Pushing notebook as a template to 170 students...

I am a tech manager for a small school with about 170 students. I am working on a digital planner for them that I am creating in my Evernote account. Here is my basic question: I have to share this notebook (with literally hundreds of notes) to the entire student body to use as their own planner. At first I thought I would share the notebook with each of them, then explain to the students how to copy all the notes into another notebook that the student owns.

But there has to be a better way. Evernote publishes templates that individuals can add to their own notebooks and then populate, edit, or fill out as needed. I tried to publish my notebook, but when I opened the published link in another Evernote account that I own, the notes in the notebook were locked and I couldn't add them to a different notebook or otherwise edit them.

I have a Premium account, which is where I'm doing my basic testing and publishing/sharing, as well as a free account under another email address. So what am I missing?

Thanks,

Barbara

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, bdeclee said:

Here is my basic question: I have to share this notebook (with literally hundreds of notes) to the entire student body to use as their own planner. At first I thought I would share the notebook with each of them, then explain to the students how to copy all the notes into another notebook that the student owns.

Does it have to be a shared notebook?

An alternative would be a public url to a note.  The note would be a table of conents, public urls to the Notes you’re sharing

Hey DT - yeah, I think it has to be a notebook. It will be a digital planner. Each note will be one week of the school calendar, so there will be — what, 50 notes or so in the notebook. Each student will use the planner to input homework assignments in each daily block. So it's not collaborative -- that's the important part. 

Looks like this. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 2.17.09 PM.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  You mean like this?  Week Commencing: September 25

That's a public link to that note.  If you right click the note title in list view and go to Share / Copy Shareable Link you can use that URL to create links to each week.  Add all those links into another note,  and circulate that note's URL to all concerned,  and they'll all have access to all your notes to import to their accounts.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, bdeclee said:

If you check out this link:  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006007-Tools-Templates  you'll see that you can click on one of the templates and then there's a button that says "Save to Evernote."

That's what I want my kids to have access to. Exactly like that. Is it an Evernote for Business feature only? 

Does this differ than the process I outlined above?

- a url to a note
- the note contains links to other notes (templates)

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, bdeclee said:

If my students "join" the notebook, then it's collaborative. Is that correct? 

Not so much collaborative, unless you allow edit access
They do end up seeing the notebook and notes in their Evernote account (read only)
They can do a mass copy of these notes (templates) to their own notebook

You might try opening a second account and try different processes to see what works best for you

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sharing notebooks is a bit complicated.  If as we suggest you share a link like this - Weekly Schedules for the class of 2017-18 which is to a note containing links to all your schedules (and anything else you'd like to list),  wouldn't that be easier?

Not exactly. That would wind up being 40 or 50 links. All 170 students have to click all those links. And each link opens in a new window, with a button that says "Save to Evernote." Then the student has to click the notebook he or she wants to save the link to. 40 or 50 times. Again, for my students who have ADD, issues with Executive Function, etc. -- that's a nightmare. 

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not so much collaborative, unless you allow edit access
They do end up seeing the notebook and notes in their Evernote account

So if I give them edit access, will they be editing JUST their own note or will their edits appear in all the other shares? 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, bdeclee said:

So if I give them edit access, will they be editing JUST their own note or will their edits appear in all the other shares? 

I edited my post.  They can do a mass copy of the shared notes (templates) to their own notebook
You might try opening a second account and try different processes to see what works best for you

If you give them edit access to the shared notes, they will be editing your note and will appear in all the other shares

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, bdeclee said:

Not exactly. That would wind up being 40 or 50 links. All 170 students have to click all those links. And each link opens in a new window, with a button that says "Save to Evernote." Then the student has to click the notebook he or she wants to save the link to. 40 or 50 times. Again, for my students who have ADD, issues with Executive Function, etc. -- that's a nightmare. 

Hmmn.  OK,  maybe a notebook is an easier way to go...!

OK, I think what I might try is exporting my notebook (which will export all the notes) as an .enex file. I can email that file to all 170 kids. They can open Evernote and choose "Import Notes." Those come into a notebook called "Imported Notes" or something similar. Then all they have to do is rename the notebook. 

Whaddya think? 

Archived