Hyperlink Automatic or Not

apexadam

Idea

I want the ability to turn on or off automatic hyperlinking.  Not after the fact as an edit but the presumption.  The current automatic hyperlink is a fatal flaw.  If the option already exists, can you inform me how I might set Evernote to "never automatically hyperlink"?  In addition, there should be an option to highlight a word and right-click restore or add the hyper link to the selection if desired.  So, the exception is in the end-users control.  Pretty simple, really.  I am a long time paid subscriber, this seemingly lacking feature annoys me to the point of looking at OneNote.  BTW.  I use all OSs and mobile platforms, but this, I was told was the best place to put the suggestion.
-adam

• Like 3

22 replies to this idea

I feel your pain on this. I don't work on anything client-side, but for what it's worth I gave it an upvote.

For now, cmd+A, cmd+shift+K (or corresponding ctrl commands for Windows edit: ctrl+A, ctrl+R) should strip out all links pretty fast. I know it's not the same, though, especially if there are a couple of links you do want.

Also looks like on Mac client selecting some text and doing cmd+shift+K actually removes all links from the document rather than just the links touching the selection. Bug report time...

• Like 2

Yes, I want NO automatic links to anything anywhere, and can't believe there is no way to disable this.  Emails, paths, etc.  At least it should be an option in the formatting menu so that you can turn it off for one note, or notebook or something.  It turns any domain name into something that it thinks you can click on, which will do NOTHING, because it is NOT a webserver.

Arg...    :)

• Like 3

Can an Evernote employee please comment on this request?  It's been almost a year since @apexadam posted this.  Saw another post for the same issue and nobody's replied to that since it was created almost a year ago.

A huge issue I run into is that  some links I reference in my notes actually execute functions (e.g., delete a solr index).  I risk accidentally executing code on a server unless I remove the hyperlink.  Furthermore,  I even risk clicking the link while I'm trying to remove it.  This is a major daily inconvenience and risk.  Please make this a configurable option.

Thanks,

-Nes

I want to confirm that this feature would be an incredible time-saving and quality-of-life improvement for me too.  I've seen so many people question why in the world would anyone want to turn the feature off?  If you are a developer or anyone who needs to copy/paste code snippets to Evernote, you will immediately see why this default behavior is a major hassle.  Try pasting a bunch of curl commands into Evernote and you will have a page full of things you will accidentally click on, which will take you away from Evernote to a browser.  It's an awful waste of time going through so many links on my mac, right-clicking on the link, and using cmd + shift + k to remove the link.  And you must remove each link individually--seriously?  I just finished removing hundreds of links while transferring various notes from Sublime and Eclipse to Evernote, and that's how I stumbled onto this request.

Just because you may find the default behavior useful, there are thousands of people like me and apexdam who don't.  I strongly support the idea of making this optional.  I just wanted to provide a real use case for why this default behavior is a major annoyance for many of your customers. 

Finally, even though I'm griping, I still love Evernote.  I'm glad to be a paying customer.  Evernote has saved me so much time overall, and I'm able to use it to help folks on my team who aren't much into taking notes.  It's helped save our bacon many times.

Thanks,

-Nes

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion....   If the K command is remove hyperlinks, that looks like ctrl-shift-R, actually.  :)       I never got around to even looking for that.

So, if that is in the menu, seems easy enough to have a "don't do" option.  Sigh.....

@rezecib, awesome tip.  Thanks a million!  I'm actually on a Windows machine right now, but can confirm as @boaterva added that it works on Windows using ctrl + a, ctrl + shift + r.  Will test Mac (using relevant Mac keys) tomorrow when I get back to work.  You made my day, and again, thank you.  And thank you @boaterva for providing helpful input too.

Edited by Nes
Corrected my windows keyboard shortcut typo. thanks @boterva.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are so many companies out there now whose company name includes the .com that we really need to be able to turn off the auto-linking. I'm getting very tired of having to stop typing to remove a hyperlink every time I refer to one of these companies in a note.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Nes said:

Can an Evernote employee please comment on this request? 

The purpose of the feature request forums is to gather new ideas for Evernote, and collect other users' interest in those new ideas. Sometimes Evernote employees chime in, often they do not.

I noticed that there are no votes for this idea. If you like the feature, then you should do that...

Thanks jefito.  I upvoted like you suggested.  You aren't an evernote employee right?  Wish one of their employees would comment on this.

Edited by Nes
Asked jefito a question he already indirectly answered

Upvoting this, please give us an update Evernote!  More often than not, I don't want my urls hyperlinked.  If I do, I'll command+k it.

All it takes is a simple addition to the Preferences menu, which is pretty sparse / in need of love, so...give it a new friend!

(on a Mac btw)

You can use CTRL+SHIFT+V (on Windows) to insert larger text without links. This works great if you insert many addresses. It also works if something in your pasted text looks like an e-mail or URL (e.g. "abc.net" will look like a link in "d:\abc.net\whatever.exe" for Evernote... yeah that suck, but CTRL+SHIFT+V will work for that).

If you insert just one e-mail or URL then it will not work. You will have to use CTRL+SHIFT+R to remove the link afterwards. For example root@myserver.vlan will look like an e-mail for Evernote... Sigh... Annoying.

Is there any update to this? This forced auto-hyperlinking is driving me crazy. I up-voted this but it's from 2017 and currently it's 2022 and nothing has happened. So after 5 years it's not important enough to execute? 

Every paste that has ASP.NET, or a localhost URI, is automatically hyperlinking - hundreds of times. It should NOT do this. I do NOT want it to do this. I should have the option of pasting formatted text that does NOT automatically try to guess what is a hyperlink and add a hyperlink. Only HTML that already has a hyperlink is OK, but even then I'd like the ability to turn that off. I can re-add it myself for each case I want.

--Chris

We really need this feature. I just want to be able to completely turn off hyperlinks all together or somehow easily remove them. I have included a screenshot of the type of links I end up getting all the time and it's extremely annoying to have to deal with. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 10.10.47 AM.png

On 11/9/2017 at 11:22 PM, Nes said:

I want to confirm that this feature would be an incredible time-saving and quality-of-life improvement for me too.  I've seen so many people question why in the world would anyone want to turn the feature off?  If you are a developer or anyone who needs to copy/paste code snippets to Evernote, you will immediately see why this default behavior is a major hassle.  Try pasting a bunch of curl commands into Evernote and you will have a page full of things you will accidentally click on, which will take you away from Evernote to a browser.  It's an awful waste of time going through so many links on my mac, right-clicking on the link, and using cmd + shift + k to remove the link.  And you must remove each link individually--seriously?  I just finished removing hundreds of links while transferring various notes from Sublime and Eclipse to Evernote, and that's how I stumbled onto this request.

Just because you may find the default behavior useful, there are thousands of people like me and apexdam who don't.  I strongly support the idea of making this optional.  I just wanted to provide a real use case for why this default behavior is a major annoyance for many of your customers. 

Finally, even though I'm griping, I still love Evernote.  I'm glad to be a paying customer.  Evernote has saved me so much time overall, and I'm able to use it to help folks on my team who aren't much into taking notes.  It's helped save our bacon many times.

Thanks,

-Nes

You've touched on one of my pet peeves in discussion forums. Question: how can I do [this]? Answer: Why would you want to do that?

Upvoted, agree with everything you've said :)

Ellen

Please, no automatic hyperlink. Every time I write codefile.java it creates a link, then I "unlink" it. Then when I hit enter it create is again - please don't create it again :(.

Upvote.