Edit Multiple Lines at once

ddawsonb

Idea

A useful feature on Evernote would be the ability to edit multiple lines at one time.  For example maybe there is a list where all bullet points begin with the word Translate...  You want to change the word Translate to Copy (for example).  So you could use a key-combo (notepadd++, sublime text, and Microsoft Word use Alt-Shift), then drag mouse up the list.  Either highlight that first word or just make the edit point be the first character in each row.  Then you can press Delete key to delete the Translate, then type "Copy" and it appears on all rows selected at the same time.  This is a hugely popular feature in text editors like Sublime Text, Notepadd++, jEdit, and even in Microsoft Word.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, ddawsonb said:

A useful feature on Evernote would be the ability to edit multiple lines at one time.  
. . .
This is a hugely popular feature in text editors like Sublime Text, Notepadd++, jEdit, and even in Microsoft Word.

Well, I don't know about how "hugely popular" this feature is, but it seems of a rather limited use case to me.

Before Evernote implements a feature like this, I would much rather see a robust Find-and-Replace feature that could easily accomplish the same thing, and much more.  If Evernote wanted to give us something really powerful, they could provide Regular Expression support in Find-and-Replace.

• Level 5*

This is a handy feature, and I use it when writing code and also in MS Word. That being said, I think that having format styles would be more useful in Evernote, which is not really intended to be a good code editor, but this would still be useful even so. Upvoted.

Well, anytime there is text there may be a reason to do this.  Admittedly this is an obvious feature for coding, but my request actually came up when I was not doing any coding, just editing a list. 

Archived