Sharing notes and notebooks

My team and I are just beginning to coordinate our work on EN. We've moved over from Google Docs and I'm not sure how similar the system is. I've poked around the documentation on the site but came up empty on some things.

A few questions:

When my coworker and I (both on Mac Airs, up to date with Sierra and the latest EN version) were both logged in and on Work Chat, I created a new note in our shared notebook. Should she have seen that in progress as I was creating and writing in it, or is there a Save feature that effectively publishes it for her eyes? In Google Docs, for example, I can see her typing.

In Work Chat, I wanted to share a screenshot with her. I couldn't find the function for adding that image file to our conversation. How do I do that?

Then I tried to share the file (the screenshot) on a new note instead. I opened a note in the shared notebook, gave it a title, and dragged the screenshot I was trying to share into it. On the left column of notes, the image showed up as part of the note. In the main page, the note had only the title - no visible file. I opened the note in its own window, and again - no screenshot.

Help me out here? Thanks.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Lola Blue Mae said:

I created a new note in our shared notebook. Should she have seen that in progress as I was creating and writing in it

No, Evernote is not that much of a collaboration tool.

Until your Mac syncs with the servers, the note remains on your computer
And until your coworker syncs with the servers, they will not see your note

There is no Save feature but you can adjust the sync interval  in Preferences; I  have mine set at 5 minutes
You can also force a manual sync by clicking on the Sync icon

Sorry, not a Work Chat user; someone else will have to reply on that

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Lola Blue Mae said:

file sharing isn't part of the function

If you attach a file to a note,  you'd be able to share the note,  and your share-ee should then be able to open and view/ edit the file if that's what is required...?

Yes. Which brings me back to that problem with attaching files:

Then I tried to share the file (the screenshot) on a new note instead. I opened a note in the shared notebook, gave it a title, and dragged the screenshot I was trying to share into it. On the left column of notes, the image showed up as part of the note. In the main page, the note had only the title - no visible file. I opened the note in its own window, and again - no screenshot.

Any idea what happened there?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Lola Blue Mae said:

That sounds like a standard action; I do it all the time.  Also, the image had to be there for the thumbnail/snippet to be created

Is the error repeatable?
Can you use the web platform (www.evernote.com) to confirm the blank note.

Sorry, no ideas on this.  I can only suggest contacting Evernote Support
All Accounts      Twitter @evernotehelps  
Paid Accounts   Contact Evernote Support 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Lola Blue Mae said:

Should she have seen that in progress as I was creating and writing in it, or is there a Save feature that effectively publishes it for her eyes?

More recent versions of Evernote have made it a better collaboration tool by improving the sync functionality.  The client applications now sync note changes to the server within a few seconds, and similarly the server sends those changes to the clients who have access to that note.  You still don't see real-time edits like you do in Google Docs, but it makes the 5-10-15 minute sync interval settings less significant.  You can see this in operation on the desktop (Windows, Mac) clients if you have your Notes List in Snippet or Card view - when you change a note, it displays a little triangle in the upper right corner of the note in the Notes List to signify that there are changes to sync, and then the triangle disappears when those changes have been synched.  You'll see the triangle stays for only a few seconds and then the sync occurs.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, phils said:

The client applications now sync note changes to the server within a few seconds, and similarly the server sends those changes to the clients who have access to that note.

@phils   Am I wrong then about the sync interval setting on our Macs?

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Am I wrong then about the sync interval setting on our Macs?

No, I wouldn't say you're wrong as Evernote hasn't removed that setting and it does still run a sync at that interval.  It's just that they layered another more "instant" sync process on top of that so as to be more responsive to changes across multiple devices/shared notes.

Archived