Evernote for Windows 6.6 Beta 3 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 3 - you cadownload it here. This release rounds out our improvements to tables, image preview along with a number of bug fixes and is our release candidate for 6.6. We've focused this final Beta on issues around note rendering including some notes appearing blank, rendering incorrectly and copy/paste content sometimes rendering poorly. 

As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows. 

Fixes in Beta 3 build:

• Resolved issue that caused some notes to render blank in Beta 2
  • Resolved several issues that were causing some previously pasted-in content to render poorly
  • For tables copy/pasted from other programs, added an option to selectively upgrade table to new format via the 'Upgrade Table' context menu (see screenshot below)
  • Improvements to loading performance for very long notes
  • Resolved issue that caused column widths to change upon multi-column drag-and-drop 
  • Various other bug fixes

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor teams! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

New for Beta 3:  If you have a table that you've copy/pasted into Evernote from another program which includes custom formatting, we've maintained the look and feel. If you'd like to use the new table functionality instead, right click and select 'Upgrade Table.' 

5976b5fdee2c1_UpgradeTable.png.0a6fbb929d4dad2bdc5f07ded41d7bd5.png

Emoji support and improved table editing with cell merging!

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

48 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Sadly, like many other people have mentioned, my issues still haven't been resolved either. I use Evernote here at my office with a team of employees. They all use smallish monitors, and the setup we have in Evernote. The new editor still has giant ass margins and no way to change that. Also, please notice that in the note I have selected, there is extra spacing before and after a table. This note was not modified after the update

Is there some reason that you're using a beta for your team? I'd wait until release for this one, as it entails a pretty large set of changes and has exhibited some brittleness (though it seems to be getting more solid).

9 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Screen shots would help and the browser has an impact, since we pick up extra stuff.

Still sounds like everything was nicer pre-6.6

As for notepad, it is a great way to completely clean text, code block isn't quite the same.  Another option would be paste into a "work" note and run remove formatting (notepad is still my favorite option, though a bit of a pain) 

Here is what the various Copy/Paste results look like on my system.

CopyPaste 6-3-3 Chrome.jpg

CopyPaste 6-3-3 Firefox.jpg

CopyPaste 6-3-3 Opera.jpg

CopyPaste 6-6 Beta 3 Chrome.jpg

CopyPaste 6-6 Beta 3 Firefox.jpg

CopyPaste 6-6 Beta 3 Opera.jpg

With Ctrl-Shift-V the proper rendering should be everything on the same line. Those 6.6 examples using Ctrl-Shift-V have things on multiple lines. That's fine for Ctrl-V with formatting but Ctrl-Shift-V should be giving me just the text (as the 6.3.3 ones do.)

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Wilkster said:

I have noticed this prompt continuity come up when dropping files in a note in the latest beta. It is annoying enough for a paying customer to have to continually dismiss this, but to make matters worse, the prompt doesn't not show up on TOP of other apps (i.e. it is hidden) and it has a full grab on the enote app. So it looks like enote is frozen until you realize there is a prompt hidden somewhere that has to be dismissed.

Image.png

This happens with other dialog boxes too. Drives me nuts. One is when you clip a note in Chrome, then click on the link when done to open the note. Then EN reports that the note doesn't exist (because it hasn't sync'd) but often that dialog will be under other windows so EN appears locked up. Only Alt-TAB will discover it. It doesn't show up in the task bar. Any dialog box that brings EN to a stop MUST be on top, or don't generate the dialog box.

• Level 5*

More weirdness: go to https://organixx.com/ayurvedic-diet/ and clip the page to EN using simplified format. The image under subpoint 1 has the blue box around it, indicating that it can be resized. However, it can only be resized in 1 direction, which is useless.Nothing was saved to the log file. Same problem with some other images in the note but not all.

14 hours ago, FactMan said:

More weirdness: go to https://organixx.com/ayurvedic-diet/ and clip the page to EN using simplified format. The image under subpoint 1 has the blue box around it, indicating that it can be resized. However, it can only be resized in 1 direction, which is useless.Nothing was saved to the log file. Same problem with some other images in the note but not all.

