Voice typing suggestions with Evernote android app

I am trying to choose between Evernote and Google Keep as my note taking app in Android. Since my requirement is core class room notes and ones that I have made myself, Evernote seems to be a clear winner.

I have one problem though.

Up until now, I have been using Google Keep and generally use the voice typing feature to jot down a lot of notes. Any ambiguity between words due to pronunciation is sorted out with the help of suggestion that occurs in the form of a grey underline. An example

In Evernote, however, this grey underline does not occur. Is it possible to access this feature in Evernote?

I use Anki as well, and while voice typing there I do get this greyed out line for suggestions. So it might be an app based issue.

Please advise.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Can't comment on other apps,  but Evernote doesn't have a voice-to-text option at all.  The audio note feature is just that - pure audio.  Recording can be set up for voice activation via Siri, Cortana etc

• Level 5
18 hours ago, moon.tenzin said:

Up until now, I have been using Google Keep and generally use the voice typing feature to jot down a lot of notes. Any ambiguity between words due to pronunciation is sorted out with the help of suggestion that occurs in the form of a grey underline. An example

In Evernote, however, this grey underline does not occur. Is it possible to access this feature in Evernote?

This is a feature of Google voice-to-text that is built into many onscreen keyboards. I use it in Smart Keyboard Pro. And I also find that in other apps, such as Messaging, the gray underline and alternative suggestions appear, but that this is not the case in Evernote. I believe it is another unfortunate feature of the Chrome-based editor that Evernote has chosen to use in its Android app. It will only be corrected if they do some reprogramming of the editor--which they may or may not do.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Can't comment on other apps,  but Evernote doesn't have a voice-to-text option at all.  The audio note feature is just that - pure audio.  Recording can be set up for voice activation via Siri, Cortana etc

Hi, thanks for replying.

I think I didn't frame the question too well. Actually, it's Google keyboard that is doing the voice to text conversion, not Keep or Evernote. Edited screenshot.

It's after the output of voice-to-text conversion has been placed in the note, that suggestions (in a form of grey underline) for similar sounding words are provided. I have noticed that these suggestions only appear in apps which do not provide any text formatting option, like Keep (screenshot), Anki, Whatsapp, Allo etc. It fails in OneNote, Evernote, MS Word and all such apps which have rich text-editing features. 

So, is there any way, to enable suggestions while entering data via Google Voice typing interface?

Edit: As Dave-in-Decatursaid, reprogramming of the editor might be required, suggestions might not be possible anytime soon. 

• Level 5*

Short term you would be able to capture the content in one app,  then copy/ paste to Evernote.  Longer term we can only wait for Evernote to look at making the editor compatible with this method of text entry.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, moon.tenzin said:

I think I didn't frame the question too well. Actually, it's Google keyboard that is doing the voice to text conversion, not Keep or Evernote. Edited screenshot.

It's after the output of voice-to-text conversion has been placed in the note, that suggestions (in a form of grey underline) for similar sounding words are provided. I have noticed that these suggestions only appear in apps which do not provide any text formatting option, like Keep (screenshot), Anki, Whatsapp, Allo etc. It fails in OneNote, Evernote, MS Word and all such apps which have rich text-editing features.

Yes, that's exactly what I experience. But I had not related it to text formatting! That's why the alternative suggestions are available in Messaging. And that gave me an idea: I checked in the Evernote quick note that you can pull down from the notification bar, and in that app (which uses a different editor) the gray-underlining and the suggestions are available! Perhaps that would be useful to you, as long as you don't need formatting and don't mind the notes being automatically put into the default notebook.

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yes, that's exactly what I experience. But I had not related it to text formatting! That's why the alternative suggestions are available in Messaging. And that gave me an idea: I checked in the Evernote quick note that you can pull down from the notification bar, and in that app (which uses a different editor) the gray-underlining and the suggestions are available! Perhaps that would be useful to you, as long as you don't need formatting and don't mind the notes being automatically put into the default notebook.

Wow, this. This I can live with. I can voice-in all the data and format it later as required. This will be a lot easier compared to copy-pasting, as it would most definitely require me to turn on my computer. 

Thanks, Dave. :)

Archived