Scanning docs into Windows

Sorry if this isn't the proper forum.  I've searched here and Google but can't find a recent answer.

I want to get either a document scanner or an All-in-One that support EN.  90% of my scans will be jpg - don't care if the files are searchable. I can find mobile scanners, but I don't think I want that.  I want a scanner or printer that sits on a desk.  As I understand it, after I, somehow, scan, it goes into EN.  After that I'm lost.  Does it scan into a designated Notebook, or into a single Notebook, from which I move it where I want?  Any product suggestions will be appreciated.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, required_username said:

I want to get either a document scanner or an All-in-One that support EN.

Fujitsu ScanSnap has some special links to Evernote, but any scanner should do the job. You don't need the "support EN"

>>As I understand it, after I, somehow, scan, it goes into EN.  After that I'm lost.  Does it scan into a designated Notebook, or into a single Notebook, from which I move it where I want? 

My process is to direct the scan output to my import folder
This is a folder I set up and designated as automatic import to Evernote

A note is created in the specified notebook with the scanned images

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're using Windows,  your Evernote account will have a handy service called Import Folders which exist on your desktop.  Evernote watches the folders and sucks any files that are placed there into a specific notebook.  So all you need is a scanner that can save a JPG file to a Windows folder (which should be virtually any scanner) and you're set to go.

As a 'pro' tip I actually scan to a desktop folder that is not an Import folder - I can change file names,  do some editing,  and generally mess around.  Then I transfer files from that 'management' folder to one of several Import folders I have set up that 'point' to different notebooks.

I'd suggest your choice of scanner depends more on what materials you're scanning - I have three scanners at present;  a flatbed scanner which is part of my copy/ printer/ scanner combined unit - used mainly as a printer;  a Fujitsu ScanSnap which is a sheet-fed volume cruncher and the best thing I ever bought;  and a hi-def Epson photo scanner for 'proper' photographic work.  Haven't used that one with Evernote yet.  I've also been known to use my mobile phone to 'scan' documents into Evernote where they're too big or awkwardly shaped to fit a scanner.  There's also a copy frame for A3 sizes somewhere that I use with a digital camera.

In general sheet-fed scanners are far better than flatbeds for volume work - less backache;  but they tend to be a4 or smaller.

Hope that helps...  ;)

Archived