Copying Evernote database to a new computer

I want to reinstall Evernote on a computer I used to have it on but deleted it from; I used CCleaner after the uninstall and don't believe there are any vestiges of the old install left. Rather than doing an initial Internet download synchronization of my multi-gigabyte database, I'd just like to copy the database from my main computer to the new computer, via a physical USB key transfer, and have Evernote on the new computer start off using that copied database in lieu of an initial sync (although, of course, I'll let it sync changes to the database after that).  Are there best practices for doing this?  Any tips before I undertake the process?  Many thanks!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

I'd just like to copy the database from my main computer to the new computer, via a physical USB key transfer, and have Evernote on the new computer start off using that copied database in lieu of an initial sync (although, of course, I'll let it sync changes to the database after that).

This is not a "best practice" but others have reported success with copying the .exb file to a new machine

A problem may be doing the initial install, Evernote will still build the database; so you still have the initial sync/download.  You can minimize this with the Demand Sync feature

• Level 5*

@RobertJSawyer

Obviously you have a backup on the USB, so protect that. Be sure and sync completely and log out of EN on the main computer before you create the backup.

If doing this I would

1. First put the EXB where you want it on the new computer.  
  2. When the splash panel comes up to log in go to, I think it is File - Options in the menu bar, and change the file location to where you just put the EXB.  
  3. Then log in.  
  4. Check your options to see if they are the same, adjust if need be (not sure they copy over - any registry type stuff).  
  5. Then add a few notes on the new, verify on the main, etc., to be sure it is working as it should.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I did this with a new laptop.  There's actually no conflict in practice,  and it was pretty pain-free.  The steps were:

• Sync your main device and File > Exit Evernote.
  • Copy the whole Databases folder onto USB
  • download and install Evernote on the 'new' machine - at this stage it's a basic install with no 'personality' at all.  It does have a Databases folder though... 
  • Exit the new app without logging in
  • Rename the installed database folder
  • Copy the original folder from USB to this location
  • restart the app and log in as usual.

Takes about 10 minutes. (Depending a little on the size of your file to be copied across....)

Good luck!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 8/18/2017 at 12:11 PM, gazumped said:

I did this with a new laptop.  There's actually no conflict in practice,  and it was pretty pain-free.  The steps were:

• Sync your main device and File > Exit Evernote.
  • Copy the whole Databases folder onto USB
  • download and install Evernote on the 'new' machine - at this stage it's a basic install with no 'personality' at all.  It does have a Databases folder though... 
  • Exit the new app without logging in
  • Rename the installed database folder
  • Copy the original folder from USB to this location
  • restart the app and log in as usual.

Takes about 10 minutes. (Depending a little on the size of your file to be copied across....)

Good luck!  ;)

Does anyone know if the process @gazumped outlined above has changed? I'm installing Legacy on a new PC and want to migrate my EN db there.

• Evernote Expert

Unless you have local notebooks there is no need to copy. Just install the software, login, and the data will be re-created.

Copying the data file isn't good practice and can lead to list our corrupted data although it used to work for some users.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Unless you have local notebooks there is no need to copy. Just install the software, login, and the data will be re-created.

Copying the data file isn't good practice and can lead to list our corrupted data although it used to work for some users.

I have local notebooks.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, tavor said:

Does anyone know if the process @gazumped outlined above has changed? I'm installing Legacy on a new PC and want to migrate my EN db there.

Several years later, and it still works. 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, tavor said:

I have local notebooks.

My original suggestion should (I think) be safe with Legacy local notebooks if you do the operation in one day,  but just to be sure - export your local notebooks to ENEX files before anything else,  then save them somewhere safe as a contingency backup.  Copy and move your databases folder as described,  reinstall Evernote and log out.  Copy your 'old' databases folder over the new version and log back in...

1 minute ago, tavor said:

Several years later, and it still works.

... OK!  The old ones are always the best...  :D