Shift+B)
  • Add a checkbox (Ctrl+Shift+C); now you have a checkbox on the first line of a one-item bullet list
  • Type some text: 'Bug 22412'
  • Go to the beginning of the line (Home); the cursor is now in front of the checkbox
  • Hit the Enter key. 
    • Expected result: a two-item bullet list with the first line being empty, and the second line containing a single checkbox at the beginning, with the cursor in front of the checkbox
    • Actual result: a two-item bullet list with the first line being empty, and the second line containing a two checkboxes at the beginning, with the cursor between the two checkboxes

The new checkbox should not be added.

Filed a new bug for this

On 8/29/2017 at 1:01 AM, Austin G said:

I'm very happy to know know you confirmed that issue. Can't wait for next version. Thnak you.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Shouldn't column formatting be automatic if I insert colums to the left/right? For example:

1. Create a 3x3 table
  2. Highlight first row (using the table select row bar on left)
  3. Change the background to dark gray
  4. bold the text and make it 16pt

Now I have a header row.

But when I insert a column, only the background gets carried over. The default font choice is used rather than my header style font.

Sorry, that is a known problem - I agree that the formatting should also be copied over. 

• Ex Employees
8 hours ago, tavor said:

This is a known issue confined to Windows 10? So the advice to use v6.5 applies only to Win 10 users?

Known issue related to  attempting to connect to our service from certain geographical regions. The client tries to connect to our separate Chinese service (app.yinxiang.com) when logging in with Evernote credentials. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Jason Miller said:

Yes, not sure if that causes you problems in the short term (the note is on my list to sanity check (again) as 6.8 gets closer to going out. To Confirm we didn't break it again. 

Nothing major.  Search returns the note you just can't see it at this point.  So contents available, display not.  I can wait.

5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

So if I leave the note be the content will reappear display in 6.8?  

Yes, not sure if that causes you problems in the short term (the note is on my list to sanity check (again) as 6.8 gets closer to going out. To Confirm we didn't break it again. 

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

So there is a fix for this (tested by me being able to via the note like in your example) the fix won't make the 6.7 Release due to additional testing going on, it will be in 6.8

So if I leave the note be the content will reappear display in 6.8?  

25 minutes ago, NoLife said:

Not sure if it is just me but when I try to add notes to business card it just goes back to the front automatically but does not happen all the time

2017-08-29_21-57-44.gif

Yes, a known bug and has been marked to be fixed sooner rather than later, however I don't have an ETA yet. 

7 hours ago, TYVM_23 said:

Having problem that when selecting Bold font in a table, and there are entries with Bold font already, the text that is already Bold, unBolds itself. 

Is it by design or bug? 

Bold setting - New table layout.gif

Sorry for the inconvenience - this is known problem 

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

OK I'm confused.  I had all these pages bookmarked from the day they were issued -

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/108411-evernote-for-mac-612-beta-3-released/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/107857-evernote-for-mac-612-beta-2-released/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/106852-evernote-for-mac-612-beta-1-released/

- and all seem to be fully present and accounted for in all their multi-page glory.  If I'm looking at a web cache somewhere,  can I copy anything for anyone?

Those are the Mac beta threads. The thread for the latest Windows beta is what the elephant forgot and apparently didn't back up.

• Level 5*

Bug report.

Not sure how long this has existed but if you change the auto save increment above 100 it doesn't seem to take (when you return to options it is still 100).  However, if you go to Regedit and view the value it has changed, see below.  Now the question is, which is accurate the 100 or the 300?  

Main reason for wanting to up the value is to keep things quiet when updating a note.

ScreenClip.png.1c130407f466598be038086d874585bb.png

Just now, jefito said:

No need to be embarrassed. There's no shame in posting here about bugs that you find in the appropriate Evernote Windows client version.

It's embarrassing that Evernote has these bugs when a version ago, it didn't.

That's a point, actually, maybe I should be looking into downgrading rather than dealing with this beta stuff...

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Tamaru said:

This is just embarrassing. Why is EN so buggy?

