Archiving notebooks

I recently finished with a few major projects involving notebooks with multiple stacks, and I would like to know how I can archive them without deleting them. I don't want them to be visible to me unless I decide to dig them out again. Thank you!

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-29 at 11:48 AM, Dan Kennedy said:

I recently finished with a few major projects involving notebooks with multiple stacks, and I would like to know how I can archive them without deleting them. I don't want them to be visible to me unless I decide to dig them out again. Thank you!

There is nothing built in to Evernote for archiving

My solution is to use an Archive tag on the notes I want archived; and -tag:Archive on searches so the notes are excluded

I also prefix inactive Notebook names with an x so it sorts to the bottom of the list

• Level 5*

Or add your stack - notebook as a tag and move them all to an archive notebook.  Prefix the tag so it is easy to eliminate from searches.  If you don't want to add an account.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Dan Kennedy said:

@csihilling, I'd be happy with one archive notebook, but they each have multiple stacks within them, which means I can't combine them all into one. Is that right? I find Evernote to be somewhat mystifying.

The catechism:

• Notebook contain only notes, and not other notebooks or stacks. Each note belongs to exactly one notebook.
  • Stacks contain only notebooks, and not notes. Each notebook belongs to either one or zero stacks.
  • Tags are applied to notes (and not notebooks or stacks). Notes can be labelled with multiple tags; tags can be applied to multiple notes. Tags can be organized into trees (which may or may not be well portrayed on different Evernote clients), but there is no meaning attached to that hierarchy. 
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, Dan Kennedy said:

@csihilling, I'd be happy with one archive notebook, but they each have multiple stacks within them, which means I can't combine them all into one. Is that right? I find Evernote to be somewhat mystifying.

What @jefito said plus. You can combine the notes into one notebook as long as you add tags to be able to differentiate them.

As you archive the project you can add a single tag for each note in a notebook in the stack, for example project.notebook, or you can add two tags, one for the project and one for the notebook.  Then move all of the notes to the archive notebook and use tag searches to find what you are looking for.  If you use a prefix for the project tag, say period, if you get too may archived notes in your search results you can eliminate all of them by adding -tag:.* to the search.

Or you can skip the middleman and just tag your project notes with project and whatever notebook means to you.  Not saying it is right, but ii is the process I use with a single notebook.  Typically focused searches don't return extraneous results when using this sort of standard.  YMMV.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived