Delete Shared Note - that someone else shared with me

Hi there,

I have many notes that people have shared with me; how on earth do I delete them? (not notes i have shared with others).

Normally, i'd just open up the windows version, select the note and press 'delete'...the note would then be moved to the trash. I can't even drag and drop the shared note to the evernote's trash bin as it has that circle with a line through it. I can delete my own notes, so obviously the issue is because it's a shared note, but I can't see any way to 'leave' the note to combat this, and I can't modify who can access the note as I didn't share it! 

I can access using android, windows and/or the website. 

Please someone help!

Kind regards,

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  In Windows desktop,  if you select one or more notes and right click,  do you get a 'move notes to trash' option?

What versions of Windows and Evernote are you currently using?

Response from support ticket (i'm a premium subscriber):

Alexander (Evernote Help and Learning)

Jul 16, 17:58 PDT

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote. My name is Alexander, and I’m here to talk about your inquiry regarding an inability to delete a note that was shared with you.

We've received other reports of this and this issue has already been reported to our development team for resolution.

As a workaround for the time being, I can provide the download for the previous version of the Window's app so you can remove the notebook. Here is the download link for version 6.4.2.

We currently don't have an firm date for when the fix will be released. Thank you for your patience while we work through this.

If you have any other questions please feel free to reach back out to me.

All my best,

Alexander

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I've just opened the Evernote Mac app (on macOS Sierra 10.12.6) and I'm seeing a note created by someone whom I don't know, and I don't know how it got there or how to get rid of it. 

Seems like this could really be bad news, and an easy way for people to spam other people's Evernote accounts. Definitely doesn't make my account feel safe if anybody can just throw notes in there. 

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, dustinstout said:

I've just opened the Evernote Mac app (on macOS Sierra 10.12.6) and I'm seeing a note created by someone whom I don't know, and I don't know how it got there or how to get rid of it. 

You should ask this in the Mac Help forum, over here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/219-mac-help/

This is the Windows Help Forum...

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

Allowing Evernote to rebuild a database will clear lots of problems,  but deleting the original is risky until you've tested out the new version.  Better to rename the original EXB file or the databases folder first.  Good to have a backup anyway.  If you have any Local Notebooks it's necessary to export the notes from the old database and import them into the new one.

What is a local notebook?

• Thanks 2
  • 10 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 9:57 AM, coffeetime said:

Hi there,

I have many notes that people have shared with me; how on earth do I delete them? (not notes i have shared with others).

Normally, i'd just open up the windows version, select the note and press 'delete'...the note would then be moved to the trash. I can't even drag and drop the shared note to the evernote's trash bin as it has that circle with a line through it. I can delete my own notes, so obviously the issue is because it's a shared note, but I can't see any way to 'leave' the note to combat this, and I can't modify who can access the note as I didn't share it! 

I can access using android, windows and/or the website. 

Please someone help!

Kind regards,

Tom. 

Has this issue been fixed?  I want to delete notes that were shared with me

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started using the sharing features in Evernote and overall I like that I see.

However, if another user shares a note with me and it is not relevant or current, I don't see any way that I, on the recipient end, can get rid of it.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a shared notebook. I know I can delete that.

I'm talking about single shared notes. In the Windows desktop client, they are listed in my All Notes. I could see if this was poorly handled that my All Notes could get overwhelmed with other people's stuff.

So am I missing something?

When I right-click a shared note in the the notes list, there's no MOVE NOTE TO TRASH command. My DELETE key does nothing.

It seems that currently the only way to have it not show in my All Notes is to get the owner to unshare the note.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Blake
Evernote fan
Plus level
advanced user

And I tested on Evernote Web. The "new" Web product shows single shared notes in the All Notes display. Those shared notes cannot be deleted. The MOVE TO, DUPLICATE, and DELETE NOTE commands are all dimmed. 

I use the All Notes view a lot. 

So, again, my worry is that if a lot of shared notes are sent to me my All Notes display will be noisy.

• 1 month later...

Same issue here. Cannot delete\remove myself from a single shared note. Tried 6.17.5.8273 (308273) on Win 10, Android (v 8.7.0) and the Web UI. Also, when searching for the note, Win desktop client returns shared note and local note, Web UI and Android app returns only a note that was locally created (not shared). Haven't tried my Mac.

This issue is still not fixed on Windows Release version 6.17. Though the release notes say "- Now there’s one easy place to find all the notes and notebooks that have been shared with you. Check out “Shared with me” over there in the sidebar." the only I thing I see under "Shared with me" is a note shared by someone that I cannot delete.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, OneStrawHat said:

Hello? Evernote? This is an INSANE issue to still have a year and a half after you were first made aware of it. And now you're just ghosting the people on your own forum? FIX THIS!

Hi.  We're (mostly) not Evernote - just other users with the same issue.  Evernote don't generally respond to input here - it's a free forum for user-to-user discussion.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's August 13, 2019. Any update on this issue? No solution on Windows or Android for me. It's incredibly awkward to have notes sitting there that were shared by people that I am no longer, and would not like to be, in contact with, and haven't been for more than a year. Please fix this @evernote.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, tomkiv897 said:

This topic is more than 2 years old and there is no response from Evernote! This is ridiculous, for something that should be simple. Seems like moderator is not paying any attention to this.@EverNote @Ian Small can you help or is there better intake process for feature requests?

The forum moderator(s), whoever they may be, are not the program's developers, nor do they have control over the development process, though sometimes they ferry suggestions from here to there. Doing what you did in creating a feature request was the better way to draw their attention to the issue, though obviously from the one Evernote support response copied into this post above they're aware of it. The forums work mainly as user-to-user tech support, not necessarily as ways of communicating directly with Evernote. For that, since you're a Plus user, you could contact support.