Sorry about that, thanks for the info, I will file a new bug for this

• Level 5*

The following seems to be a bug:

• Create a new note
  • Create a bullet list (Ctrl+Shift+B)
  • Add a checkbox to the new bullet (Ctrl+Shift+C)
  • Paste an external hyperlink after the new checkbox (e.g. "http://bugzilla.spacelysprockets.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3141593"
  • Hit Enter to create a new bullet/checkbox
  • Start typing: the text maintains the hyperlink marking (underlined blue), not what I expect. Also notice that the new text does not have the hyperlink associated with it.

Workaround: past some unformatted text after the new checkbox, start typing, and then go back and remove the unformatted part that you added previously.

43 minutes ago, jefito said:

The following seems to be a bug:

• Create a new note
  • Create a bullet list (Ctrl+Shift+B)
  • Add a checkbox to the new bullet (Ctrl+Shift+C)
  • Paste an external hyperlink after the new checkbox (e.g. "http://bugzilla.spacelysprockets.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3141593"
  • Hit Enter to create a new bullet/checkbox
  • Start typing: the text maintains the hyperlink marking (underlined blue), not what I expect. Also notice that the new text does not have the hyperlink associated with it.

Workaround: past some unformatted text after the new checkbox, start typing, and then go back and remove the unformatted part that you added previously.

Thank for the info, creating a new bug for this

Sadly, like many other people have mentioned, my issues still haven't been resolved either. I use Evernote here at my office with a team of employees. They all use smallish monitors, and the setup we have in Evernote. The new editor still has giant ass margins and no way to change that. Also, please notice that in the note I have selected, there is extra spacing before and after a table. This note was not modified after the update

Before Update:

597b97214ff5a_marginbefore.thumb.jpg.d8cda0934a1fb7af09f964f67fbcec48.jpg

After Update:

597b972652d5f_marginafter.thumb.jpg.f97fdb8d0619bff1c91fac1195f4ae2b.jpg

12 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Cool, thanks for beating it up some more

This Copy/Paste gets more interesting. The problem seems to lie both with the browser and EN. Mostly the browser I think. Copying from a browser is perilous at best simply because of the bazillions of tags that are thrown in to do all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with rendering. Copying from something like a word processor is probably much easier as the only tags hidden in there are ones that affect the rendering. Hopefully.

A few people here have pointed out that pasting into Notepad first and then copying and pasting from there takes out all but the text. Doesn't the same thing apply if the clipboard is first pasted into a Code Block in EN and then copied elsewhere? This is not a solution, but a workaround perhaps for times when you need only the text from a web page.

EN 6.3.3 CopyPaste again.enex

EN 6.6 CopyPaste again.enex

6 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

It looks like that beta version is much slower than stable version: open notes, editing, copying text and so on.

Can anybody confirm it?

Do you happen to have any examples we can test with?  (particular notes or actions) - ENEX files can be sent to Customer service is available. 

I will try, but not sure.

And another one issue.

• Open note with links to another notes.  
  • Select text with links 
  • Ctrl-C
  • Look at many times synchronization occurs (more then 10 times)

I can see it not at all notes. I have attached this note. And write a video.  There is a popup sync windows which you cannot see on the video.  All this time I cannot do anything.

example.enex

9 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

I will try, but not sure.

And another one issue.

• Open note with links to another notes.  
  • Select text with links 
  • Ctrl-C
  • Look at many times synchronization occurs (more then 10 times)

I can see it not at all notes. I have attached this note. And write a video.  There is a popup sync windows which you cannot see on the video.  All this time I cannot do anything.

example.enex

Thanks for the info, I added the details to an existing bug that has been reported for this issue. 

8 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

Look at many times synchronization occurs

I don't think this has anything to do with the beta. I noticed frequent sync when copying text with internal links today as well but I am still running 6.3.3.

3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Thanks for the info, I added the details to an existing bug that has been reported for this issue. 

I have found the reason !!!

The sync is launching for each link to missing note.  May be it related to 'sync on demand feature', but I have it turned off.  

2 minutes ago, andrey.demidov said:

I have found the reason !!!

The sync is launching for each link to missing note.  May be it related to 'sync on demand feature', but I have it turned off.  

Yup. That's what was doing it to me today as well now that I look closer at the stuff I was copying. Funny though that after the sync, the copy proceeded normally even though the copied link was no good.

