Add Sort by Tag option

jfkaess

Idea

In the top right of the sidebar is the button which allows selecting the view (card, snippet, etc) and further down the list are options for sorting which currently includes Title, Date Updated, Date Created and others. I would like to request that one of the options when viewing notes be to sort by Tag. I have two uses for this: It would enable finding untagged items or items tagged with misspelled tags, and when creating a Table of Contents based on selected notes, it would often be helpful for those notes to be sorted in order by Tag.

John

6 replies to this idea

While it is true that there is a way to see untagged items, my suggestion does much more than this. It accomplishes seeing untagged notes while also seeing mistagged notes or notes with misspelled tags.

I'm using the Mac version, and there is not an option to see the notes in a folder sorted by tag. For my use, it not only accomplishes the above, but it also enables me to create a Table of Contents sorted by Tag.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jfkaess said:

I would like to request that one of the options when viewing notes be to sort by Tag.

I use top list to view my notes
I can select the columns displayed, and sort on any of the columns; including tags
The image below shows the view, in Update sequence

597923442de81_ScreenShot2017-07-26at16_17_01.thumb.png.613b13d6c2266ef2ebc108745bf9ed77.png

Thank you for the post as I would greatly benefit with a Tag sort option.  In addition, I'd like to add to the request and ask DTLow a question.

I often apply multiple tags to a note. In the GTD world, I add at least two.  One tag for the note's category and another tag for its priority.  Therefore, not only would l like to be able to sort notes as defined by jfkaess but also like to have a multi-level sort and multi-tag sort ability.

To DTLow...how do you deal with multiple tags with your workaround?  Do you enter the tag to sort as always the first tag you enter?

-David

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dvollc said:

how do you deal with multiple tags with your workaround? 

Yes, the "sort by tag:" feature doesn't exist - it's only sort by first tags

I actually implemented a solution for one of my projects.  
I exported the notes to a spreadsheet; multiple exports if the the note had multiple tags.  
This allowed sorting by tags

>>Do you enter the tag to sort as always the first tag you enter?

The first tag sort was always a hack and required the tagnames to be sorted so they were always first in the list
For example, prefixing all the priority tags with -n (-1 Now, -2 Soon....)

I don't use tags like this.
My task priorities are date based;  I store the start date in the Reminder feature
I also use title sequence and prefix titles.  For example,  (-ProjectNote, ++TaskNote, +TaskNote)

Archived