Evernote for Windows 6.6 GA Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 GA - you cadownload it here. This release gives all users access to the new editor including better tables and image preview functionality along with some improvements to the share dialog. 

Our new editor has some changes in it's behavior including how it handles copy/paste, simplify formating and lays out content. We're continuing to track feedback in this and other areas to understand what to refine next in terms of the experience, so please keep the feedback coming as we're expecting to include more tweaks along with more editing features in 6.7 and upcoming releases.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor teams! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

• Like 3

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tavor said:

Is it just me, or did the margins in the notes increase in 6.6? Seems like a lot of wasted space in the left edge of the notes field, which means I can see less of a note's content at a glance without opening up the note into its own window.

They did. They seriously need to go on a diet. Way too big. 

• Like 7

I use checkboxes heavily to organize my daily work. I regularly prioritize tasks by cutting and pasting lines in my to-do list into an order that suits me. 

It seems that in this new release the ability to gracefully cut/paste checkboxes is broken. 

Can you please fix it?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• Level 5*

Is it just me, or did the margins in the notes increase in 6.6? Seems like a lot of wasted space in the left edge of the notes field, which means I can see less of a note's content at a glance without opening up the note into its own window.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*

Experiencing an issue with default font size I never noticed in earlier versions.

Under Tools > Options > Note, my default note font is Tahoma 10pt. When I create a new note, it defaults to Tahoma 9pt.

Also, I could have sworn that prior to 6.6, my older notes were all created using Tahoma 10pt, but when I move the cursor over the text, EN 6.6 informs me these are Tahoma 9pt. But my old notes font size is visibly different from the new notes font size (9pt), even though EN 6.6 indicates they are all 9pt.

Here's an example. This note was created prior to updating to v6.6. The font is Tahoma 10pt, but EN v6.6 tells me the font is 9pt. After updating to v6.6, when I add a new line as I did prior to taking the snapshot, the text is in 9pt font. Clearly the font sizes are different, so not only did EN fail to preserve the original font size when hitting Enter to create a new line, it incorrectly reports all the text in the note as Tahoma 9pt.

qEFvWy3.png

• Like 2

There are lot of issues with this new version:

1. It has disabled the option for 'simplify formatting (Ctrl +space)', which was very important as it helped in making my notes as per my default fonts and size.

2. There has to be an option for the users to select these new features as per their wish.

3. These new features serve no great purpose. It has become complex now.

• Like 1
On 3-8-2017 at 7:23 PM, tavor said:

No, definitely not just you. :wacko: I'm hoping for a feature where you can see/adjust that.

As well as paragraphmarkers 'cause sometimes things fly all over the place and I don't know why.

• Like 2
On 8/3/2017 at 1:28 PM, EdH said:

They did. They seriously need to go on a diet. Way too big. 

Please provide a way to adjust the margins. I don't want the wasted space on the left edge!

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎02 at 6:50 AM, gustavgi said:

There is still something weird going on since beta 1 with Note font and font size in Options affecting parts of web clipped notes, as well as other changes to the note layout.

Skärmbild (246).png

Skärmbild (228).png

Two screenshots of the same old clipped note. First picture is 6.5.4 and second picture from 6.6 has:

-Changed the font of the title
-Changed the alignment of the first column to the middle, and not the top
-Removed the background colors
-Changed the colors of the links
-Made the space between the numbering and the text in the body smaller

These problems still exists two months later, which makes this GA version cause the same data loss by corrupting clipped notes.

2 hours ago, gustavgi said:

These problems still exists two months later, which makes this GA version cause the same data loss by corrupting clipped notes.

Evernote has always had issues with Fonts between systems. Several Options, such as font size are available with different Options on web and Windows. Android doesn't have them at all. I just gave up proper formatting with Evernote, it is not worth the hassle. I read a couple of times now, that the Editor is to be upgraded though with the same one on all platforms. Let's see when that happens.

• Level 5*

Merge is still broken when you are Sync on Demand enabled. See this post. It was also reported in the 6.6 betas.

Bottom line is the merge happens even if the notes aren't downloaded so only the subject is merged, the note body is simply thrown in the trash.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jaykob said:

Evernote has always had issues with Fonts between systems. Several Options, such as font size are available with different Options on web and Windows. Android doesn't have them at all. I just gave up proper formatting with Evernote, it is not worth the hassle. I read a couple of times now, that the Editor is to be upgraded though with the same one on all platforms. Let's see when that happens.

