Create a better workflow for tags. A sidebar, tree view, of tags.

estevancarlos

Idea

Another feature request in this forum suggests that Notebooks should become hierarchical. I disagree with this because tags can already be hierarchical. The problem as I see it is that Evernote doesn't encourage or allow for an easy way to view tags and their hierarchy. An example of where a tagging system works very well to me is Gmail. Gmail allows an email to exist within different tags just like Evernote. However it also offers a sidebar where you can view a tree-structure of tags (parent and child tags).

Since Evernote effectively encourages the use of tags as descriptors, most of us probably have too many tags that are disorganized. This is one of the biggest weaknesses of tagging and using tags poorly. I do the same. So from that perspective, my idea may not sound appealing. However if there could be a way to have a tree view of tags in the sidebar, I believe it would encourage more careful use of tagging and allow notebooks to remain untouched.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.05.38 AM.png

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

This already exists in the Evernote desktop clients, and to a lesser degree, the Android app; I cannot speak for the iOS app. If you're referring to a specific Evernote client, you should mention that.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, estevancarlos said:

However it also offers a sidebar where you can view a tree-structure of tags (parent and child tags).

The sidebar on my Mac displays the tag hierarchy, but it’s missing from other menus and platforms

I compensate somewhat by using a naming convention to ensure alphabetical sequence

50 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The sidebar on my Mac displays the tag hierarchy, but it’s missing from other menus and platforms

I compensate somewhat by using a naming convention to ensure alphabetical sequence

I guess I don't know how to use Evernote then (which I understand is common issue). This is what I have when I view tags in Evernote. I would prefer to have dropdowns and parent-child relationships in the sidebar.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 11.46.17 AM.png

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, estevancarlos said:

Ah okay. I use Evernote primarily on OSX. I get a large view in the primary window of all my tags. The sidebar only allows me to list one parent tag with no children menu option.

Here's the sidebar on my Mac598f4e9dd4027_ScreenShot2017-08-12at11_50_44.png.4a1e512035a87ac4537d52c9dddb2398.png
To show the child tags, I click on the arrow to the left of the parent tag

Just now, DTLow said:

Her's the sidebar on my Mac598f4e9dd4027_ScreenShot2017-08-12at11_50_44.png.4a1e512035a87ac4537d52c9dddb2398.png
To show the child tags, I click on the arrow to the left of the parent tag

I don't have that but.... AHHHHHH. I had to right click and activate that option! Geez. It was turned off by default. Well, damn this changes everything for me.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 11.54.43 AM.png

• Level 5*

I know its a Mac and I'm on Windows, but the above looks like the tag view in Windows, not the left panel view.  I thought Mac had the same left panel view, not the case?

ScreenClip.png.124c625b8040abda6a62e9486931ba18.png

EDIT:  Oops, posted after you found the solve.

1 minute ago, csihilling said:

I know its a Mac and I'm on Windows, but the above looks like the tag view in Windows, not the left panel view.  I thought Mac had the same left panel view, not the case?

ScreenClip.png.124c625b8040abda6a62e9486931ba18.png

EDIT:  Oops, posted after you found the solve.

Yeah, it has me wondering what else I don't know about the application. Kind of surprising.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, estevancarlos said:

Yeah, it has me wondering what else I don't know about the application. Kind of surprising.

Cruise menu options and you will get a sense of the view options and others that are available.

1 minute ago, csihilling said:

Cruise menu options and you will get a sense of the view options and others that are available.

Yeah, I'll need to read through the options for thoroughly. So based on my realization that I was not aware of this feature (and often times I am aware of those things) I'm going to make another feature request later about a more advanced preferences window. I am a web developer and use some software that offers very granular preferences windows with every feature available for customizing and control. I don't think Evernote needs to be more customizable but every controllable feature should be listed in a single preferences window. Just another idea.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, estevancarlos said:

Yeah, I'll need to read through the options for thoroughly. So based on my realization that I was not aware of this feature (and often times I am aware of those things) I'm going to make another feature request later about a more advanced preferences window. I am a web developer and use some software that offers very granular preferences windows with every feature available for customizing and control. I don't think Evernote needs to be more customizable but every controllable feature should be listed in a single preferences window. Just another idea.

Yeah.  The other place to review in detail is the options menu.  Quite a few settings available therein.

Archived