No need to be embarrassed. There's no shame in posting here about bugs that you find in the appropriate Evernote Windows client version.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Tamaru said:

No, I don't. I'm only interested in the beta program ATM because it's the fastest way of getting rid of flaws that were included in the most recent mainstream release.

This is a fair point. 6.6GA introduced some fairly significant bugs to preexisting features including (1) paste and match style, and (2) font size issues. For a lot of people, these create significant disruptions to workflow, so moving to betas to get a resolution starts to seem appealing.

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Are you sure you want to be in the beta testing program?

No, I don't. I'm only interested in the beta program ATM because it's the fastest way of getting rid of flaws that were included in the most recent mainstream release.

20 hours ago, tavor said:

I guess we'll re-post the issues. Font size has been an issue from v6.6GA and was still an issue in v6.7 beta 2:

Paste and match style was partially fixed between 6.7 beta 1 and beta 2, but some errors remain. My understanding is that additional fixes have been made in beta 3, so we'll have to see how it looks once beta 3 is released.

This is just embarrassing. Why is EN so buggy?

• Level 5*

OK I'm confused.  I had all these pages bookmarked from the day they were issued -

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/108411-evernote-for-mac-612-beta-3-released/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/107857-evernote-for-mac-612-beta-2-released/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/106852-evernote-for-mac-612-beta-1-released/

- and all seem to be fully present and accounted for in all their multi-page glory.  If I'm looking at a web cache somewhere,  can I copy anything for anyone?

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

... but it's missing the posts where EN offered free Premium until 2100 to all the beta testers... Didn't that get archived??

It is there. You just didn't scroll to the bottom.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, tavor said:

Ha! You archived the thread in Evernote. Brilliant! 

Well, I just turned on conversation view in Gmail, then opened the "thread" for the notifications for the deleted forum thread, then used the Gmail clipper to grab the whole thing into Evernote. :D

But the emails aren't reliable, and I know for a fact bugs I posted aren't in there as it doesn't notify me when I post, and I am not confident it always sends out notifications anyway, but what I have is there for reference. 

• Level 5*

There's an irony here that's so obvious I won't even say it... :) 

10 minutes ago, EdH said:

I am not sure what the core issue is, but there is a lot more than one issue in the thread

I'm guessing that "the core issue" refers to the forum software and not being able to retrieve the deleted topic, and they've fixed that. Or maybe they've fixed the person who did it...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gbarry said:

The core issue has been fixed

I am not sure what the core issue is, but there is a lot more than one issue in the thread, which is here. Well, everything except my posts since I don't get notified of them

• Level 5*

I guess we'll re-post the issues. Font size has been an issue from v6.6GA and was still an issue in v6.7 beta 2:

Paste and match style was partially fixed between 6.7 beta 1 and beta 2, but some errors remain. My understanding is that additional fixes have been made in beta 3, so we'll have to see how it looks once beta 3 is released.

6 hours ago, Tamaru said:

It's embarrassing that Evernote has these bugs when a version ago, it didn't.

That's a point, actually, maybe I should be looking into downgrading rather than dealing with this beta stuff...

It just so happen the bug du jour was also my main concern (Paste and Match style) otherwise I might never have noticed any issues.  So upon noticing the problem on 6.6 and 6.7, I went back to 6.5, since the issue is apparently related to the new editor introduced in 6.6.

Restoring a damaged database can be a pain, and one can't be sure of recovering everything (bad beta experience), so watching the discussion from the sidelines is probably safer.

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

To be sure I'm clear, in the instance above the effective value is 100 or 300.

300. (Until you bring up the options, change something else and ok that.)

The fix is checked in - it will be in the next beta. (hint: when initializing the control, make sure to set the range before setting the value. default max value is 100 - evidently I did the initial testing with smaller values)

• Level 5*

Shouldn't column formatting be automatic if I insert colums to the left/right? For example:

1. Create a 3x3 table
  2. Highlight first row (using the table select row bar on left)
  3. Change the background to dark gray
  4. bold the text and make it 16pt

Now I have a header row.

