I have to reinstall my OS - how do I keep from losing my Evernote files?

I have to reinstall my operating system (Windows 7), so I'm wondering what if anything I need to do to keep from losing my files in Evernote.  Could someone tell me what to do to keep from losing my files? 

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, kuurt said:

I have to reinstall my operating system (Windows 7), so I'm wondering what if anything I need to do to keep from losing my files in Evernote.  Could someone tell me what to do to keep from losing my files? 

The master copy of your data is stored on the Evernote servers and will be downloaded when you reinstall Evernote

Warning: This does not include Local Notebooks or unsync’d notes.  Local notebooks require personal backups.  

The discussion is moved to the Windows forum.  Hopefully a Windows user will respond

• Level 5*

Hi.

...Basically what @DTLow said.  Reinstall your OS,  reinstall Evernote,  log back into the app using your usual details,  and you should see your notes re-appear.  It might take a little while to start up the first time,  because Evernote keeps a local copy of your database on the hard drive and a new install has to rebuild that.  But within 10 minutes or so you should be back to your current situation.

Local Notebooks require a little more effort that than others to set-up,  so if you had any you should know about it.  If in doubt,  right-click a notebook name (in your left panel) and choose 'properties' from the dropdown.  It should show "synchronized notebook".

Edited for typo

• Level 5
13 hours ago, kuurt said:

How can you tell if your notes are sync'd or not? 

After checking for local notebooks, per @gazumped, just click the Sync button (the one with the round arrows) near the top, or press F9, or do Tools > Sync; all of these accomplish the same thing. Do this the last thing before you shut down Evernote and turn your computer off to reinstall the OS.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, kuurt said:

Do a search on your hard drive for *.exb. Copy the file(s) that show up to somewhere that is not going to be affected by the reinstallation. Reinstall Windows 7 (although I don't understand why you don't go with Windows 10 now that most of the significant bugs have been squashed), reinstall Evernote. Change the location of the exb file to where you want it (NOT where you stored the copy) within the program. Shut down the program. Copy your safe version of the exb file to where you just said you wanted it to go, and overwrite the existing version. Start Evernote and let it sync with the servers (if you have a lot of online notes it may take a while... Your Evenote is now restored to where it was before. I have done this several times over the years, and it has always got me back to where I last used it.

Archived