Share and Update an Excel through Evernote

I'm using Evernote Premium, running it under Windows 10.

How do I share a Note that has an Excel document attached with another Evernote user and allow both of us to update that Excel document and see each others changes?

I've tried a couple tests with and without Work Chat with an Evernote Plus user and haven't been able to get it to work yet.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

I'm using Evernote Premium, running it under Windows 10.

How do I share a Note that has an Excel document attached with another Evernote user and allow both of us to update that Excel document and see each others changes?

I've tried a couple tests with and without Work Chat with an Evernote Plus user and haven't been able to get it to work yet.

Where was the sharing/updating failing?

Were you successful in sharing the note?

I just tested it again. I made a change on the Excel document on the Windows laptop. I synced Evernote. I went to the Mac laptop. I synced Evernote. I opened the document from the Work Chat screen. The change I made on Windows appeared. I made a change to the document as it was open. I saved the document to the Mac's HD. I synced Evernote. Then, I went back to the Windows laptop. Synced Evernote. Opened the document from the Work Chat window, but the change made on the Mac doesn't show up.

By the way, I am testing with a Word document, as the Mac doesn't have Excel installed on it. I can't imagine that would make a difference. I would be surprised that the process depends on what kind of document is being shared.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Analyst444 said:

the change made on the Mac doesn't show up

I tested on my Mac, with excel, word and numbers attachments

Each time I updated the attachment, the note was flagged as changed, and sync'd

I confirmed the updated documents using the web platform

DTLow - Thanks for your help on this.

I still haven't gotten it to work. 

I thought that maybe I don't need to do this through Work Chat. So, I started from scratch. I created a new Note with an Word document attachment on Windows in a Notebook that I've shared with the other user. I synced. I went to the Mac. I synced. I opened the Word document (which was opened with the Pages app). The information I entered on Windows was there. I then made changes to the document. I closed it. I synced EN on the Mac. I went back to the Window computer. I synced. I opened the Note and then the Word attachment and the change I made on the Mac did not appear. I even with to the web-based version of EN and the changes weren't there, either. 

I can't detect any difference between what you are doing and what I am.

Do you have another idea?

• Level 5*

Try and break down your testing into separate areas.

You identified a problem with updates on your Mac, so focus there.  For now, ignore sharing, work chat, windows...

When you update the attachment,

1. Does the update import to Evernote
  2. is the note flagged for syncing.  
  3. Does it sync to the server.

I use list view and display a sync column, so  it’s easy to identify notes flagged for sync

I broke the testing apart as you suggested.

On the Mac, I created a Numbers document and attached it to a Note. It was marked to be synced. I updated and closed it. I opened it again and the changes were still there. I synced it. I went to the Windows laptop. I synced it. The new Note was there with the Numbers document but, of course, Windows cannot open it. So far, so good.

However if I create a document on Windows and attached it to a Note, it gets passed to the Mac, but the Mac can't update it. I tried this with a CSV document I created on Windows. The Mac could open it and I could update it. I would close it and the Mac would ask to save it to the Mac's HD, which I did, But when I opened it, the updates were not there.

This appears to be a problem with the EN version on Mac. I can't think what else to try to test.

I tested updating an Excel document attached to a Note with another user. This one used Windows. It worked fine. 

The problem apparently has something to do with the Mac version of EN and/or differences in the apps that Windows and Macs use to modify a document.

Archived