Cursor Display Bug

When editing a note, if I hit the delete key on any empty line the cursor disappears. Sometimes it shows at the top of the note, sometimes not at all. If you go ahead and do any other action the cursor does continue from where it was (not the top or elsewhere), so it seems to be just a cursor display issue, rather than the cursor actually moving.

14 hours ago, Michael Goulding said:

Cursor Display Bug

When editing a note, if I hit the delete key on any empty line the cursor disappears. Sometimes it shows at the top of the note, sometimes not at all. If you go ahead and do any other action the cursor does continue from where it was (not the top or elsewhere), so it seems to be just a cursor display issue, rather than the cursor actually moving.

Thanks for the info, investigating the problem 

Hi there,

Really pleased that table formatting is improving. It'd be great if that formatting would appear when you present a note. Shame to go to the trouble of formatting a table but then view a far more basic version when you want to share it with others in a meeting. 

Also, formatting (font, font sizes, indenting) changes between the web version of evernote (which I prefer for writing longer notes) and the windows desktop beta. I ended up having to do a select all and change font/change font size to get everything back on track again.

Loving all the progress though!

On 7/25/2017 at 2:30 AM, OrbWeaver said:

The Ctrl-V (use source formatting) versus Ctrl-Shift-V (use destination formatting) issue is still unresolved. Paste still uses the source's formatting regardless of which key combination is used.

Can you share an example?

3 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 3

The Ctrl-V (use source formatting) versus Ctrl-Shift-V (use destination formatting) issue is still unresolved. Paste still uses the source's formatting regardless of which key combination is used.

• Level 5*

This bug still exists.

When you have Download on Demand set, and merge undownloaded notes, only the header is merged, and your original note with text/attachments is deleted in the merge process left fully intact, which is confusing. I had uploaded a large note via the website. When I merged, all 3 notes were deleted on my local client in the merge, but after the client sync'd again, it repulled the large note header down as not being deleted. In any event, buggy.

When merging, the client MUST ensure all notes in the merge are fully downloaded before performing the merge, and if offline, it should refuse to do the merge.

• Level 5*

The editor isn't very robust in allowing you to remove formatting in a surgical manner.

Clip this page from Chrome - https://datachant.com/2017/01/26/power-bi-pitfall-6/

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add comments with paragraphs that are not double-spaced at the carriage return. Go to first para of that article, and split it with  a CR at the end of "Pitfall series." It is double spaced. as are all new para's.

Simply Formatting does nothing that I can see. Remove Formatting totally butchers the article.

I can actually do a decent job with the web client by pasting plain text from Notepad. That allows me to type single CR's at the end of each paragraph. Once that is done, I can sync and return to the web client for editing.

We should be able to essentially destroy ALL FORMATTING for a given paragraph and make JUST that paragraph plain text, and then do whatever we want with it. Type, add bullets, tables, etc. Not have to dance back and forth between the web client and the PC client.

• Level 5*

Seems like some nasty bugs have been fixed in this one. In the prior beta, I would occasionally find some notes that would have bulleted text disappear if ( did a paste operation into the note, seemingly anywhere. Was really weird, and not really reproducible, though I suppose I could have saved the note to ENEX and re-imported it to see if if failed in the imported copy as well. Anyhow, so far, one note that I had problems with doesn't have the problem now.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jefito said:

Seems like some nasty bugs have been fixed in this one. In the prior beta, I would occasionally find some notes that would have bulleted text disappear if ( did a paste operation into the note, seemingly anywhere. Was really weird, and not really reproducible, though I suppose I could have saved the note to ENEX and re-imported it to see if if failed in the imported copy as well. Anyhow, so far, one note that I had problems with doesn't have the problem now.

Yeah, this was really bad in beta 2. I posted in that forum earlier to day that that bug seems to have been squashed. Pasting no longer causes data to disappear that I can tell.

22 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

So  Paste and match style is still broken?  Glad I saw this before installing beta 3.  Will wait with version 6.5 for the release I guess.