Yeah but this is not simply issues with fonts between systems, this is forced simplified formatting of a note across all platforms if you make the slightest edit..

I can't get sync with 6.6, nor the public version nor beta version. But the 6.5 has no problem with syncing. PS. I use both versions in China.

Evernote for Windows 6.6.4.5512 (305512) Public
User: 
Memory: 88.2 MB
Created: 2017/08/03 02:02:16
---
Bootstrap info: loadedFresh
---
Unavailable
01:59:48 [23824] Utility Store request has failed. Error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
01:59:49 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:52 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:54 [21484] Failed to retrieve messages from the Communication Engine Client
01:59:54 [21484] * HTTP request failed, code: 503, error: Service Unavailable
01:59:55 [3032] Client synchronization started
01:59:55 [25876] 0% Loaded updateCount: 34070
01:59:56 [25876] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:56 [3032] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
01:59:56 [3032] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
01:59:56 [3032] * elapsed time: 1s
01:59:57 [3032] Client synchronization started
01:59:57 [25876] 0% Loaded updateCount: 34070
01:59:57 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:57 [25876] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
01:59:57 [3032] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
01:59:57 [3032] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
02:00:05 [4188] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/08/03 02:00:00
02:00:09 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
02:00:33 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
02:01:19 [16948] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
02:01:47 [21900] Received status code 200 when accessing URL https://update.evernote.com/public/ENWin6/ReleaseNotes_6.6.4.5512_en-us.html

Thanks as always for the update; appreciate that Evernote is still growing and improving.

Today, this area struck me, so, I wanted to take some time to write about it.

I took a picture of a document using my iPhone Evernote app, using said app's "Document" mode.  When you come to desktop / Evernote for Windows, the "Document in Evernote" attachment shows what it looks like.  It's stretched or tall.  If you maximize the window, the document just stretches; it is not much help.  You have to double-click to open the viewer to get a semi-decent view of the document.  This has been true since the new editor came into existence.

I almost didn't write this post.  I thought, "Well, maybe that's livable."  But, then I looked at a "card" I took a picture of.  See the "Card in Evernote" attachment.  Yuck.  If you look at "Card in Evernote on iPhone" (the attachment), well, that's what a document should look like.

My food for thought; being that the iPhone and Evernote provide for document capture, document viewing needs some thinking/help.

Document in Evernote.png

Card in Evernote.jpg

Card in Evernote on iPhone.PNG

I really hate this new image viewer, and how clicking in the picture while inside the viewer suddenly zooms in. Although I could definitely how an image viewer is an improvement, it feels broken and ***** to use. I cannot find a way to turn it off, and to use the default  program I use, which is the Windows Photo Viewer.

I wish I could use my mouse to click and drag to pan around the viewing the picture, and use mouse scrolling to zoom, just like it works on the Windows Photo Viewer. I wish I could right click the picture while in viewing mode, to have options.

Having this image viewer thing pushed into me like this is really really frustrating to me.

1 hour ago, rushfan said:

I really hate this new image viewer, and how clicking in the picture while inside the viewer suddenly zooms in. Although I could definitely how an image viewer is an improvement, it feels broken and ***** to use. I cannot find a way to turn it off, and to use the default  program I use, which is the Windows Photo Viewer.

I wish I could use my mouse to click and drag to pan around the viewing the picture, and use mouse scrolling to zoom, just like it works on the Windows Photo Viewer. I wish I could right click the picture while in viewing mode, to have options.

Having this image viewer thing pushed into me like this is really really frustrating to me.

When you select a picture in Evernote note, it gains blue border and mouse cursor changes to the zoom icon. When you left-click it again, it will open the picture in the Evernote viewer. Instead of doing this, right-click on the picture and select "Open" from the pop-up menu. This will place it in Windows Photo Viewer. The very next option is Open With, which let you select from different programs to view and/or edit your desired picture. As a matter of fact, you do not need to first select a picture in order to invoke the menu. Just point your mouse to it, right-click on it, and then choose one of desired options from the right-click menu. But I do agree, that they could have made the better job with the viewer.

28 minutes ago, keisoko said:

When you select a picture in Evernote note, it gains blue border and mouse cursor changes to the zoom icon. When you left-click it again, it will open the picture in the Evernote viewer. Instead of doing this, right-click on the picture and select "Open" from the pop-up menu. This will place it in Windows Photo Viewer. The very next option is Open With, which let you select from different programs to view and/or edit your desired picture. As a matter of fact, you do not need to first select a picture in order to invoke the menu. Just point your mouse to it, right-click on it, and then choose one of desired options from the right-click menu. But I do agree, that they could have made the better job with the viewer.

