Idea for Simple Reminders Mac/iOS?

Howdy- Using evernote and it's really great for taking notes and storing ideas and "stuff". But its very challenging to create quick reminders. Apple reminders is quick and easy, but it requires iCloud which is a mess once you're in their "eco system".

So, a question to the organized world of evernote:

How do you create simple reminders that sync between your mac and iOS devices? I mean really quick, simple time based reminders.

Maybe I'm not using it correctly in Evernote, but I've found it really time consuming to create a reminder and I have to create a brand new note just for reminder, add a reminder, delete the reminder, and then delete the note. That's a lot of work for a simple Apple reminders style reminder.

Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-22 at 오전 10시 25분, wphall said:

How do you create simple reminders that sync between your mac and iOS devices?

I'm using the native EN interfaces and scripting on my Mac
The script simplifies the UI, and allows syncing with the Apple Calendar/Reminder system

The Mac/IOS syncing is automatic.  

Just out of interest, Why wouldn't you use iCloud?

Thanks for the help. I looked at swipes, like it, but it doesn't really send reminder notifications based on time which I think is the best feature of reminders (at least that I can tell).

The reason I don't want to deal with iCloud is its far more intrusive than most think. I don't want to go on a rant here, but as a past OS X engineer within Apple, iCloud is NOT a users friend. I'm only going to provide two examples:

1. Hard Drive "Optimization" and iCloud- OS X automatically pulls users content from users desktop and documents folder and stores it in the cloud. But, to the user, they can't tell. Until they're on an airplane and try to access the document and they can't get it because it's in iCloud drive. Then, magically, the user will get a bill from Apple because they've gone over the 5GB storage limit. Thanks Apple. Ya, this is really drive optimization. How about just giving us realistic hard drive options on our computers and phones?

2. Once a user uses their iCloud (.mac, .me, .icloud, etc) as they're Apple ID, Apple does not allow users to change their Apple ID address... EVER. Stop and think about this for a second. You are, forever, unable to change your Apple ID eMail address. When you combine this with iCloud, think about the potential problems.

So, there you go. Apple is a great company, but it is absolutely desperate to grow it's services revenue.

Thanks for the help!!

I'm sorry, but I don't understant what means 

3 minutes ago, wphall said:

but it doesn't really send reminder notifications based on time which I think is the best feature of

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, wphall said:

Hard Drive "Optimization" and iCloud- OS X automatically pulls users content from users desktop and documents folder and stores it in the cloud.

I opted out on that feature.  If I want documents in the cloud, I use Evernote

>>Once a user uses their iCloud (.mac, .me, .icloud, etc) as they're Apple ID, Apple does not allow users to change their Apple ID address

I may be a victim of this.  
I set up Apple with my Gmail Id and now I can’t change it.  
I did add an Apple email address.  So I have two email ids, unified in Apples Mail app

I don’t see it as a serious problem

Howdy!

Re: Notification and Swipe, I haven't taken a deep look yet, but it didn't look like swipe instigates a notification call on OS X or iOS. But, I haven't looked (I have 2 toddlers climbing on me today so I'll look tonight). Cool looking product though!

Re: iCloud- Almost everyone has fallen victim to this incredibly clever way to completely 100% lock people into iCloud forever (you can thank Eddie Cue for this!). It's not really earth shattering, but without getting deep, once your apple address is locked in your Apple ID, there is absolutely NO way to stop using iCloud unless you are willing to leave all your music and OS X/iOS app purchases behind. It's very clever actually. But here's the thing: Most people on this forum (or any computer forum) should be considered a moderate to advanced user. Now, lets pretend this is almost anyone over 50, younger than 25, or just aren't that into computers. Would they really know to turn off "HD Optimization'? NO WAY! They think this is helpful... until they get the bill. 

Bla Bla Bla... anyway, is what it is.

Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-22 at 오후 1시 59분, wphall said:

there is absolutely NO way to stop using iCloud unless you are willing to leave all your music and OS X/iOS app purchases behind. 

Personally I understand my purchases are for use on my Apple devices.  
If I want the proucts for other purposes, I seek out another vendor

We've gone beyond the discussion of Simple Reminders
I fanned the flames with my initial question about your iCloud comment

Back to Mac/IOS Reminders

I use both Evernote and Apple Reminders

1. Evernote and Apple have the Mac/IOS syncing covered

2. There are already requests to simpify the Evernote UI and we can use scripting on Macs

3. I can't imagine Evernote has any interest in implementing a Request application beyond the notes utilization

• Level 5
On 7/22/2017 at 1:25 PM, wphall said:

How do you create simple reminders that sync between your mac and iOS devices? I mean really quick, simple time based reminders.

Maybe I'm not using it correctly in Evernote, but I've found it really time consuming to create a reminder and I have to create a brand new note just for reminder, add a reminder, delete the reminder, and then delete the note. That's a lot of work for a simple Apple reminders style reminder.

Without getting into all the iCloud or not debate (I don't use Apple stuff, so I don't know anything about that), can you clarify a bit what you're wanting to do? Are you saying that you want to use Evernote as an event-reminder system, even if the event is not related to an existing or ongoing Evernote note? If so, that's really not what it's designed to do. I suppose, though, you could simply create a note called, say, "Event" and set a reminder on it. You could clear that reminder what it's passed, and then reuse the note with a new reminder whenever you need one. Or am I completely misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

Archived