Due to limited holiday staffing, chat will be unavailable from Thursday, July 2 at 5:30 PM (CDT) to Monday, July 13 at 8 AM (CDT). This will allow us to reply to your email requests as quickly as possible. Thank you for understanding. ×
EmpressG

Auto sync is freezing Evernote

I am finding it very annoying that Evernote for windows seems to try and sync as soon as I "wake it up" by trying to edit a note, add a new note or search when I haven't used it for a while.  I get the "evernote not responding" windows 10 error showing in the window while it syncs.  While it syncs I have to wait, seconds ticking away and me possibly forgetting exactly what I wanted to do and getting distracted by another activity or window that is actually letting me work. It is the latest update 6.5.4.4720.  There either needs to be a sync automatically at X time or at least don't sync for the first 5 minutes of trying to edit a note. 

Take a look at Tools > Options > Synchronization. Not all the options listed there are completely clear (at least not to me). But perhaps trying it with Enable instant sync or Synchronize automatically unchecked might help.

Also, did this just start happening recently? It's possible that you have one or more notes that have something in them that slows down syncing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmpressG said:

I am finding it very annoying that Evernote for windows seems to try and sync as soon as I "wake it up" by trying to edit a note, add a new note or search when I haven't used it for a while.  I get the "evernote not responding" windows 10 error showing in the window while it syncs.  While it syncs I have to wait, seconds ticking away and me possibly forgetting exactly what I wanted to do and getting distracted by another activity or window that is actually letting me work. It is the latest update 6.5.4.4720.  There either needs to be a sync automatically at X time or at least don't sync for the first 5 minutes of trying to edit a note. 

Under Tools - Options - Note change Automatically saved edited note every ....  seconds to something like 300 or more.  Have Show advanced options checked at the bottom.  This doesn't cause a sync but its like Office backing up a document.

You can also turn off Enable instant sync under Synchronization if you like.  I think it only kicks on after you have left a note or have paused editing for a bit in the note, but it can't hurt.  And set your Synchronize automatically value set to 10 or 15 minutes.