That takes too many steps and mouse movements, it is extremely annoying to have to do that. You have to right-click, then hover over "Open with", then hover and click on "Windows photo viewer".

I just want to be able to decently view the pictures. In fact, it might actually be a good thing having an image viewer in Evernote. I just cannot adapt to the way it currently works, and wish they would not force this ***** sandwich on me. 

I can't believe this, I waited for the official release because the beta messed up with "Paste and match style", and the official release still doesn't work, both types of paste are identical!

I understand if something that was broken before is still broken, but I have difficulty with something that worked fine before being now broken in the official release, particularly when it seems like basic functionality (plain text pasting).

Since I don't yet understand what all the fancy dancy new table features are for, and the beta discussion seemed to suggest data corruption may occur because of them, I guess I will go back to the previous version, but honestly, this is annoying.

I use plain text pasting everyday, need this feature!!

• Like 2

Am I the only one having some specific printing problems with 6.6? 

To be precise, those wonderful new tables do not print  as formatted.  

Anything else from within Evernote will print as saved and seen on display.

Win 10,  32/64Bit  Creators Update.

Known issue? Any idea how to fix?

as formated.png

as print preview shows.png

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I can't believe this, I waited for the official release because the beta messed up with "Paste and match style", and the official release still doesn't work, both types of paste are identical!

I understand if something that was broken before is still broken, but I have difficulty with something that worked fine before being now broken in the official release, particularly when it seems like basic functionality (plain text pasting).

Since I don't yet understand what all the fancy dancy new table features are for, and the beta discussion seemed to suggest data corruption may occur because of them, I guess I will go back to the previous version, but honestly, this is annoying.

I use plain text pasting all the time, need this feature!!

Example in attachment: paste and "paste in current syle":

2017-08-03 22_02_50-Все блокноты - demas@fastmail.com - Evernote.png

3 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

"Paste in current style" from context menu works for me fine.

I just deleted the new version, I did not see "currently style" in the context menu of the new Windows update.  I would be willing to try again, but if you are correct, then what exactly is the difference between "Paste in current style" and  "Paste and match style"?

then what exactly is the difference between "Paste in current style" and  "Paste and match style"

I thing it is the same menu. I am using non-english localization and translate it in English by myself.

But this feature works for me.

11 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

I thing it is the same menu. I am using non-english localization and translate it in English by myself.

But this feature works for me.

I see.  Copy and paste from a web page pastes everything including graphics, tables and formatting, as is, in normal paste, or just text in "paste and match style".  Your example contained no graphics, just a little formatting (just font size as far as I can tell), could you confirm with an example full of formatting and graphics?  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Don Dz said:

This is what I mean:

Normal paste 

Image.png

Paste and Match Style:

The Urban Dictionary Mug
One side has the word, one side has the definition. Microwave and dishwasher safe. Lotsa space for your liquids.

BUY THE MUG

This is with the old version, the new version would show both pastes with the graphics and full formatting.

Can you specify how the changes in "simplify formatting" and possibly "remove formatting" are intended to work? I can't figure it out, and it just seems to not work. 

Not that I'm entirely happy with how it used to work (eg, it inserted lots of line breaks between paragraph, and sometimes broke tables), but it removed font information and converted everything to "default font" on whatever platform, which was very useful. Can't seem to get that.

• Level 5*

I can confirm that CTRL+SHIFT+V (Paste and Match Style) does not work as it did in v6.5. In v6.6, CTRL+SHIFT+V does not reliably strip out the source formatting.

This is a deal breaker for me on 6.6. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, otherwise I'll have to roll back to 6.5.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ben V said:

I use checkboxes heavily to organize my daily work. I regularly prioritize tasks by cutting and pasting lines in my to-do list into an order that suits me. 

It seems that in this new release the ability to gracefully cut/paste checkboxes is broken. 

Can you please fix it?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Documented for Dev and checking with QA

• Ex Employees
9 minutes ago, tavor said:

I can confirm that CTRL+SHIFT+V (Paste and Match Style) does not work as it did in v6.5. In v6.6, CTRL+SHIFT+V does not reliably strip out the source formatting.

This is a deal breaker for me on 6.6. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, otherwise I'll have to roll back to 6.5.

Hi tavor, where are you copying from before the paste and match style into Evernote? What are you seeing on the paste that is unexpected compared to what you remember seeing on 6.5?