Here is a problem I have noticed since the 1st beta with some information that may be of help. I have only two folders, "Inbox" and "My Notes". While editing notes located in "My Notes" folder, I have been very frustrated at the constant unwanted syncing taking place (I have syncing options set so that automatic syncing should not be taking place). This unwanted syncing is causing delays having to wait for syncing to complete every 8 to 10 seconds. I have also noticed that I do not have this automatic syncing problem with notes located in my "Inbox" folder. The difference between the two folders is that the "My Notes" folder is being shared with a partner. After removing the "Sharing" of the "My Notes" folder, the unwanted syncing no longer takes place, which is wonderful, but now the "Sharing" function is lost. Please help. Thanks....   

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, fchandler said:

The difference between the two folders is that the "My Notes" folder is being shared with a partner.

I guess the questions would be: are you both editing the same note concurrently? And is the "syncing" actually note syncing (the note undergoes a sync-with-server action), or just an indication that since the notebook is shared, Evernote needs to monitor both accounts to coordinate any changes among shared notes?

3 hours ago, jefito said:

I guess the questions would be: are you both editing the same note concurrently? And is the "syncing" actually note syncing (the note undergoes a sync-with-server action), or just an indication that since the notebook is shared, Evernote needs to monitor both accounts to coordinate any changes among shared notes?

No sir, notes are not being edited at the same time and we have verified that edited notes are undergoing a sync-with-server action.

4 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

This Copy/Paste gets more interesting. The problem seems to lie both with the browser and EN. Mostly the browser I think. Copying from a browser is perilous at best simply because of the bazillions of tags that are thrown in to do all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with rendering. Copying from something like a word processor is probably much easier as the only tags hidden in there are ones that affect the rendering. Hopefully.

A few people here have pointed out that pasting into Notepad first and then copying and pasting from there takes out all but the text. Doesn't the same thing apply if the clipboard is first pasted into a Code Block in EN and then copied elsewhere? This is not a solution, but a workaround perhaps for times when you need only the text from a web page.

EN 6.3.3 CopyPaste again.enex

EN 6.6 CopyPaste again.enex

Screen shots would help and the browser has an impact, since we pick up extra stuff.

Still sounds like everything was nicer pre-6.6

As for notepad, it is a great way to completely clean text, code block isn't quite the same.  Another option would be paste into a "work" note and run remove formatting (notepad is still my favorite option, though a bit of a pain) 

20 hours ago, EdH said:

The editor isn't very robust in allowing you to remove formatting in a surgical manner.

Clip this page from Chrome - https://datachant.com/2017/01/26/power-bi-pitfall-6/

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add comments with paragraphs that are not double-spaced at the carriage return. Go to first para of that article, and split it with  a CR at the end of "Pitfall series." It is double spaced. as are all new para's.

Simply Formatting does nothing that I can see. Remove Formatting totally butchers the article.

I can actually do a decent job with the web client by pasting plain text from Notepad. That allows me to type single CR's at the end of each paragraph. Once that is done, I can sync and return to the web client for editing.

We should be able to essentially destroy ALL FORMATTING for a given paragraph and make JUST that paragraph plain text, and then do whatever we want with it. Type, add bullets, tables, etc. Not have to dance back and forth between the web client and the PC client.

Thanks for the feedback on this, keep the examples and comments coming

3 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Can you share an example?

Don't know how to share a note but here is the ENEX file. Will that do? I have 6.6 on a spare O/S drive and 6.3.3 on my regular drive. I just hook up whichever drive I want and boot but the O/S and everything else are identical. Just the EN version is different.

CopyPaste Testing in 6.6.enex

9 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Don't know how to share a note but here is the ENEX file. Will that do? I have 6.6 on a spare O/S drive and 6.3.3 on my regular drive. I just hook up whichever drive I want and boot but the O/S and everything else are identical. Just the EN version is different.

CopyPaste Testing in 6.6.enex

In the first example in the note, which text is what was pasted in with control+v vs control+shift+v ? 

In the example example it looks like we dropped the white color isn't that expected?  (guess I am a bit confused on the broken part) 

44 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

In the first example in the note, which text is what was pasted in with control+v vs control+shift+v ? 

In the example example it looks like we dropped the white color isn't that expected?  (guess I am a bit confused on the broken part) 

The first  "Top Stories"  and then the link was pasted in using Ctrl-Shift-V. On my screen the "Top Stories" looks like 24pt with the link in 12pt underlined blue. Ctrl-Shift-V should have just left the text and had everything 10pt to match the rest.

