How to: Edit multiple lines at one time

Many text editors have a way to edit multiple lines at one time (often alt-shift then drag your mouse).  Bascially, if I'm editing a bunch of nearly identical rows that have an extra space, can I highlight the 10th space in a row (column 10 if you will) and highlight 5 rows (of just column 10) and then delete the extra spaces in all rows at one time.  This is huge feature in many text editors and it appears to not be part of Evernote. I'm hoping someone knows a key-combo that works.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ddawsonb said:

highlight 5 rows (of just column 10) and then delete the extra spaces in all rows at one time.  This is huge feature in many text editors and it appears to not be part of Evernote.

Not a feature of the Evernote Note editor.  

You could post this as a feature request in the request forum at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/304-evernote-feature-requests/

This doesn’t seem standard proposing.  You’d want to be using a table or a non-proportional font
edited: Apparently it is standard as per the example editors identified

Can you give an example of an editor where this is supported?

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you give an example of an editor where this is supported?

Word on Windows certainly allows you to make multiple selections and apply the same style to all of them. It also allows you to make columnar selections and manipulate those as well. Some code editors can do this sort of stuff as well; Visual Studio can certainly do columnar selection/editing.

• 3 years later...

I came to Evernote from Atom because of the inline image support. I think I'll stay here, but I experienced my first friction when I was unable to select text vertically. This feature is built into Visual Studio, Notepad++, Sublime, and is available as a third-party package in Atom. I lack the self-knowledge to know if the lack of this feature will send me back to Atom, but friction frequency will determine it. I might look for a third-party package in Atom that supports inline images.

Evernote and then two Atom screenshots:

image.png.ece2609e3fb0b91e46a001c68b38405d.png    image.png.d6fa5053c9edbd9d5ac1419cf71bec47.png    image.png.f4f05948ba96f892752f1a1ec02600d3.png

• Like 1