23 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

Thanks as always for the update; appreciate that Evernote is still growing and improving.

Today, this area struck me, so, I wanted to take some time to write about it.

I took a picture of a document using my iPhone Evernote app, using said app's "Document" mode.  When you come to desktop / Evernote for Windows, the "Document in Evernote" attachment shows what it looks like.  It's stretched or tall.  If you maximize the window, the document just stretches; it is not much help.  You have to double-click to open the viewer to get a semi-decent view of the document.  This has been true since the new editor came into existence.

I almost didn't write this post.  I thought, "Well, maybe that's livable."  But, then I looked at a "card" I took a picture of.  See the "Card in Evernote" attachment.  Yuck.  If you look at "Card in Evernote on iPhone" (the attachment), well, that's what a document should look like.

My food for thought; being that the iPhone and Evernote provide for document capture, document viewing needs some thinking/help.

Document in Evernote.png

Card in Evernote.jpg

Card in Evernote on iPhone.PNG

We will have a fix for this image skewing problem

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, tavor said:

My workaround for now is to paste into Notepad++, then copy again and paste into Evernote. There is no formatting to go with it. You can do the same with Notepad built into Windows.

Not ideal, but workable.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, FredG said:

Hi,

Issue in this version: i can't copy an image from a mail (gmail app) and paste it in a note, this worked in the previous version.

Do you get anything from the email when you try and copy and paste?  And do you happen to have an example we can test with? 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Jay-Bob said:

Hi tavor, where are you copying from before the paste and match style into Evernote? What are you seeing on the paste that is unexpected to what you remember seeing on 6.5?

As an example, I was copy/pasting text from this page: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3283409-court-refuses-drop-facetime-class-action-lawsuit-apple

All results are from pasting via CTRL+SHIFT+V:

HqQYWee.png

Text shows both my default in EN (Tahoma) and Verdana; font size also changes.

9QKh1Ob.png

Again showing both Tahoma and Verdana; also varied spacing; but at least all the same font size.

SRd5eSv.png

This came out correct. It uses EN default font and font size and strips out the spacing from the source.

• Sad 1
  • Ex Employees
7 minutes ago, tavor said:

Thanks for the detailed steps to reproduce. I see exactly what you mean. This is something our developers are aware of. They are investigating a resolution.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, EdH said:

My workaround for now is to paste into Notepad++, then copy again and paste into Evernote. There is no formatting to go with it. You can do the same with Notepad built into Windows.

Not ideal, but workable.

... and it strips out hyperlinks as well :-( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
42 minutes ago, lhb said:

... and it strips out hyperlinks as well :-( 

As I recall v6.5 (and all prior versions) stripped out hyperlinks when using CTRL+SHIFT+V. So retaining hyperlinks is a nice feature improvement in v6.6, provided they can fix it so that CTRL+SHIFT+V works as intended.

• Like 1

Something's wrong with clipping emails from outlook. It seems to clip an email conversation fine as usual but it is putting all of the emails headers up at the top of the note, THEN the remark and horizontal rule, then each email, again with their own headers (but with a space/line break between the "from" line and "sent" line. I've raised a bug. Seems to only behave this way since I updated yesterday.

Hi,

The search filter "source:mobile.ios" is not working anymore (dont know if it was in betas).

By the way, would be nice to have "source:mobile.watchos" so i can easily finde notes created when im walking (with the Apple Watch...)

Best regards,

On 8/3/2017 at 6:04 PM, tavor said:

As I recall v6.5 (and all prior versions) stripped out hyperlinks when using CTRL+SHIFT+V. So retaining hyperlinks is a nice feature improvement in v6.6, provided they can fix it so that CTRL+SHIFT+V works as intended.

I guess I misunderstood the whole purpose of Ctrl-Shift-V. I thought it was intended to remove everything except the text. No font, no bold, no italic, no color, no hyperlink, no nothing except the text. I can see a gazillion options needed here with people wanting text with the italic but no bold, and others wanting text with all font stuff but no hyperlinks, and those who don't want the font to be maintained but do want hyperlinks. How about Ctrl-V equals keep it looking like it did at the source, and Ctrl-Shift-V meaning make it look the same as the existing stuff I'm pasting it into. Just like it used to work.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

I guess I misunderstood the whole purpose of Ctrl-Shift-V. I thought it was intended to remove everything except the text. No font, no bold, no italic, no color, no hyperlink, no nothing except the text. I can see a gazillion options needed here with people wanting text with the italic but no bold, and others wanting text with all font stuff but no hyperlinks, and those who don't want the font to be maintained but do want hyperlinks. How about Ctrl-V equals keep it looking like it did at the source, and Ctrl-Shift-V meaning make it look the same as the existing stuff I'm pasting it into. Just like it used to work.

I suppose it depends on what greater number of users want. My preference is strip out the formatting, but keep the information, and hyperlinks are information (an information preserving alternative would be plain text followed by a url, but I think we can all agree that would be inferior to a hyperlink).

Also, removing a hyperlink is quicker than creating one. 

2 minutes ago, tavor said:

I suppose it depends on what greater number of users want. My preference is strip out the formatting, but keep the information, and hyperlinks are information (an information preserving alternative would be plain text followed by a url, but I think we can all agree that would be inferior to a hyperlink).

Bold, italic, underlined, color, big, little. These are all information the creator is trying to pass on the the reader. I admit there are times I want to copy a hyperlink. For those times I use Ctrl-V. Mostly I want to get riid of them. I just want the stupid waybill number, not a link to a tracking webpage.

Seems like all the extra space on the nodes sides that I have just complained about in another post is due to the "new editor" introduced in version 6.6 GA, as I see other people complaining about the same on these comments.

Can Evernote please fix this? All that extra blank space is basically useless and just taking screen real estate.

Thanks!
V.

• Like 2

I don't even dare updating, Tried the beta version, I mean pre-alpha and screwed up my formatting. Reading this thread it seems not much have been fixed. How can you release this as public version? Knowing evernote this is beta or pre beta, and using public users as beta testers. Not happy.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, vitorandresantos said:

Seems like all the extra space on the nodes sides that I have just complained about in another post is due to the "new editor" introduced in version 6.6 GA, as I see other people complaining about the same on these comments.

Can Evernote please fix this? All that extra blank space is basically useless and just taking screen real estate.

Thanks!
V.

Or at least make it an option so users can decide:

1. aesthetically pleasing excessive whitespace design for Apple fanboys and minimalist wannabes
  2. functional design for people who actually take and review notes rather than stare approvingly at empty whitespace on their monitors
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, vitorandresantos said:

Thanks!
V.

I had read the extra margin on the left was due to the new table editor. One nice feature of the margin is it allows you to shift-click and drag down selecting entire rows of text, which you couldn't easily do in prior versions. It makes is much easier to cut/paste/move sections of text around. I do agree that it seems larger than necessary however.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2017 at 1:42 PM, EdH said:

Not ideal, but workable.

I have noticed that if a web source document has any text with h1/h2 type tags (i.e. headers), then those are tags are retained on paste and match style, thus they show up with much bolder text. You can see this by exporting the EN note as a web page, and see the tags are retained.

12 hours ago, Wilkster said:

I had read the extra margin on the left was due to the new table editor. One nice feature of the margin is it allows you to shift-click and drag down selecting entire rows of text, which you couldn't easily do in prior versions. It makes is much easier to cut/paste/move sections of text around. I do agree that it seems larger than necessary however.

I just created a note with a table and indeed it seems that the extra space serves to accommodate the table controls.

But if you ask me, I don't think it makes any sense to ruin the entire note layout because of a simple element which in most cases is not used anyway.

Why not just indent the table in order to allow space for the controls or maybe move the controls to the right of the table where there should be plenty of space when the notes and left aligned?

• Level 5*

Here is another example of CTRL+SHIFT+V issues:

Here's a note created prior to EN v6.6.

z055atV.png

Then I copy a bit of text from this page: https://ipsw.me/#!/download (have to select a device and software version to get the page showing the bit of text I'm copying):

SG0JtKA.png

And here's the note after I hit enter to create a new line, then CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste in the copied text:

eIdqyC7.png

So line spacing, indent, font and bold are all not stripped out. The only thing that does get stripped out is font size and the pasted text is font size 9, which is a separate issue which I described earlier in this thread (the default font size I have set in EN options is 10pt, but EN continues to use 9pt, and it also incorrectly reports 10pt font as 9pt, while correctly reporting 9pt font as 9pt - all described in this post: 

For the curious, here's what it looks like when the text is pasted in using CTRL+V:

ixIMWE1.png

I was part of the beta test for this General Release.  From reading the discussion, I, too, am concerned about updating to this new version with all the bugs that I am reading.  I have certain functions that I need to work as it is now.  I appreciate the fancy things added in tables, but I have found a way around not having those functions in Evernote.

