Writer mode

Wonil Suh

Idea

Hi, I used Evernote for all kinds of note taking, including writing short stories and poems. One feature that would be super helpful is a writer mode with the following features:

• distraction free full screen mode
  • adjustable maximum text width to prevent lines from getting too long
  • auto scrolling as you type
  • margin notes
  • commenting

Either as a part of Evernote, or a companion app could be super helpful too.

Thank you!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Wonil Suh said:

Hi, I used Evernote for all kinds of note taking, including writing short stories and poems.

I find the Evernote editor adequate for notes.  I use dedicated apps for more serious work.  My solution would be to use a dedicated writer centric app

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I find the Evernote editor adequate for notes.  I use dedicated apps for more serious work.  My solution would be to use a dedicated writer centric app

I did try other apps such as Ulysses, but I find these too limited. I use Evernote for much more than just notes — I often create references and side notes with sketches and multi-level bullet points, and other writing apps simply don't cut it for me. And having my writings scattered in multiple apps doesn't help either.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Wonil Suh said:

And having my writings scattered in multiple apps doesn't help either.

I don’t scatter my work either.  Even though I use other editors, I file the documents in Evernote as an attachment.

Evernote works well with office/iwork files, pdf files and images; however any file can be attached to a note

11 hours ago, Wonil Suh said:

Hi, I used Evernote for all kinds of note taking, including writing short stories and poems. One feature that would be super helpful is a writer mode with the following features:

• distraction free full screen mode
  • adjustable maximum text width to prevent lines from getting too long
  • auto scrolling as you type
  • margin notes
  • commenting

Either as a part of Evernote, or a companion app could be super helpful too.

Thank you!

Have you seen WriteRoom? It does pretty much the first three items, though I'm not sure about the last two.

Archived