Tools Options dialog "blank"

Hello,

I have an old Windows XP computer with Evernote (version 6.5.4.4720). In general EN works on this machine which I take just about everywhere. And EN works well enough that I don't need to change it per se. However, the app currently is configured to create new notes in a separate window and I don't prefer this setting. On my other computers, I have turned off this setting. 

So here's the interesting bit. When I show the Tools Options dialog box, most of the options are not displayed! The dialog is mostly blank. I've attached the screen grab from the EN WinXP app which has the purple title bar. You can see the section headings in light grey bars are shown. But most of the options are missing and therefore not selectable. For reference, I attached the Options dialog from Windows 10 with the dark grey title bar.

I have tried various things on the old computer including changing the Windows Control Panel desktop themes and font size. I have reinstalled EN. I have deinstalled and reinstalled EN. I deinstalled, deleted old items, reinstalled. No luck. 

Question 1: Is there some way to correct this? What is "blocking" or preventing the display of the dialog box items?

Question 2: Is there another way to change the particular option? Can I change the CREATE NEW NOTE IN A NEW WINDOW setting behind the scenes, i.e. a Windows registry setting?

Thanks for your time,
Blake

ENoptionsWindowsXP.PNG

ENoptionsWin10.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  In 2013 an experienced EN user created a shared-note database of Evernote tips and tricks - the history is here:

But many more things have changed a lot since then,  including Windows.  If there's a relevant registry hack you may find it in the shared notebook - I daren't try anything in Win10 to confirm what still works.  The ENRegEd app may also be useful - I used it for a while,  but many of the options got included with Evernote,  so I didn't have the need.

If you do find a fix or any useful information in there,  please let us know.

As regards your general queries,  you may know that you'll mostly get user advice here (...mostly).  You can reach out to Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

gazumped, I found a solution after reviewing the things you shared.

1. Launched RegEdit.
  2. Went to key location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote
  3. Found key: ShowNewNoteInANewWindow
  4. It was on as indicated by the binary value 1.
  5. I set it to zero.

I'm a happy camper.

I still don't have visible options in the Tools Options dialog but it looks like I can change things as needed with the registry editor.

regards,
Blake

Archived