I'm fortunate in that I have a spare, "Test" system kicking around that I can run 6.6 on and use my free account. I create a note template with whatever tables and formatting I want and then just export this template. Importing into an earlier version on my premium account (I still mostly use 6.3.3) keeps everything as it was and I have my 6.6 table in 6.3. True, if I want to make changes to the templates I have to go back to the test system, but after a few go-rounds I generally have things the way I want them and can ignore 6.6 until I need something else that 6.3 won't do. And there's really not that much I need to do that it can't do.

If 6.6 is not working for you, don't use it. Stick with whatever works. EN isn't (I hope) going to flick a kill switch and disable earlier versions and force everybody to switch tomorrow, so sit back, use what works, and eventually 6.6 will be perfected. Probably around the time 6.7 beta 1 comes out. :)

At least they are doing something.

MS has pretty much killed OneNote by not taking it seriously enough to make it useful for more than grandma's recipes, so EN is all we've got. Personally, I'm quite happy to wait at 6.3.3 until 6.6 does things I need to do in a more reliable fashion.

• Like 1

hello,

I've just updated to 6.6.4.5512 and have the same issue with the copy/paste in plain text.  This make Evernote useless for me. How to reinstall previous version, please ? 

A fix will be release soon or are you still investigating.. ? 

- I copy/paste a lot from Google Chrome to Evernote. Now it's impossible to paste in plain text. 

- I don't understand all the work done on the tables formatting. Is it still possible to insert a simple table without all the fancy options ? It's so hard to write long data in two column and keep something readable at the first try... 

4 hours ago, xaa said:

? It's so hard to write long data in two column and keep something readable at the first try... 

I have no problems with that. Can you please specify what your problem is?

7 hours ago, xaa said:

hello,

I've just updated to 6.6.4.5512 and have the same issue with the copy/paste in plain text.  This make Evernote useless for me. How to reinstall previous version, please ? 

A fix will be release soon or are you still investigating.. ? 

- I copy/paste a lot from Google Chrome to Evernote. Now it's impossible to paste in plain text. 

- I don't understand all the work done on the tables formatting. Is it still possible to insert a simple table without all the fancy options ? It's so hard to write long data in two column and keep something readable at the first try... 

We have a fix for paste and match style (it keeps hyperlinks) - coming soon

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Great! 

Were you guys able to reproduce the font size issue I described earlier in this thread?

• Ex Employees
59 minutes ago, tavor said:

Great! 

Were you guys able to reproduce the font size issue I described earlier in this thread?

If you're referring to the font being pasted in two different sizes as you reported earlier, yes, we've been able to reproduce that and the devs are aware of it.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, tarun agrawal said:

There are lot of issues with this new version:

1. It has disabled the option for 'simplify formatting (Ctrl +space)', which was very important as it helped in making my notes as per my default fonts and size.

2. There has to be an option for the users to select these new features as per their wish.

3. These new features serve no great purpose. It has become complex now.

Not disabled (technically) - simplify is not working correctly - Dev is looking at it now

12 hours ago, xaa said:

You might consider keeping previous versions of all installers but for now, version 6.5.4 is still downloadable from http://download.cnet.com/Evernote/3000-2381_4-10425994.html

EN might also make earlier versions available for those who don't keep them.

12 hours ago, mmmaniya2@gmail.com said:

I liked to insert horizontal lines into tables for more separation. Now I can do it only in version 6.6.2.5173  from 2 june. Please fix it. I have payed acc but now I have to downgrade Evernote for my needs. 

6qUW23DnSSu0XazQfmFWQw.jpeg

Sorry, this is currently by design 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Schmurtz said:

Waiting for the fix of the ctrl + shift + V.

I agree to say that this little feature is very important :)

It's such a basic and I would imagine often-used feature that having this error in a GA release makes me wonder if EN employees use Evernote betas for their own work. Seems they wait for GA releases like most users, because there's no way this bug could have survived beta testing if most EN employees used betas for their own work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, vitorandresantos said:

Usual excuse for "it's too much effort to fix". :)

Sometimes it's just shorthand for "the implications of adding this would take more time/effort than we can afford currently, but we hope to get to it later."

8 hours ago, tavor said:

It's such a basic and I would imagine often-used feature that having this error in a GA release makes me wonder if EN employees use Evernote betas for their own work. Seems they wait for GA releases like most users, because there's no way this bug could have survived beta testing if most EN employees used betas for their own work.