BTW, the @ EverNote that you and a couple of others in this thread have tagged is not an Evernote staff tag but just another user who, not too cleverly or helpfully, took "Evernote" for their username, posted a couple of times, and hasn't been heard from in almost 8 years.

• Level 5
On 2/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, tomkiv897 said:

This topic is more than 2 years old and there is no response from Evernote! This is ridiculous, for something that should be simple. Seems like moderator is not paying any attention to this.@EverNote @Ian Small can you help or is there better intake process for feature requests?

Just came across the post below in another forum. It has info on how sharing and deleting works that may provide some insight on the problem.

• Thanks 1
On 2/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

BTW, the @ EverNote that you and a couple of others in this thread have tagged is not an Evernote staff tag but just another user who, not too cleverly or helpfully, took "Evernote" for their username, posted a couple of times, and hasn't been heard from in almost 8 years.

Evernote staff really should delete that account and then "reserve" the name so that no one else can try and take it. (Or register it to use by forum moderators.)

• Like 2
  • Ex Employees

Hello everyone...

Just popping in on this discussion, if only because I don't really want @VisionCasting to carry out his friendly "threat".  First of all, I'm sorry that this issue has been outstanding for so long.  Second, I want to assure you that many things that may seem on the surface to be easy fixes can in fact be far from it.  Sometimes, when we're not very responsive, it's simply because we have no good way to actually accomplish the fix, not because we think it's a bad idea.

This is one such area.  The way in which Evernote implemented sharing notes some years back was not, shall we say, as elegant an approach as one might wish for.  There are numerous long-standing problems that result directly from the constraints of that design.  This is one.  Problems searching shared notes is another.  The list goes on.

The way to fix this is not to hack on top of a hack on top of a hack.  It is to fundamentally redesign and reimplement the way in which notes are shared deep within the Evernote architecture, and to migrate all existing shared notes to that architecture.  Doing that puts us on a path to fix all sorts of different problems, including performance issues with the current design which can get progressively worse as more notes are shared with you.

We are going to focus on fixing the root cause of the problem.  It's a non-trivial undertaking, as you might expect.  But by going down that path, we will be much better placed to work on all the symptoms, as well as be able to move forward to new functionality in this area on a much better foundation.

At some point in the coming months, I expect we'll have a Behind the Scenes video that details what we've done in this regard.  In the meantime, I apologize for how long it's taken, and assure you that we are working on the root cause for this and related problems.

Back to lurking,
ian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

Looking at the time of your post, I hope you are currently somewhere on the eastern hemisphere, and not too jetlagged.

Thank you for this insight. Shares are very valuable for many of us. Anyhow, some shares you do not want to be reminded of some later day. It can be a real PITA to have them along, without a chance to get rid of them. Any improvement of control of shared notes is highly appreciated.

I can assure you I would have something to EXPLAIN to my wife if something goes amiss with our shared recipes notebook 😉

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe this is an actually a problem and that it's been around for years.

@Ian Small, how on earth can you expect a business to use a file sharing system that gives you little to no control over those files? Not only that, but it sounds borderline illegal not to be able to delete them. If I spam every evernote user with shared files filled with ads, they can't actually delete them, right? Ridiculous.

• 5 months later...

I'm a late comer to this discussion.  Has this issue been solved in any way?  Is there some intermediate solution like making the undesired shared note become invisible or archived?  I see the official explanation provided on Feb. 11, 2020, however, it would be great to see some sort of update. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/12/2020 at 1:56 AM, Ian Small said:

Hello everyone...

Just popping in on this discussion, if only because I don't really want @VisionCasting to carry out his friendly "threat".  First of all, I'm sorry that this issue has been outstanding for so long.  Second, I want to assure you that many things that may seem on the surface to be easy fixes can in fact be far from it.  Sometimes, when we're not very responsive, it's simply because we have no good way to actually accomplish the fix, not because we think it's a bad idea.

This is one such area.  The way in which Evernote implemented sharing notes some years back was not, shall we say, as elegant an approach as one might wish for.  There are numerous long-standing problems that result directly from the constraints of that design.  This is one.  Problems searching shared notes is another.  The list goes on.

The way to fix this is not to hack on top of a hack on top of a hack.  It is to fundamentally redesign and reimplement the way in which notes are shared deep within the Evernote architecture, and to migrate all existing shared notes to that architecture.  Doing that puts us on a path to fix all sorts of different problems, including performance issues with the current design which can get progressively worse as more notes are shared with you.

We are going to focus on fixing the root cause of the problem.  It's a non-trivial undertaking, as you might expect.  But by going down that path, we will be much better placed to work on all the symptoms, as well as be able to move forward to new functionality in this area on a much better foundation.

At some point in the coming months, I expect we'll have a Behind the Scenes video that details what we've done in this regard.  In the meantime, I apologize for how long it's taken, and assure you that we are working on the root cause for this and related problems.

Back to lurking,
ian

Still no update on the issue? This is ridiculous and could even open accounts to spam or even abuse

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DIESTRO said:

Still no update on the issue? This is ridiculous and could even open accounts to spam or even abuse

You're posting in a 2-year old thread.  If you have an issue please start a new thread with full details.

• Level 5

Well, maybe Ian Small left an envelope to "whoever this may concern" when he cleaned out his desk ...

I think he wrapped it up pretty nicely that to make sharing work as we would intuitively expect it to work, there is a complete redesign needed. Which says practically we will have to wait some more until this will be tackled - if at all.

I don't see how this would open a gate for opening accounts to spam or abuse. The only people who have access are those who received the share. Sure, if they misbehave, they can spam or abuse the shared content. But it is limited to the shared content, it can't spill over. It is not possible to share a content without empowering the receivers - that's a fundamental part of any sharing.