help wanted, ghost notes undeletable

I've got 2 ghost notes in my Evernote account.

On web edition:

1. These two ghost notes can be found by searching "stack:Share". But they are always shown as "Loading..." and therefore I can't delete them.

2. If the stack "Share" is deleted, they still can be found by searching "stack:Share".

3. If the stack "Share" is built again, they appear in the stack, but don't belong to any notebook under the stack "Share".

On windows client:

They are simply ignored and can never be downloaded. And the count of downloaded notes is always the web note count minus 2.

------------------------

I contacted the support team. But it seems that they don't have a solution.

I would be appreciative for any trick to solve the issue. Thanks a lot!

21 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It's possible that this thread might represent a related or similar issue:

At any rate, it also involves sharing.

Apparently it does not involve sharing. Both of the notes are not shared ones.

But your guess is right to some extent ----- they turned into ghosts during a failed operation of being moved to a stack with nested notebooks shared by other account.

Now I hope to find a solution to delete them completely by any means.

1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

OK, sorry that wasn't it. I'm afraid I have nothing further to offer, but hopefully others here will have some ideas.

Anyway, thanks!

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, actant said:

Apparently it does not involve sharing. Both of the notes are not shared ones.

But your guess is right to some extent ----- they turned into ghosts during a failed operation of being moved to a stack with nested notebooks shared by other account.

Now I hope to find a solution to delete them completely by any means.

Try creating a new note and merging it and the two ghost notes.  Then delete the resultant note and empty the trash. 

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Try creating a new note and merging it and the two ghost notes.  Then delete the resultant note and empty the trash. 

The ghost notes are always shown as "Loading..." and can't be selected.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Starting with the basics - have you tried logging out of Evernote and restarting the device you're using?  Is it possible to delete the stack?

1. Tried redownloading the database on vaious PCs. Nothing happened.

2. The stack "Share" can be deleted, rebuilt, deleted, rebuilt,... again and again. The ghost notes are never affected and can always be found by searching "stack:Share" on web.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If you're showing this error on different PCs it seems something more fundamentally weird is going on.  Are these your notes?  As in - they;re in a stack named 'shared' - did that mean shared in or shared out?  Do you have any other notes shared with the same person?

You didn't seem happy with Support,  but I think you need to go back to them and point out this is a problem that needs fixing - and the buck stops with them...

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  If you're showing this error on different PCs it seems something more fundamentally weird is going on.  Are these your notes?  As in - they;re in a stack named 'shared' - did that mean shared in or shared out?  Do you have any other notes shared with the same person?

You didn't seem happy with Support,  but I think you need to go back to them and point out this is a problem that needs fixing - and the buck stops with them...

1. Currently all Evernote clients have completely NO EFFECTS on the two ghost notes.

2. The ghost notes can be found by searching "stack:Share" on the WEB Evernote, no matter the stack "Share" exists or not.

3. "Share" is only the name of the stack. With Evernote, a stack can't be shared.

4. The support team said that they sent the issue to the development team and asked me to wait. This seems to be a standard answer for issues without solution.

• Level 5*

Hi again.  I was aware that stacks aren't shareable,  but if you created that stack at any stage I assumed there was a reason for it.  Since we have no clue what's going on here,  and useful information would be good.  If you didn't create the stack in the first place,  how did you come to be searching for it?

Depending on the number of notes in your account,  one 'nuclear' option might be to export everything to ENEX files,  create a whole new account and re-import your notes - but thats a weekend job requiring a transfer of any paid-up credit you may have to the new account,  and Evernote may or may not be prepared to co-operate with that even if you feel it's necessary...

Can you work 'around' the fantom notes for the time being?  I agree the referral to the dev team means no-one has a clue - but they will look into it (got a query there myself) and get back in weeks or months when someone can resolve the needle:haystack issue.

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi again.  I was aware that stacks aren't shareable,  but if you created that stack at any stage I assumed there was a reason for it.  Since we have no clue what's going on here,  and useful information would be good.  If you didn't create the stack in the first place,  how did you come to be searching for it?

Depending on the number of notes in your account,  one 'nuclear' option might be to export everything to ENEX files,  create a whole new account and re-import your notes - but thats a weekend job requiring a transfer of any paid-up credit you may have to the new account,  and Evernote may or may not be prepared to co-operate with that even if you feel it's necessary...

Can you work 'around' the fantom notes for the time being?  I agree the referral to the dev team means no-one has a clue - but they will look into it (got a query there myself) and get back in weeks or months when someone can resolve the needle:haystack issue.

Thanks gaz. I think I have no choice but to live with the problem.

As to account transfer, after so many years, the team never tried to come up with a FULL ACCOUNT backup solution, which means allowing user to export a reimportable backup file containg all ACCOUNT data including note links and note history. Really disappointed by the team.

• Level 5*

Note links and history (AFAIK) go with the UIDs of individual notes,  so I'm not sure how you'd go about backing up that sort of information.  You might like to have a look at Backupery which automates the export of notebooks to ENEX files and might go some way toward helping with a transfer - but links and history would be an issue.

https://www.backupery.com/products/backupery-for-evernote/

Also see: 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, actant said:

As to account transfer, after so many years, the team never tried to come up with a FULL ACCOUNT backup solution, which means allowing user to export a reimportable backup file containg all ACCOUNT data including note links and note history.

I haven't seen this posted before - You could post a feature request for this function
I'm sure Evernote has the data backed up and available for reload

You should understand that you're using a cloud application, with the master copy of your data maintained on the Evernote servers.  If there is a solution, it would be implemented at the server level, not with the data copy on your device

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I haven't seen this posted before - You could post a feature request for this function
I'm sure Evernote has the data backed up and available for reload

You should understand that you're using a cloud application, with the master copy of your data maintained on the Evernote servers.  If there is a solution, it would be implemented at the server level, not with the data copy on your device

Evernote is a special type of cloud application, completely different from cloud service such as OneDrive, Dropbox... In Evernote, links between various notes are important part of the cloud database itself. And a COMPLETE backup solution should be considered seriously by Evernote team so many years after emerging as a global service. Hope the monoply postion would not make Evernote another Microsoft IE.

Archived