I would hope EN employees do not use Beta versions for their work. Betas are for testing, NOT live work and using them for that can, and probably would, cause major problems. EN has enough problems that they don't need to create more by using beta software for real-world work.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Schmurtz said:

Waiting for the fix of the ctrl + shift + V.

I agree to say that this little feature is very important :)

Paste and Match Style - Target is 6.7 - hopefully as soon as the first Beta

Paste and Match style removes these - font, size, color, align, indent, trailing whitespace (note: it won't remove items tagged as Headers (like the title of some articles) ) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Paste and Match Style - Target is 6.7 - hopefully as soon as the first Beta

Paste and Match style removes these - font, size, color, align, indent, trailing whitespace (note: it won't remove items tagged as Headers (like the title of some articles) ) 

So how would Paste and Match Style work as intended for titles or other text tagged as Headers? Assume the font, size, color, etc. of the source text?

17 minutes ago, tavor said:

So how would Paste and Match Style work as intended for titles or other text tagged as Headers? Assume the font, size, color, etc. of the source text?

Yes, with the larger Text size gained from the Header Tag(s) (as in the header tag HTML uses)

What should the desired behavior be?

7 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

I'm just guessing here but perhaps "Match Style" of the destination as in, if the destination is already 10pt bold, the pasted stuff assumes the 10pt bold.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Yes, with the larger Text size gained from the Header Tag(s) (as in the header tag HTML uses)

39 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

I'm just guessing here but perhaps "Match Style" of the destination as in, if the destination is already 10pt bold, the pasted stuff assumes the 10pt bold.

^^^ This.

When I choose Paste and Match Style, it's because I want to use the formatting I have in my note. If I wanted the source formatting, I would simply Paste.

At least in my use, copying titles/headings is a very large % of the copying/pasting I do in EN because I want the title and link in an EN note that covers a particular topic for which that source article is reference material. I may have multiple such articles linked within one EN note. So with the proposed Paste and Match Style, I am left with two options:

1. text of differing random sizes and a resulting sloppy looking note (which ironically counteracts Evernote's seeming constant push to prioritize aesthetics even at the expense of functionality/productivity)

2. manually edit the style of items I pasted using Paste and Match Style so that the items actually match the style of the note

I think preserving hyperlinks is a great idea, and it certainly saves me time over my process prior to v6.6, which is to Paste and Match Style, then manually create the hyperlink. But I think Match Style should do just that. We already have simple Paste (CTRL+V) to preserve the formatting of source text.

I think if you start a poll on this, the overwhelming response would favor Paste and Match Style do what it says and NOT make an exception for copied titles/headers. In fact, if EN insists on this route, I'll have to create a macro to replace Paste and Match Style with Paste and Match Style, then select the text and edit the formatting to match my EN default formatting.

Edit: I started a thread on this particular issue here: 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, tavor said:

^^^ This.

When I choose Paste and Match Style, it's because I want to use the formatting I have in my note. If I wanted the source formatting, I would simply Paste.

At least in my use, copying titles/headings is a very large % of the copying/pasting I do in EN because I want the title and link in an EN note that covers a particular topic for which that source article is reference material. I may have multiple such articles linked within one EN note. So with the proposed Paste and Match Style, I am left with two options:

1. text of differing random sizes and a resulting sloppy looking note (which ironically counteracts Evernote's seeming constant push to prioritize aesthetics even at the expense of functionality/productivity)

2. manually edit the style of items I pasted using Paste and Match Style so that the items actually match the style of the note

I think preserving hyperlinks is a great idea, and it certainly saves me time over my process prior to v6.6, which is to Paste and Match Style, then manually create the hyperlink. But I think Match Style should do just that. We already have simple Paste (CTRL+V) to preserve the formatting of source text.

I think if you start a poll on this, the overwhelming response would favor Paste and Match Style do what it says and NOT make an exception for copied titles/headers. In fact, if EN insists on this route, I'll have to create a macro to replace Paste and Match Style with Paste and Match Style, then select the text and edit the formatting to match my EN default formatting.

Edit: I started a thread on this particular issue here: 

Thank you.  Please keep the feedback coming, I am sharing with the Product Folks

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Actually no, it was chosen to be that way and we moved on to other improvements

Well if that's the case one might consider removing the horizontal line icon from the tool bar.  Typically only the options available are displayed.  If it's by design and all...  ;)

Hello.
I really am looking forward to these new updates.
But more importantly, now, I am having difficulties with syncing. I live in China and use Evernote International, but time and time again it is becoming more annoying to get my devices to be in sync. Currently, I can only manage to sync through a VPN, if ever it does.
Are you aware of this situation? what can we users of Evernote in China do?

