Organizing sensitive data with Evernote? How far can I go? 1Password in Evernote

lamborghini

My goal is to store everything in EN.

Even if I have to look at just 2 sources (for example Evernote and Google Docs). I see few notes in EN, different ones in Google. I don't remember which are where. I don't see bigger picture what notes I own. It's a mess. 
So now I'm attaching Google files to Evernote, link local folders to Evernote, move emails to Evernote, etc. Trying to keep everything in one place. If not stored in EN, then just indexed.

Wondering how far can I go with it. 

I use 1Password for storing passwords, licenses, credit card infos, sensitive notes and ID's. Like as Google Docs - one more place to search.

Of course login passwords will stay there forever. I can log in faster, that's okay. I think credit cards details should be there too for more security.
But what about app licenses, notes and scans of ID's? Should I move them to EN? Is it safe enough to keep these type of notes?

I know there is a encrypt function, but then its harder to access it and I think it's not searchable.

How do you deal with it?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, lamborghini said:

I know there is a encrypt function, but then its harder to access it and I think it's not searchable.

For me, encryption is the answer for sensitive data

I use file attachments in my notes, PDF, Word/Pages, Excel/Numbers.  They all have built in encryption

For searching, I mostly use the note title, but can also include unencrypted text in the note 

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use file attachments in my notes, PDF, Word/Pages, Excel/Numbers.  They all have built in encryption

Hmm, so when I add attachment to note it's already encrypted? I can make .doc file with my passwords and they'll be 100% safe in EN?

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-15 at 오전 7시 52분, lamborghini said:

Hmm, so when I add attachment to note it's already encrypted? I can make .doc file with my passwords and they'll be 100% safe in EN?

Correct; you might check the encryption levels used

edited: To be clear, you are responsible for applying encryption in the app processing the file.  This is external to Evernote

• Level 5*
On 7/15/2017 at 3:31 AM, lamborghini said:

How do you deal with it?

You could consider putting some of your sensitive information in Local Notebooks.  Those notes aren't on the web and you have to backup them up yourself, but they are searchable and viewable in the desktop client.  If you need the notes in a mobile client encryption is the solution.

Side note, you should backup your synced notes as well since that this the only way to recover deleted notes that have been purged from trash.

• Level 5*
On 7/15/2017 at 10:52 AM, lamborghini said:

Your doc file is encrypted only if you choose to encrypt it using your word processing app, or some third party app. As far as I know, EN does not encrypt attachments by default.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If you're managing passwords I'd strongly recommend a password manager which can fill in login fields for you,  change passwords in bulk,  and generate new random passwords with the right characters and numbers automatically.  I use LastPass.

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-15 at 오전 1시 31분, lamborghini said:

I use 1Password for storing passwords, licenses, credit card infos, sensitive notes and ID's. Like as Google Docs - one more place to search.

Like @gazumped, I use LastPass for my passwords; including my Evernote password

This is not a question of storage; I'm covered with Evernote

The password manager apps allow me quick and easy access 
I could manage without one but it would be much effort to retrieve my username/password and paste into a login screen. This is quicky done by Lastpass

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

Like @gazumped, I use LastPass for my passwords; including my Evernote password

This is not a question of storage; I'm covered with Evernote

The password manager apps allow me quick and easy access 
I could manage without one but it would be much effort to retrieve my username/password and paste into a login screen. This is quicky done by Lastpass

What about your ID scan or family member scans?

I don't have problems to keep my personal life on someone's servers but maybe it's bad approach. Also impossible to hide all private stuff nowadays...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lamborghini said:

What about your ID scan or family member scans?

I don't have problems to keep my personal life on someone's servers but maybe it's bad approach. Also impossible to hide all private stuff nowadays...

Evernote is my filing for everything 
For sensitive data

1. I use encryption
  2. As @csihilling suggested; you can use Local Notebooks (Mac/Win)
    The data is not uploaded to a server
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For sensitive date

1. I use encryption

@tavor said:
"Your doc file is encrypted only if you choose to encrypt it using your word processing app, or some third party app. As far as I know, EN does not encrypt attachments by default."

So you upload encrypted file (using ms word for example) to EN?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, lamborghini said:

Your doc file is encrypted only if you choose to encrypt it using your word processing app, or some third party app. As far as I know, EN does not encrypt attachments by default."

