How to advanced search with AND/OR logic at the same time?

Basically, I want search for notebook:"Cabinet" -tag:Trash* and ( (tag:Diary and tag:Fiction and -tag:Unfinished) or (tag:Notes and tag:Books) )

and save it as a saved search for everyday use. However, the last version of Evernote that BitQwik is compatible with is only 4.6.4.8136 or earlier.

So any possible maybe that I can do this kind of search in Evernote Windows v6.x?

Any user-made script or third-party-made tool outside evernote is also acceptable as long as helpful. Thanks.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, 河马啊 said:

Basically, I want search for notebook:"Cabinet" -tag:Trash* and ( (tag:Diary and tag:Fiction and -tag:Unfinished) or (tag:Notes and tag:Books) )

Evernote has never supported this type of search (combined Boolean And/Or search)

I have a work-around scripted on my Mac, but it’s a manual process on my iPad.  
My work-around is to do seperate searches, assigning tag:temp  
The amalgamated results is a simple search on tag:temp

• Level 5*

Just to amplify DTLow's answer, which is correct, you can do an AND search (which is the default) or you can do a OR search by putting the term "any:" at the start of your search (unless there's a "notebook:". term, in which case, the "any:" comes immediately after the "notebook:" term). In some constrained cases, you can simulate mixed AND/OR searches by using wildcarded search terms (for text search and tag names, mainly) or by using a "stack:" term, which does an OR selection on the set of notebooks in the named stack. But there are no general purpose AND/OR search facilities in Evernote.

Further reading: the Evernote Search Grammar

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, 河马啊 said:

and save it as a saved search for everyday use. However, the last version of Evernote that BitQwik is compatible with is 4.6.4.8136 or earlier.

So any possible maybe that I can do this kind of search in Evernote Windows v6.x? A separate tool is acceptable. Thanks.

As others have explained, this isn't currently possible. Please upvote here if you would like to see full boolean search implemented: 

34 分鐘前, DTLow說:

Evernote has never supported this type of search (combined Boolean And/Or search)

I have a work-around scripted on my Mac, but it’s a manual process on my iPad.  
My work-around is to do seperate searches, assigning tag:temp  
The amalgamated results is a simple search on tag:temp

I'm doing almost the same thing as you, split it into two seperate searches which evernote already support.

However, is there any external/seperate tool to achieve this demand more ideally?

I can use navicat to open the local .exb database file directly, which is just a SQLite database, all notes can be queried by building SQL SELECT statemen, which is read-only operation and safe enough. Is there any tools available that try to query the database directly to support the advanced search with AND/OR of evernote? I think it's useful.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, 河马啊 said:

I can use navicat to open the local .exb database file directly, which is just a SQLite database, all notes can be queried by building SQL SELECT statemen, which is read-only operation and safe enough. Is there any tools available that try to query the database directly to support the advanced search with AND/OR of evernote? I think it's useful.

I’m also accessing the database directly on my Mac.  I can work with the metadata, but I haven’t been able to return the list of notes to Evernote

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, tavor said:

As others have explained, this isn't currently possible. Please upvote here if you would like to see full boolean search implemented: 

Unfortunately, you can't upvote in this forum. I suggest you do a search to find a post that discusses this where you can upvote it, and put a hyperlink in your post. It's been requested for years!

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Unfortunately, you can't upvote in this forum. I suggest you do a search to find a post that discusses this where you can upvote it, and put a hyperlink in your post. It's been requested for years!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 27/08/2017 at 3:31 PM, Dychemj said:

How do i search exact phrases?  i am trying to find all notes with the date 2014 in them and it seems to be returning anything with 201.

I tried using "2014" to no avail... please advise

Hi.  How are your dates expressed in your notes?  is 2014 a string on its own?  Do you date as 1/1/2017,  or 1-1-2017?  Both of those work for me...

Characters are only found by search grammar if they are at the start of a string - except that 'punctuation' like "/" is read as a space - so the '2017' above is effectvely a stand-alone string.

• Level 5*
On 8/27/2017 at 9:31 AM, Dychemj said:

How do i search exact phrases?  i am trying to find all notes with the date 2014 in them and it seems to be returning anything with 201.

I tried using "2014" to no avail... please advise

Are you saying a search for 2014 returns notes that contain 201. ?  

Archived