Notes showing excessive blank space on the sides.

Hello there,

I have just noticed that recently my Evernote notes started showing excessive blank space on the sides and a bit on top and bottom, as highlighted by the yellow bars on the attached screenshot, while before the text was shown closer to the note border.

I have updated to version 6.6.4.5512 (305512) recently so I would like to know if this change was introduced by the update or maybe by something I did wrong or changed unintentionaly due to some mistyped key or something.

I have looked in the application options and so on, but I could not find any setting to undo this behavior, so your help is much appreciated to sort this out.

Thank you so much in advance for the kind feedback and support!

Cheers,
Vítor.

05-08-2017 18-57-20.png

05-08-2017 19-13-19.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, vitorandresantos said:

Even though I might understand the technical reason for the 'new' layout standard, I have to say that in general it doesn't not look good and for sure there must a better solution for the technical requirement behind the change.

I believe the extra space has to do with the new table capabilities.  The extra spacing enables display of the add column/row icons when working a table.  

I agree with you there has to be a better UI for displaying the table options.  In addition to the spacing, the drop down formatting options icon in the table cells hides text when you are editing the cell, another PITA.  These issues were reported in the beta threads, but no changes were made.  Which is interesting since EN has seemed so interested in pretty UI's of late,  So they may irritants we are stuck with.  But I hope not.

• 1 month later...

Guys, that little extra white space is actually a good thing - It improves the readability of the text. I was actually wondering why EN didn't implement this sooner.

Just try keeping an open mind - I know a lot of you were used to working in that tight "edge-to-edge" environment, but for me it was actually one of biggest EN flaws.

Just think about it - any publications meant to be read have the white space on the sides. Take a look at books, magazines, ebook readers, websites, office applications, the space is there for a reason. Imagine reading a book that has text written just a few millimeters from the edge. That would not be a good experience. This is a step in the right direction.

Good Job Evernote! I'm actually considering a subscription now :)

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Matoh said:

Guys, that little extra white space is actually a good thing - It improves the readability of the text.

Fact check: no.

If I wanted less room to read notes, I could make my windows narrower. And having fake white space on the right/left doesn't help readability nor type-ability. It just make me thing the margins are messed up.

On 9/23/2017 at 5:03 AM, EdH said:

If I wanted less room to read notes, I could make my windows narrower. And having fake white space on the right/left doesn't help readability nor type-ability. It just make me thing the margins are messed up.

Agreed .... I don't like the white space ... fewer words on the screen now.

ALG

I really preferred it  without the white space on the side. Really hope this will change back (or become configurable). I like to have multiple windows open a the same time, next to each other. Evernote was ideal e.g. for having a video conference and write meeting notes while still seeing the other persons face(s) on my laptop because the notes where nice and small.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 5:03 AM, EdH said:

Agreed.

This just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time.  So please just make it an optional.  I hate this enforced wasted space on my valuable screen real estate.  This is complete nonsense.   It's almost enough to make me move on...

Archived