So you upload encrypted file (using ms word for example) to EN?

Correct, I do my encryption in the native apps outside of Evernote

Evernote has an encryption feature but it’s limited to text within a note and not all platforms.  Also, I do not want to be locked into Evernote

• Level 5*

On a more general basis I have various levels of security.  Some of my stuff is on paper and will not ever get scanned,  uploaded or otherwise added to electronic media.  Other files (some encrypted) are on my main computer or in the cloud and linked to Evernote so they're findable with a search.  Some information is in encrypted notes,  with lots more in attached encrypted PDF or other files.  The rest is just standard notes and attachments.  All passwords are in LastPass.  With the exception of the encrypted notes,  all of that is 'portable' should Evernote have problems.  It's also backed up regularly in case I have problems!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Some of my stuff is on paper and will not ever get scanned,  uploaded or otherwise added to electronic media. 

Is there any reason for excluding some documents.  Not trusting encryption?

I scan everything but should have noted it’s important to retain the hard copy of some documents, for example passport, birth certificate, ...

• Level 5*

I may have oversold that one - the general motto is "if in doubt,  Evernote",  but there are bits of personal stuff - diaries,  letters,  whatever;  that hover somewhere between not being worth scanning,  and too personal for any inheritors (or snoopers) going through my account to see.  Plus the sight and feel of actual paper is part of the experience.  I'm just an old softy at heart...  <_<

Plus,  as you say,  there are some things I need to keep on paper,  but have also been scanned.  I've a couple of those pretentious,  heavyweight,  professional certificates that I could put on the wall if I had the space...

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

On 25/07/2017 at 2:34 AM, DTLow said:

Well, I don't care too much about "snoopers"... Every site spy us, even Facebook asks for scan of ID to verify account. 

I want to make my life easier. Passwords yes in LastPass or 1Password, because they're encrypted and it's easier to log in. (I have different password to each service)

But for example licenses? I think it's okay to store them in Evernote. I can always add some notes, check buy date, attach receipt, etc. - all in one. 
Should I encrypt it? Hmm it would not make my life easier. What bad can happen if I don't encrypt it? I think 2-step verification on Evernote is enough to be safe about my notes. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, lamborghini said:

What bad can happen if I don't encrypt it?

You probably don’t own a paper shredder either  :)

There are definitely some documents that need encryption; like passwords.  Other documents depend on your personal level of paranoia.  I’m selective about what gets encrypted - this will change when my data gets hijacked

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You probably don’t own a paper shredder either  :)

There are definitely some documents that need encryption; like passwords.  Other documents depend on your personal level of paranoia.  I’m selective about what gets encrypted - this will change when my data gets hijacked

I was paranoid about many things in the past. But I've figured out that no one cares about my data. Apple workers doesn't care about my photos, Google workers doesn't care about my finance reports, and Evernote doesn't care about my diary, personal thoughts etc. 

Password and Credit Card numbers - yes, definitely should be encrypted. I can lose money if someone hack my account and get this data. (but if he hacked account, he probably know how to hack encryption too?)

• 2 months later...

Excuse me for budding / butting in but how do I make a local notebook?  Yes, I understand that it goes against the awesomeness that is EN but like others in various threads, there are many client notes that should never be synched anywhere.  And I make regular backups to all of my files on my computer.  That's not the issue.  I create a new notebook and my options are either Private or Shared.  But both get synced.  WHERE OH WHERE do I make or assign a notebook to be local?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 10/15/2017 at 12:18 PM, bettypeek said:

Excuse me for budding / butting in but how do I make a local notebook?  Yes, I understand that it goes against the awesomeness that is EN but like others in various threads, there are many client notes that should never be synched anywhere.  And I make regular backups to all of my files on my computer.  That's not the issue.  I create a new notebook and my options are either Private or Shared.  But both get synced.  WHERE OH WHERE do I make or assign a notebook to be local?

Thanks.

Which EN app are you using? In the Windows app, it's File > New Local Notebook.

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-15 at 9:18 AM, bettypeek said:

how do I make a local notebook? 

On a Mac, hold down the option key before pressing File59e8c58cc307c_ScreenShot2017-10-19at08_31_20.png.1cc55e3f5c599aae60fb8144a8d52e3c.png

Make sure you backup your local notebook data.  These notebooks are not processed by Evernote and will get lost if the database is rebuilt

Archived