The second "Top Stories" and the following link were pasted in using Ctrl-V so they looked identical to the web page they came from.

The shaded cells were pasted in using EN6.3.3 and you can see the first, using Ctrl-V kept the white color of the web page's text and font (Calibri 13) while the second using Ctrl-Shift-V stripped the formatting and ends up as text that follows the format of what was in the cell, looks like normal black Tahoma 12.

Am I making any sense here at all?

56 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

The first example using 6.6 (the "Top Stories") has both paste methods giving the same result. They should not be the same.

The second example (6.3.3) is correct. Ctrl-V kept the formatting while the Ctrl-Shift-V in the second box stripped the formatting. That's correct behavior.

18 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

The first  "Top Stories"  and then the link was pasted in using Ctrl-Shift-V. On my screen the "Top Stories" looks like 24pt with the link in 12pt underlined blue. Ctrl-Shift-V should have just left the text and had everything 10pt to match the rest.

The second "Top Stories" and the following link were pasted in using Ctrl-V so they looked identical to the web page they came from.

The shaded cells were pasted in using EN6.3.3 and you can see the first, using Ctrl-V kept the white color of the web page's text and font (Calibri 13) while the second using Ctrl-Shift-V stripped the formatting and ends up as text that follows the format of what was in the cell, looks like normal black Tahoma 12.

Am I making any sense here at all?

Got it, though if I try pasting from this note into EN, Control+v gets the big text and control+shift+v has text match the size of my note.  I am on Windows 10 and using Chrome to view this chat - if pasting from the web which browser are you using?  (sometimes we pick up stuff in the clipboard that messes with pasting)

my paste.PNG

RW0rthVVAu.mp4

5 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Got it, though if I try pasting from this note into EN, Control+v gets the big text and control+shift+v has text match the size of my note.  I am on Windows 10 and using Chrome to view this chat - if pasting from the web which browser are you using?  (sometimes we pick up stuff in the clipboard that messes with pasting)

my paste.PNG

RW0rthVVAu.mp4

I was using Firefox 54.0.1 at the time. I'll swap hard drives and try 6.6 with Chrome and Opera and let you know what I get.

35 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Cool, thanks for beating it up some more

OK, here we go. Two ENEX files, one created in 6.6 and the other in 6.3. The same web page was accessed using Firefox, Chrome, and Opera and the same phrase was copied from the page. Then this was pasted into the notes using Ctrl-V and Ctrl-Shift-V.

The most accurate results came from Chrome or Opera pasting into a 6.3.3 note. The note used in 6.6 Beta 3 has none of the paste operations done perfectly. As they say, close, but no cigar. (Am I dating myself there?)

Should I send screenshots of the EN rendering?

More tests of CopyPaste (EN 6.6 Beta 3).enex

More tests of CopyPaste (EN 6.3.enex

I have noticed this prompt continuity come up when dropping files in a note in the latest beta. It is annoying enough for a paying customer to have to continually dismiss this, but to make matters worse, the prompt doesn't not show up on TOP of other apps (i.e. it is hidden) and it has a full grab on the enote app. So it looks like enote is frozen until you realize there is a prompt hidden somewhere that has to be dismissed.

Image.png

Failed to sync for everytime since beta 1 from China.  The v6.5 has no problem with syncing. Please see activity log below:

Evernote for Windows 6.6.3.5484 (305484) Prerelease
User: ......
Memory: 72.3 MB
Created: 2017/07/27 10:21:12
---
Bootstrap info: loadedDatabase
---
10:20:16 [10332] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 503, error: Service Unavailable
10:20:16 [10332] Utility Store request has failed. Error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
10:20:16 [35336] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
10:20:18 [15756] Client synchronization started
10:20:18 [6368] 0% Loaded updateCount: 34040
10:20:18 [6368] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
10:20:18 [15756] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
10:20:18 [15756] * error: Sync failed due to unexpected problem server side
10:20:19 [35336] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
10:20:22 [16168] Failed to retrieve messages from the Communication Engine Client
10:20:22 [16168] * HTTP request failed, code: 503, error: Service Unavailable
10:20:26 [35336] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error
10:20:39 [35336] 0% HTTP request failed, code: 500, error: Internal Server Error

Archived