But when I insert a column, only the background gets carried over. The default font choice is used rather than my header style font.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, dconnet said:

It looks like this is an initialization bug. As the registry shows, the value is saved (max value is 3600). It looks like we forgot to set the initial value in the dialog. (Which means if you makes changes later, this will likely reset the time to 100)

To be sure I'm clear, in the instance above the effective value is 100 or 300.

5 hours ago, csihilling said:

Bug report.

Not sure how long this has existed but if you change the auto save increment above 100 it doesn't seem to take (when you return to options it is still 100).  However, if you go to Regedit and view the value it has changed, see below.  Now the question is, which is accurate the 100 or the 300?  

Main reason for wanting to up the value is to keep things quiet when updating a note.

It looks like this is an initialization bug. As the registry shows, the value is saved (max value is 3600). It looks like we forgot to set the initial value in the dialog. (Which means if you makes changes later, this will likely reset the time to 100)

On 8/23/2017 at 0:44 PM, tavor said:

FYI - we are still tracking this issue - not leaving at "the next beta will fix everything" :-) 

Just now, Don Dz said:

Actually, I was suggesting to downgrade to before the problem started (6.5), if you still have the previous downloads, they should still be online in any case.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood. I'll see if I can either find an installer online or have an old one still around. Thank you! :)

2 minutes ago, Tamaru said:

Ugh, that's a bit frustrating, but thanks for the heads up. Glad I didn't go ahead and just attempt to downgrade.

Actually, I was basically suggesting to downgrade to before the problem started (6.5), if you still have the previous downloads, they should still be online in any case.

8 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

It just so happen the bug du jour was also my main concern (Paste and Match style) otherwise I might never have noticed any issues.  So upon noticing the problem on 6.6 and 6.7, I went back to 6.5, since the issue is apparently related to the new editor introduced in 6.6.

Restoring a damaged database can be a pain, and one can't be sure of recovering everything (bad beta experience), so watching the discussion from the sidelines is probably safer.

Ugh, that's a bit frustrating, but thanks for the heads up. Glad I didn't go ahead and just attempt to downgrade.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, EdH said:

What I am saying is, I bet they did hardcode 100 seconds as the upper limit. At some point, Evernote has to protect the user from themself. Imagine this scenario:

• Working on a project, I am going to set the sync to every 1,800 seconds so it doesn't bother me.
  • Forget to change it back to something reasonable.
  • Work on 3-4 notes.
  • Log off or shut PC down/close lid on laptop.
  • Get home. None of the work on those 3-4 notes is sync'd to the cloud, and I don't have what I need/cannot get back to work to restart EN to sync it up until Monday.

Or Evernote crashes or Windows blue-screens.

The real solution is to FIX. THE. DATABASE. EVERNOTE. USES.

It is HORRIBLE on Windows. Enabling Demand Sync helps a lot but not entirely.

All true, but that’s all about generic syncing, which instant sync or a shorter window for auto sync or scan on exit addresses.

I think this setting is for local save of the note, which might or might not generate a note sync, just don’t know.  So once you exit the note the setting has no effect on that note.   But I could be wrong.  

So I’d just as soon not generate a sync every 100 seconds whilst editing a note if that is how it works.  

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, csihilling said:

That would be my hope, unless someone hardwired 100 into the code...  :(

What I am saying is, I bet they did hardcode 100 seconds as the upper limit. At some point, Evernote has to protect the user from themself. Imagine this scenario:

• Working on a project, I am going to set the sync to every 1,800 seconds so it doesn't bother me.
  • Forget to change it back to something reasonable.
  • Work on 3-4 notes.
  • Log off or shut PC down/close lid on laptop.
  • Get home. None of the work on those 3-4 notes is sync'd to the cloud, and I don't have what I need/cannot get back to work to restart EN to sync it up until Monday.

Or Evernote crashes or Windows blue-screens.

The real solution is to FIX. THE. DATABASE. EVERNOTE. USES.

It is HORRIBLE on Windows. Enabling Demand Sync helps a lot but not entirely.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, EdH said:

If I had to guess, I would say the bug is letting you increment it above 100 in the UI.

That would be my hope, unless someone hardwired 100 into the code...  :(

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Bug report.

If I had to guess, I would say the bug is letting you increment it above 100 in the UI.

Archived