Synchronizing notes imported from Onenote

I'm a Mac user, but wanted to import notes from Onenote into Evernote. That feature doesn't exist in the Mac version, but does in the Windows version. So in Windows 10 in Parallel's Desktop on my Mac I installed both Evernote and the Onenote desktop version.

After taking its own good time Onenote synced with the cloud. Evernote synced very quickly.

Then I did the import of the notebook I wanted from Onenote. That also seemed to work fine and 77 notes were imported into Evernote.

But Evernote does not seem to be syncing them to the cloud so they can be synced to my Mac desktop.

Some points:

1. Immediately after the import was completed, a message came up saying the import was successful and that the notes had been imported to a local notebook. It asked me if I wanted it to be a synchronized notebook and I clicked yes. After that, I check the notebook properties, and it said it was a synchronized notebook. But it didn't sync.

2. So I create a new notebook called "Onenote Import" and moved the imported notes into that notebook. That also says it's a synchronized notebook.

3. I've clicked the Sync curly arrow indicator and it seems to go through some syncing motions.

But nothing from that notebook is showing up at evernote.com or in my Mac Evernote. So I think it's really not syncing.

Any suggestions?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, douglerner said:

But nothing from that notebook is showing up at evernote.com or in my Mac Evernote. So I think it's really not syncing.

You said during your setup, “Evernote synced very quickly.”

Does this mean a complete copy of your database was downloaded?

I don't know. But I see all the notebooks in Evernote, and I see any particular note I click on in any notebook. It might be fetching them live. I don't know if it made a complete copy of the database.

Anyway, I tried logging out and logging in again and syncing. The activity log does show a sync failure:

08:21:57 [5500] 91% Submitting 250 notes for writing

08:21:57 [5500] 91% Waiting for 1 base writer tasks

08:21:57 [1536] 91% Writing 250 notes

08:21:57 [5500] 91% Waiting for 1 base writer tasks done

08:21:57 [4500] 91% Done waiting for 9 sync tasks

08:21:57 [4500] 91% Waiting for 9 sync tasks

08:21:57 [4500] 91% Done waiting for 9 sync tasks

08:21:57 [6512] Client synchronization finished, status: failed

08:21:57 [6512] * elapsed time: 1m 21s

08:21:57 [6512] * 121 items received

Any idea what this means?

• Level 5*

You mentioned the sync failing on notes imported from OneNote

You might try creating a new note, nothing to do with ON and see if it syncs

I might try that later. And I also opened a support ticket.

For now, I succeeded using a simple work-around that bypasses syncing. 

1. I exported the imported notebook to an .enex file into my Dropbox.

2. On my Mac I imported the notebook.

So all the notes are now visible in my Mac's Evernote client, and look just fine. And after importing to my Mac client, everything synced and is visible at evernote.com and on my iPad.

I don't use Window for day-to-day work, but I'm curious why it didn't sync, and would like to figure out why at some point. But since I accomplished the main task - getting those notes into Evernote - I'm ok for now.

I'm curious about one thing though. All the imported notes have a blue up-arrow indicator on the top-right corner (both in Windows and in my Mac client). Any idea what it means? I don't see that on notes in any other notebook.

Thanks.

2017-07-19_09-35-44.png

Archived