Thank you.

The paste issue (ctrl+shift+v) seems fix on the latest beta realease v6.7.1.5538 (305538) Prerelease
Many thanks for your quick action. 

why not a simple past as plain-text anymore?
ctrl+shift+v should paste as plain-text. No formatting, no links, nothing. plain text only. 

• Like 1
On 10/08/2017 at 1:14 PM, xaa said:

why not a simple past as plain-text anymore?
ctrl+shift+v should paste as plain-text. No formatting, no links, nothing. plain text only.

Agree with that : plain text only.

If hyperlinks are userful for some users it should be an option in settings : "keep hyperlinks on copy/paste"

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/9/2017 at 5:22 PM, csihilling said:

Well if that's the case one might consider removing the horizontal line icon from the tool bar.  Typically only the options available are displayed.  If it's by design and all...  ;)

Or they could just put a strikeout line on it on the menu... ;) 

On 8/3/2017 at 3:01 PM, JohnLongney said:

Am I the only one having some specific printing problems with 6.6? 

To be precise, those wonderful new tables do not print  as formatted.  

Anything else from within Evernote will print as saved and seen on display.

Win 10,  32/64Bit  Creators Update.

Known issue? Any idea how to fix?

as formated.png

as print preview shows.png

YES!  I am having the same thing!!!  Will you please fix this?  It looks good on the note, but the color doesn't print out!!!

I have realised that with the recent update - the feature to remove hyperlinks has been removed unless you right click and remove each hyperlink - which also removes formatting.  Can we please fix this in the next iteration.

steps - copy any text with hyperlinks - highlight in the note and hit CTRL + SHIFT + R - it looks like it does something, but all the hyperlinks remain.  

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Arwith Grande said:

I have realised that with the recent update - the feature to remove hyperlinks has been removed unless you right click and remove each hyperlink - which also removes formatting.  Can we please fix this in the next iteration.

steps - copy any text with hyperlinks - highlight in the note and hit CTRL + SHIFT + R - it looks like it does something, but all the hyperlinks remain.  

I'm on v6.7 beta, and CTRL+SHIFT+R works fine. Can't recall if I tried it in v6.6.

1 hour ago, pdwhoward said:

Any updates on fixing the formatting? When you click to remove formatting, Evernote does not remove formatting. It used to work perfectly.

I would also like this function back !!!!!

• Like 2
On 8/12/2017 at 0:26 PM, N. Lum said:

YES!  I am having the same thing!!!  Will you please fix this?  It looks good on the note, but the color doesn't print out!!!

Yes there is a printing problem, it will be fixed - the fixed won't be ready for 6.7

23 hours ago, pdwhoward said:

Any updates on fixing the formatting? When you click to remove formatting, Evernote does not remove formatting. It used to work perfectly.

Working on it, currently headers are still being retained (Like header 1, 2, 3 etc from websites)

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Working on it, currently headers are still being retained (Like header 1, 2, 3 etc from websites)

Is the current plan to change this to remove header formatting when using Paste and Match Style, or is EN still planning on retaining the header formatting for a function that would more appropriately be named Paste and Kinda Sorta Match Style? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, tavor said:

Is the current plan to change this to remove header formatting when using Paste and Match Style, or is EN still planning on retaining the header formatting for a function that would more appropriately be named Paste and Kinda Sorta Match Style? 

Everything should be removed. Only the ASCII should survive.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, EdH said:

Everything should be removed. Only the ASCII should survive.

I'd like hyperlinks to be retained, but that's it. Hyperlinks are easier to remove than to add.

All the formatting - font, font size, line spacing, indents, etc. should all be stripped out and match the style of the target EN note.

Beats me why EN thought that users wanted Paste and Match Style to retain formatting if the source material is encoded as a header. All of the comments I've seen since this was introduced in v6.6 (per earlier comment in this thread, this seems to be intentional, as opposed to the Paste and Match Style bugs that v6.6 also introduced) have been opposed to this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, tavor said:

I'd like hyperlinks to be retained, but that's it. Hyperlinks are easier to remove than to add.

All the formatting - font, font size, line spacing, indents, etc. should all be stripped out and match the style of the target EN note.

Beats me why EN thought that users wanted Paste and Match Style to retain formatting if the source material is encoded as a header. All of the comments I've seen since this was introduced in v6.6 have been opposed to this.

If they keep hyperlinks, they should keep feature X, Y, and Z too. 

Either it is text, or it is mystery meat.