(Archived) Hell on earth = searching for a phrase in Evernote

scotty321

Idea

How in the world can I search for a PHRASE within Evernote for Mac?

Let's say I'm searching for the phrase "I love you" in my notes.

Evernote CAN'T FIND THAT PHRASE, because it thinks I'm looking for "I" OR "love" OR "you", instead of "I love you" as an entire phrase.

So as a result, Evernote highlights just about every single note in the entire program, and highlights every single matching word. It highlights every single "I" that it can find, it highlights every single "love" that it can find, and it highlights every single "you" that it can find.

What good is a note-taking product if we can't actually find what we want to find when it comes time to finding it? Isn't this one of the very basic necessities for a note-taking program?

I've tried everything that I can possibly think of to try to get Evernote to find the phrase, including putting quotes around the phrase, but yet Evernote refuses to find the phrase.

How can I get this to work properly.

I've never had any other note-taking program on the Mac have this much difficulty finding a phrase.

It's so clear that the Evernote team just ported this over from Windows.

6 replies to this idea

Hmm - in Windows I just carried out a test.

I searched for important and found a load of notes. I saw that in one of them there was the text important event.

I then searched for event and found another load of notes.

I then searched for "important event" with the double quotes and it found that one note for me with the phrase highlighted.

(I don't have a Mac to test with, sorry.)

Evernote CAN'T FIND THAT PHRASE, because it thinks I'm looking for "I" OR "love" OR "you", instead of "I love you" as an entire phrase.

On the Windows client, it looks for notes containing ALL the words I, love, you. As Ghurka mentioned, try enclosing a phrase in quotes.

It's so clear that the Evernote team just ported this over from Windows.

Apparently not, since it works fine on the Windows client. :)

Ahhh, now I'm even more upset!! The Windows client is full featured, while the Mac version is a stripped down POS!! This program is so bad on the Mac platform, it's not even funny.

Quotes work for me on the Mac client (ie. the phrase, and not the constituent words, is searched for). I'm using the Mac client 1.9.1 Beta 2. Perhaps you could post an example of a note with a phrase in it that doesn't seem findable

Thanks everybody for your help... this is freaking weird, but now it's working just fine when I put quotes around the search phrase. It must be a bug in Evernote, because it started working again as soon as I quit and relaunched Evernote. :)

If you search for an exact phrase with quotation marks, the client will only match notes that contain that exact phrase. But there's a bug that may cause it to highlight other words within that note that are part of the phrase. So the note matching itself is correct, but the highlighting within a note is not. I've filed a bug on this issue, thanks for the report.

Archived